A. versi slipping

Torrid

Arachnopeon
I got a 3/4 inch versi sling a few days ago and I'm noticing that it seems to not be able to climb very well, and frequently slips and falls in his deli cup. As far as I know it molted very recently in the breeder's care so I think premolt is out of the question, are there any other possible reasons for this behaviour?

Some additional info: He's being kept in a small deli cup, on about 1/2 inch of coco fiber with a small plastic fern to anchor webs to. There are many small vent holes on the top and around all of the sides for cross ventilation and I've been keeping the substrate lightly dampened. I've offered tiny crickets with crushed heads but it hasn't accepted any food yet.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well if it isn't eating and is slipping down the sides that sounds like premolt to me, how long ago exactly did it molt? Some small, fast growing t's molt around every 4-7 weeks.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sounds like premoult to me also, you could ask the seller about how many weeks ago it moulted. Another alternative is there may be residue of some sort of substance on the walls in the cup, anything like that?

Torrid

Arachnopeon
It molted around a week ago which is why I don't think it's premolt, please correct me if I'm wrong but I've never really heard of a sling entering premolt a week after molting. I suppose it's possible that the material of the cup or some kind of substance on the cup is preventing traction, but it appeared to be happening on the plant as well.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Are you positive that it molted recently? You made it sound as if you were only told. Could you get a picture to confirm it's not premolt?

Torrid

Arachnopeon
That's just what I was told, so I can't be 100% positive. Here's a pic though: http://i.imgur.com/aWOvunF.jpg
I'd certainly feel better if it was in premolt, so I don't have to worry about it, I just didn't think it could happen so fast.

Also, the picture was on the day I picked it up, before I poked the extra holes and put in the plant.

cold blood

Staff member
A pic from today is what's needed, specifically the abdomen. It really does sound like pre-molt, like you said, you can't exactly trust what you were told.

At its size you can try live pinhead crickets, it shouldn't have a problem taking them down.

cute little sling btw;)

Torrid

Arachnopeon
I only got it 3 days ago, it looks identical to the picture, but I'll take a new one once I get back from dinner. Thanks for the suggestions so far. :)

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Certainly doesn't look to be in premolt, did you add the holes in the side of the cup after that picture was taken? There aren't any visible. With my A avic, it lost its appetite shorty after I got it, and in the end it was due to its environment. I thought I had enough cross ventilation, but once I added more it picked right back up on eating. Nothing kills an Avic's appetite qute like a stuffy enclosure.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My avic (not a versicolor though) sling would constantly slip when I first got it regardless of where it was in its molt cycle. It eventually outgrew it after a few months and I never figured out what happened.

Torrid

Arachnopeon
Good to know, means I have a little less to worry about. :)

Good news though, it webbed a fair bit over night, and just tackled a cricket a minute ago, so hopefully all is well with the little guy. I made each vent hole a bit larger so maybe the extra air flow perked it up.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's good to hear, just be careful that it can't fit through the air holes, they can fit through much smaller spaces than you'd expect.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Some morning soon you'll probably find the little molted sitting on his old molt :)

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just received four 1" P. metallica slings about 2 weeks ago and 1 of them was having problems climbing as well. I found it dead 2 days ago. Now this morning another one is having the same problem. Is this really a sign of premolt or is this another issue? I've kept slings/tarantula's for 10 years and have never seen this. I'd really hate to lose another P. metallica.

Torrid

Arachnopeon
That's good to hear, just be careful that it can't fit through the air holes, they can fit through much smaller spaces than you'd expect.
Not to worry, I made sure to poke very tiny holes. :)

Some morning soon you'll probably find the little molted sitting on his old molt :)
Hopefully :D So far he's eaten three 1 week crickets so hopefully he fattens up and molts pretty soon.

I just received four 1" P. metallica slings about 2 weeks ago and 1 of them was having problems climbing as well. I found it dead 2 days ago. Now this morning another one is having the same problem. Is this really a sign of premolt or is this another issue? I've kept slings/tarantula's for 10 years and have never seen this. I'd really hate to lose another P. metallica.
I'm not sure honestly, I know the 'slipping' behaviour of mine was not caused by premolt because he's been gobbling down crickets and is no longer slipping. Slipping behaviour in arboreals is most commonly associated with premolt, but there must be some other cause for it to stop suddenly without molting. I increased ventilation, dripped a couple drops of water on his web for him to drink, and left him in a dark, quiet place over night, and he was completely perked up in the morning. He's now acting perfectly fine and is webbing frequently and accepting live food. It might be caused by weakness from inadequate ventilation or dehydration, so I'd try putting in more vent holes and making sure they have moisture available if you're worried. Better safe than sorry.