A Loss from my own ignorance...

MalevolentScorp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This could not have happen any worse. We had a horrendous storm the other night (hard rain, extreme wind, lightning, etc.) that had a knocked out the power in my house. That same night I came home from work, and wanted to check up on all of my tarantulas so I had to grab a flashlight and head into the basement. At first everything was seeming to go well, and discovered my A.brocklehursti molted finally. I then glanced down to my lower shelf where I keep my female L.parahybana and A.jereunicola pair. I looked into the jereunicola pairs enclosure to see a mass of legs... which turned out the one of the t's had killed and was eating the other. This was a horrible loss for me, they were an immature pair and was planning to breed them in the future. I kept them in a Herphaven Breeder box that had a divider, which was flush to the bottom and a VERY tiny space at the top of the divider, which puzzles me how a 4.5" tarantula could squeeze through that space :? . This loss is really of my own stupidity and misjudging the capabilities of my t's :wall: . At least it was the male that was munched, and not female... I learned my lesson BIG time and would NEVER suggest anyone to use a divided tank or breeder box for this reason. :embarrassed:

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss, that sucks, I know:(

They are so strong, the safest way is to have two doors framed out

daniel15

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's ok bro, we learn from our mistakes. just like me, i've lost my versicolor sling yesterday and i blame my self for the loss. hehe

troglodyte

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you for posting this. I had been considering dividing tanks but now I know not to. If any other lives can be spared...