A geniculata IMMATURE Male making sperm webs?

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I got a 1.5 inch genic last September that was listed as from one of your hatches. :) If the time frame doesn't match any you hatched, maybe the description had not been updated or something.
Hey, this was back in 2009 when both geniculata and brocklehursti produced a sac for me. It wouldn't be one of my babies if you got it last September at 1.5" inch.

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yeah, the timeline does not add up. Though I did wonder if perhaps I had gotten one from a later sac. It isn't important, I just though it would be cute if I had inadvertently ran across a picture of "mom" or "dad". ;)

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, the timeline does not add up. Though I did wonder if perhaps I had gotten one from a later sac. It isn't important, I just though it would be cute if I had inadvertently ran across a picture of "mom" or "dad". ;)
On the A. geniculata I know that Kelly Swift has them for sale with my baby brocklehursti I don't know if he has any left.

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I got the genic from Kelly. The description had you down as the hatcher. As I said, I received it back in September. I'd wanted one for years, and a friend had it sent to me, along with 5 other different spiders as a birthday gift. :) The genic is of course my favourite of the group, but they are all great tarantulas.

Here it is, maybe you will recognize it. ;):D The substrate is not as wet as it looks, this was minutes after rehousing and the coir was freshly reconstituted and squeezed out, but it still has that dark, wet look. I sprinkled some dry for it in case it preferred it

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got the genic from Kelly. The description had you down as the hatcher. As I said, I received it back in September. I'd wanted one for years, and a friend had it sent to me, along with 5 other different spiders as a birthday gift. :) The genic is of course my favourite of the group, but they are all great tarantulas.

Here it is, maybe you will recognize it. ;):D The substrate is not as wet as it looks, this was minutes after rehousing and the coir was freshly reconstituted and squeezed out, but it still has that dark, wet look. I sprinkled some dry for it in case it preferred it

I know the size is off a bit from the year that they were born, but I can tell you why. Before Kelly's shop burned he had a lot of spiders too feed therefore tons of his spiders weren't growing as fast, as it would if you were growing only one spider. I can't believe you got one of my babies. Please don't ever let that one go. Let me know if it turns out to be male or female. The geniculata that you have are the same kind that were first brought in the late 90's.

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Cool! Mine has a lineage! ;)

Rest assured I have no intention of letting it go anywhere. Naturally, I am hoping for female - of the five unsexed species I have it is the one I want to be female the most - but I have yet to get a salvageable moult. I did post a ventral shot, but as far as I know, nobody weighed in on it and that isn't as reliable anyway, by my understanding. It is approaching the size where the moults should be a bit better for examination. I'll provide the ventral shot in case you care to see it, but I don't know if the quality is high enough to make anything from it.Ventral shots are quite often lacking, and mine may be a bit too shadowed.. I will remember to let you know which it is as soon as I finally find out for myself. So, what year was it hatched, then? I'm still a little unclear on that.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool! Mine has a lineage! ;)

Rest assured I have no intention of letting it go anywhere. Naturally, I am hoping for female - of the five unsexed species I have it is the one I want to be female the most - but I have yet to get a salvageable moult. I did post a ventral shot, but as far as I know, nobody weighed in on it and that isn't as reliable anyway, by my understanding. It is approaching the size where the moults should be a bit better for examination. I'll provide the ventral shot in case you care to see it, but I don't know if the quality is high enough to make anything from it.Ventral shots are quite often lacking, and mine may be a bit too shadowed.. I will remember to let you know which it is as soon as I finally find out for myself. So, what year was it hatched, then? I'm still a little unclear on that.

I believe it was in December 2009 when they were eggs with leg. In January 2010 when they were finally ready. I still consider them of being born in 2009. I wonder how many Kelly has left of those geniculata.

The reason I asked if it turned out to be a male I could use the male once it matures. If not no worries, I hope it turns out female for you. Also it might be a female cause of the growth issue. Man that's awesome knowing that my babies are out there in the world.

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
First off, it is sort of nice to see that you were pleased to learn of the genic's whereabouts. I hesitated mentioning it to begin with, thinking "This may be silly, he's no doubt hatched a thousand of these, knowing where one ended up isn't going to be a big deal!" but then decided "What the heck, learning about the spider's background would be interesting..."

And while the tarantula has meaning to me, both in terms of a long-desired species and as a gift from a very dear friend, if in the future it turns out male and I could help pass its line along upin maturation, I think it would be better to do that than it would be to have it be a biological dead-end so to speak, so I will keep this in mind.
It is approaching a moult I believe, its third since I received it and I am kind of looking for it to do so sometime this month. Maybe this time I will have an opportunity to sex it.

Since you've shown an interest, I'll provide one final photo, one of the genic on the day of arrival. Sorry for the lack of anything for scale, but if it helps, I initially housed it in one of those deli containers that hold a pound of potato salad, about 5 inches across. The "burrow" is just where I pushed my thumb into the substrate in case it wanted a quick retreat. The spider showed no interest, has never created its own burrow, and does not use the hide I provided in the latest rehouse, living up to the reputation of being a very good display tarantula.

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

And as I type this, my boy is on his back under a tent!

I was smart enough this time to turn on a light, and get pics without opening the lid and disturbing him. The pics are through mostly clear plastic, so they won't be perfectly crisp, but they will be definitive.

He appears to be trying to make the spot right now, but I don't see any spot yet.

I have even caught him trying to clean out his emboli with his fangs as I have watched other males do while they are on their back.

