A tiny Blatta lateralis colony for my tarantulas

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
BCD610F9-0D4A-423A-99E3-5B0283523133.jpeg

FA19F2BD-354A-45AB-8993-1FDCC82BC5DB.jpeg

To feed my slings, I decided to go self-sufficient. Though it’s going to take awhile for them to grow and start breeding, but in a long run, this seems a wise choice I think.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Blats (I just made that up and will be using it from now on) are my favorite feeder.

All the advantages of crickets without the disadvantages, except that they don't get very big.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Blats (I just made that up and will be using it from now on) are my favorite feeder.

All the advantages of crickets without the disadvantages, except that they don't get very big.
Yes and no. They are my favorite too, but they have the ability to infest your house if they escape, especially in a warm State

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Yes and no. They are my favorite too, but they have the ability to infest your house if they escape, especially in a warm State
That's the main reason i'm worried about using these guys as feeders, don't want to accidentally infest my apartment building

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Maybe put their container in a larger container with diatomaceous earth in the bottom. Escapees will die, only risk is one escapes from your hands/tongs during feeding.

Scarabyte

Arachnosquire
Maybe put their container in a larger container with diatomaceous earth in the bottom. Escapees will die, only risk is one escapes from your hands/tongs during feeding.
That's a good idea! Thank you :)

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Update

An additional 50 mixed size were added into (many are hidden).

39E2B2CC-7B05-4555-A81A-780FCABC1FBB.jpeg

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Id love to keep some roaches for my Ts but my mother would disown me and the ground I stood on in a heartbeat haha!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Id love to keep some roaches for my Ts but my mother would disown me and the ground I stood on in a heartbeat haha!
I think mealworm is more easy to breed, and maintain. This is more of a trial for me.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I think mealworm is more easy to breed, and maintain. This is more of a trial for me.
Ive got a superworm farm going atm actually! My mum still hates em hahaha, but a tolerable amount thankfully! Good luck with the blats!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Ive got a superworm farm going atm actually! My mum still hates em hahaha, but a tolerable amount thankfully! Good luck with the blats!
I am currently waiting for 500 live mealworm, and their bedding. I’ll try both roaches, and mealworms then will decide which do I want to keep.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
I am currently waiting for 500 live mealworm, and their bedding. I’ll try both roaches, and mealworms then will decide which I do want to keep.
I feel like roaches/crickets as feeders result in better take-downs, Kovu my MM B.albo refuses superworms unless they're very very dead and even then he ignores them. Id honestly love to keep roaches but I have to respect my mums wishes.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
They are still doing fine. Not so sure about breeding though.

D3E38A19-80FC-48A8-A44F-5FE86087EFCD.jpeg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Give them time. My small colony started a bit slow, I got about 30 nymphs In September of 2016. I didn't start seeing any ooths until the following summer when the temperatures began to rise. Now, I have at least a couple hundred and I expect for the colony to explode when warm weather returns again. I had some of the originals alive up to about a couple months ago, they are fairly long-lived. Some of their progeny have matured, I noticed a few adult males in the tub.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Give them time. My small colony started a bit slow, I got about 30 nymphs In September of 2016. I didn't start seeing any ooths until the following summer when the temperatures began to rise. Now, I have at least a couple hundred and I expect for the colony to explode when warm weather returns again. I had some of the originals alive up to about a couple months ago, they are fairly long-lived. Some of their progeny have matured, I noticed a few adult males in the tub.
Thank you for sharing the information. So for now, what I need the most as of this moment is to be patient.

• By the way, your profile picture always makes me smile.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I am currently waiting for 500 live mealworm, and their bedding. I’ll try both roaches, and mealworms then will decide which do I want to keep.
I breed both and buy superworms for my big girls as and when I need them although there was a cock-up with my last order and I received two batches so I'm not running out of them in a hurry.

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
I love these guys as feeders. We have a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko in addition to the new N Chromatus sling,so I order in bulk once a month and there’s someone to munch every size of roach.