A sad web we weave...

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a T. (some say a Flagstaff Orange others a New River) and I fear his days may be numbered. I got "Spido", as my daughter dubbed him, about two years ago. Finally a few months back he molted for me, a beautiful molt. I had never seen anything so amazing before. Once done with that he started spinning a web.... everywhere. His whole cage floor, walls, "hut", everything is covered. Then he started climbing walls and being really active. Now he has a "door" as it were in the front of his dwelling and he looks as though he's missing some skin or it's discolored on his butt. I would post pics but I'm not at home, yet. Am I really going to see him go soon? Or could this be some other phenomenon that I'm not aware of? Please help! :)

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
from the sounds of things you may be right
if it is indeed a male then he probably just hit maturity
his days are numbered
but you can still get him a girlfriend and maybe get some babies out of it
i hope im wrong:(

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, you describe a mature male. Check the front legs and see if they have tibial spurs on them. Tibial spurs are hooks on the second joint of their front legs. That'll confirm it for sure. Also, the pedipalps should be more bulbous and look like boxing gloves rather than just small legs.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I was thinking about finding him a girlfriend but I might be too late. I hope not. It'd be cool to have babies and carry on his line.

I'm not sure I want anymore... very hard to lose them :(

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get females instead. They live 20-30 years on average. Some (avicularia species) live sub 10 years in general, and some (grammastola species) are theorized to live around 50 years.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a pic of him... before I found out more about T's...
For the past 6 months or so, after I found out more about their substrate, he's been on a peat moss type substrate and that's what sparked his molt and web spinning. I will take some more later... maybe you can tell the gender???
View attachment 73186

Last edited:

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Get females instead. They live 20-30 years on average. Some (avicularia species) live sub 10 years in general, and some (grammastola species) are theorized to live around 50 years.
Now that I can handle... Maybe I can find one tonight after work... I hope!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Beautiful spider. This was taken before his last molt?

There is nothing in that picture that can indicate gender. The pedipalps look normal which would indicate immature male or female, but if it was taken before his last molt, then a more recent picture would help for sure.

Dillon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gorgeous looking spider, i'm sorry hes not doing the best.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's an updated pic. See how his butt is all spotty. I can't seem to focus my camera for the tears...Sorry, I'm a wuss when it comes to my T.
Anyway... it's kinda clear... I think
View attachment 73187

Last edited:

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
can you get a pic of him from the front? Can't really tell anything that might indicate that he's a he.

...or a she for that matter. hah

Have to see if there are hooks on the front legs and bulb-y pedipalps.

Spotty butts aren't terribly unusual.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is still a gorgeous T. I hope it turns out to be female. It doesn't look too terribly "leggy" like a lot of males get.

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it's a male, it's not mature. The discoloration just looks to be bald spots from hair flicking. I noticed a dead cricket in one of the pictures. If she/he is not hungry, loose crickets can become an annoyance and trigger the hair flicking. I'd do a check for uneaten feeders and remove them. In the future try to remove any feeders not consumed within an hour or so (use forceps if you're afraid to reach in). The hair won't regenerate until the next molt.

I'd also recommend a smaller shallower water dish. The large one may be difficult for your spider to get in and out of. I'd recommend a dish no more than 2-3 inches in diameter with sides no taller than an inch. Her original dish is a better size.

-Alice

Last edited:

Binky/Carol

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Find a pic of tibial spurs. IF Spido is a male, it IS too late if he molted 2 yrs ago.
They need to find love within the first 6 months or so, if not it will be too late.
How old is that second pic?/
carol

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That second pic is from yesterday. I really hope it's just hair flicking... Do you think it might be from his/her location in the house (high traffic). She/He has never seemed to mind before... but you never know.

I feel so much better though, knowing that what he/she is going through is pretty normal. The last molt was about 4-5 months ago, I believe.

I'll clean out the cage and get a different dish and see if that helps. I also sprayed some water in there about a week ago and she/he totally freaked out (which is unlike her/him). Maybe that's why she/he threw hairs? I'll try to get a closer picture but she/he is FAST!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Your t looks fine to me. The hair loss is almost certainly from defensive hair flicking which (as mentioned) could be due to unwanted prey sticking around for too long (remove after 24 hours). It could very well also be stressed from being in a high traffic area. They prefer a quiet, undisturbed location with low light or at least no direct light.

MickeyMad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your t looks fine to me. The hair loss is almost certainly from defensive hair flicking which (as mentioned) could be due to unwanted prey sticking around for too long (remove after 24 hours). It could very well also be stressed from being in a high traffic area. They prefer a quiet, undisturbed location with low light or at least no direct light.
Cool. I'm going to change it's setting and clean up the cage and make some changes. One last question, though... Does it upset the T. if you move/ break the web? I want to get that water dish changed but that will break some web, I want to make sure that won't effect it.

Thank you everyone for everything! I started this thread thinking my T. was about to die and now I'm happy beyond beflief that everything's going to be okay. {D

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It might bug it but it'll deal with it and rebuild.