A. seemanni got the wrong idea?

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greetings guys.

I currently got a 10+ cm A. seemanni which I'm keeping for a friend of mine. I've tried to re-decorate it's enclosure several times with lots of substrate, substrate and hide outs, substrate and tall logs and sticks, different mix of substrates and so on. But nothing works! The problem is - the little bugger won't dig!

Lot of you probably thinks "What the heck? He wants a t to burrow!?"
But yes, I do. I feel that somethings wrong since he doesn't dig! And I want him to be happy!

Any ideas? :\

Mr.Scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. seemani would'nt burrow either, and I've heard of lots of others not burrowing either. They will burrow if they like, they may feel their enclosure feels much like a burrow already and wont have any incentive to dig, or the humidity/temps might have something to do with it. What are they?

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's a hint: STOP REARRANGING THE ENCLOSURE. ;)
Yep, all that will do is stress it out.
Mine doesn't dig either. She has her hide as well as plenty of substrate to burrow in but all she does is make little divits where her favorite lounge spots are.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All three of mine don't dig but they are all happy to take over a cup half burried in the dirt. They are oppertunistic burrowers. This means they normally don't make their own but will take up a vacant one that something else has made. You can not force it to do something that it does not want to. Make a hide for it and leave it alone. If you do that, you will have a happy T. ;)

docevazan

Arachnopeon
My A. seemanni sat quite happily in it's half flowerpot for several months while on dry or moist peat, never even making an attempt to dig and barely moving an inch. One night I switched to a moist 75% potting soil/25% peat, by the time I woke up the next morning it had dug a perfectly straight 7" burrow. It's now quite active and one of my fav's. I now use that combo for all my burrowers, many who previously just hung around and never did much (granted most don't do much but you know what I mean) immediately started burrowing into it!

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, thanks for the tips guys. I'll just leave here be.