A. versi died

poisoned

Arachnodemon
Today I was checking my Ts when I noticed my freshly molted 1 1/2" A. versi was hanging from web, just one leg attached and totally numb. I placed it in ICU, but I'm quite sure it's a goner.

I think I'm guilty of her death, because I bothered her a few days after she molted. I think I caused some kind off internal injury. I highly doubt it died because of humidity/ventilation issues, because she was plumpy and not in death curl. Substrate was almost dry and I intended to give her some water just today. There are also no parasites visible and I don't believe in some made up diseases that are believed to kill Avics.

I wanted to warn all of you, not just beginners to be patient and don't touch your Ts even with paintbrush until they harden. I wasn't hard on her, but it's the only reason I see that could kill her.

Neon Slate

Arachnopeon
I'm truly sorry for your loss.

These Avics definitely seem to be extremely delicate Ts. It's upsetting to see these threads of strange deaths for this genus. And I'm sure you were as gentle as you could be with her. Either way, your warning will be heeded.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Avics are renowned for being easy to kill don't be too hard on yourself, I've killed about 6 :(

rob0t

Arachnoknight
Avics are not easier to kill than any other tarantulas. Some of all species just don't make it.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes avicularia genus are not delicate, you hear of their deaths more than other species mostly because people keep them at too high humidity with not enough ventilation (ventilation is more important)

Thanks for sharing man, every experience is a learning one

numinous

Arachnopeon
There is a saying in the zoo world - "If you have livestock you will surely have dead stock." Animals die, it's a fact of life.

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should never prod a T, no matter what T it is after it molts. You can bug it to give humidity or whatever, but don't touch it. It's sooo fragile. I doubt however that your prodding it killed it. It probably lost a lot of moisture during the molt and probably wasn't able to get enough water and perhaps dehydrate.

Sorry for your loss.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Sorry for your loss, my A,Minatrix died last month, it's never nice when it happens.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I doubt however that your prodding it killed it. It probably lost a lot of moisture during the molt and probably wasn't able to get enough water and perhaps dehydrate.

Sorry for your loss.
She wasn't death curling and abdomen was quite plumpy for postmolt T.