a question about compatability.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am considering getting a typhlonectes (natans), but since my parents don't want us to set up another tank, i am wondering if i can put my 6 inch clown knifefish (N. chitala) in a 75 gallon tank with my 7 inch tiger shovelnose (P. fasciatum). so, should i?

Last edited:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
LEt me start by first asking a question;

You are aware the the tiger shovel nose catfish reaches lengths of four feet, right? A 75 gallon will hold it for its first year of life and will need at least a 10 foot tank by 4 feet wide after that.

As to teh rubber eel, it will be fien with both of those fish until the tiger nose gets bigger. Once it gets bigger anything small enough to fit in its mouth is food.

PS
I love the shovel noses. My fave catfish! Good luck with your SN and let me know what your plans are for it.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i am aware of how large it reaches, that's a matter for another time. specifically when it eventually grows too large, and poses a threat to the achara cat and bicher, which i did not mention because it is irrelevant.

anyway, you misunderstand; i am planning on putting the caecillian in the tank the clown knife has now. i suppose i should have explained better. and because of the shovelnose's adult length, the setup is temporary. my question is if the knife and shovelnose will be able to co-exist without killing an/or seriously damaging eachother.

Last edited:

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Molitor said:
i am aware of how large it reaches, that's a matter for another time. specifically when it eventually grows too large, and poses a threat to the achara cat and bicher, which i did not mention because it is irrelevant.

anyway, you misunderstand; i am planning on putting the caecillian in the tank the clown knife has now. i suppose i should have explained better. and because of the shovelnose's adult length, the setup is temporary. my question is if the knife and shovelnose will be able to co-exist without killing an/or seriously damaging eachother.
The knife at adult size should be fine with shovelnose. But the rubber eel would not be for sure. Nor would a bichir, which by the way I also love. You seem to be into the same type of fish as I am, I love the odd balls!

I have 2 Erpetoichthys calabaricus and a Gnathonemus petersi in my 90 along with a ton of rainbows.

What is your plan for the shovel nose and are you possitive on the species?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you're right, i love oddball fish.

but, my plan (which i am asking if it's safe) is to have the knife, bicher, achara and shovelnose together and the caecillian alone. my plan for the shovelnose is to wait until it is large enough, then i am gong to move it into a tank large enough for it to become full size. i do not currently have any pics of it, but i am 100% positive that it is a tiger shovelnose. in fact, i only have pics of my C. cranwelli and M. domestica, as well as a few T. molitor pupae.

Last edited:

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW, i had an E. calabaricus a few years ago. sadly, it was before i knew fish such as them could effectively jump out of their tank. it was during a week-long family outing. yeah....but i was surprised at how far it was able to get; all the way across my room.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Molitor said:
BTW, i had an E. calabaricus a few years ago. sadly, it was before i knew fish such as them could effectively jump out of their tank. it was during a week-long family outing. yeah....but i was surprised at how far it was able to get; all the way across my room.
I have had two die this way:(

both times were after maintenace and I forgot to secure all corners of the top.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, the downside of such oddballs is their obsession with dry land...

fortunately, i've since learned the importance of masking tape.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anyway, anyone else think that the knife and cat won't fight?

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just thought i'd give one more chance to let everyone get heir opinions or experience in; the two Phs are the same, and my master plan's next step will take place after my dad gives me the camera, which he locked in his room.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, the knife was moved, and everyone is getting along great. but i made an error in size by guessing. the knife is 6.5" and the shovelnose is 11".