I have snapped some pics as well as taken some video. May be a few days before I get around to posting them though, so patience.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 11:37 AM ----------

I should clarify. He is TRYING to clean out his emboli, but as he doesn't have them, it ain't working.

In a couple pictures you can clearly see his two "toe-pads", so these pedipalps are not mature yet.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 11:59 AM ----------

And he is now on top of his tent TRYING to dab up the sperm (no spot there) with his pedipalps.

I have video of this. Will take a few days to put this together an post on YT, but I will get it posted here.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First off, it is sort of nice to see that you were pleased to learn of the genic's whereabouts. I hesitated mentioning it to begin with, thinking "This may be silly, he's no doubt hatched a thousand of these, knowing where one ended up isn't going to be a big deal!" but then decided "What the heck, learning about the spider's background would be interesting..."

And while the tarantula has meaning to me, both in terms of a long-desired species and as a gift from a very dear friend, if in the future it turns out male and I could help pass its line along upin maturation, I think it would be better to do that than it would be to have it be a biological dead-end so to speak, so I will keep this in mind.
It is approaching a moult I believe, its third since I received it and I am kind of looking for it to do so sometime this month. Maybe this time I will have an opportunity to sex it.

Since you've shown an interest, I'll provide one final photo, one of the genic on the day of arrival. Sorry for the lack of anything for scale, but if it helps, I initially housed it in one of those deli containers that hold a pound of potato salad, about 5 inches across. The "burrow" is just where I pushed my thumb into the substrate in case it wanted a quick retreat. The spider showed no interest, has never created its own burrow, and does not use the hide I provided in the latest rehouse, living up to the reputation of being a very good display tarantula.
I'm glad you mentioned it, I was pleased that my old female had 1200 + babies, I actually counted every single one of them.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 04:35 PM ----------

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....

And as I type this, my boy is on his back under a tent!

I was smart enough this time to turn on a light, and get pics without opening the lid and disturbing him. The pics are through mostly clear plastic, so they won't be perfectly crisp, but they will be definitive.

He appears to be trying to make the spot right now, but I don't see any spot yet.

I have even caught him trying to clean out his emboli with his fangs as I have watched other males do while they are on their back.

I have snapped some pics as well as taken some video. May be a few days before I get around to posting them though, so patience.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 11:37 AM ----------

I should clarify. He is TRYING to clean out his emboli, but as he doesn't have them, it ain't working.

In a couple pictures you can clearly see his two "toe-pads", so these pedipalps are not mature yet.

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 11:59 AM ----------

And he is now on top of his tent TRYING to dab up the sperm (no spot there) with his pedipalps.

I have video of this. Will take a few days to put this together an post on YT, but I will get it posted here.
I have never seen or heard of this on immature males so for me it would be interesting to see.

Jose

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Here are 4 pics of this boy in action today.

IMG_2480 sm.jpg
IMG_2488a Acantho boy under a tent sm.jpg
IMG_2490a Acantho Boy Under a Tent Wtmrk sm.jpg
IMG_2491 sm.jpg

At this point, I don't see any reason to doubt he is male, even though I have not gotten a ventral shot of him.

I will work on putting a video of the clips I took together. Will be a few days though.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are 4 pics of this boy in action today.

View attachment 135736
View attachment 135737
View attachment 135738
View attachment 135739

At this point, I don't see any reason to doubt he is male, even though I have not gotten a ventral shot of him.

I will work on putting a video of the clips I took together. Will be a few days though.
That's pretty cool, never had that experience like you have. At least he is letting you know he is a male not unless she wants a sex change. Definitely a strange behavior.

Jose

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
That's freaking weird man. His palps almost look swollen to me, but not mature. I know some species will get swollen palps a molt before maturing, but this is all around bizarre to me. I look forward to the video. And I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but Id like a few more clear pics of the palps, when you get the chance too lol ;)

Later, Tom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's freaking weird man. His palps almost look swollen to me, but not mature. I know some species will get swollen palps a molt before maturing, but this is all around bizarre to me. I look forward to the video. And I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but Id like a few more clear pics of the palps, when you get the chance too lol ;)

Later, Tom
That was my first thought, once I enlarged the photo on my IPhone I can see that this male still has his regular footing sort of speak. It is bizarre since I have never encounter this behavior and heard of.

Jose

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
That is why I posted it here, because I have not heard of this either, and thought maybe someone else has had this experience.

So far, only one other person has posted such an experience, and it happened AFTER I started posting this.

Now to just wait and see if he will actually mature out.

Then to find him a mate since he not a geniculata, but a brock....

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is why I posted it here, because I have not heard of this either, and thought maybe someone else has had this experience.

So far, only one other person has posted such an experience, and it happened AFTER I started posting this.

Now to just wait and see if he will actually mature out.

Then to find him a mate since he not a geniculata, but a brock....
Hey, after viewing your specimen a bit more from your photo your male maybe "Version II" of the geniculata that I posted recently on a different thread, you may want to check it out. But I will still would like to see a better photo of your immature male just to be sure.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-07-2015 at 09:04 PM ----------

Please take the time and check this out and let me know which specimen resembles your spider http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...ersions-of-A.-geniculata-and-A.-brocklehursti

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata - 1200 + babies eggs with legs - 2009

Hey, Can you pick out your Acanthoscurria geniculata from this photo?

Acanthoscurria geniculata - 1200 + eggs with legs - 2009

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
That is so weird and cool at the same time, also am looking forward to the video..

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Jose said:
Hey, Can you pick out your Acanthoscurria geniculata from this photo?
OMG! I see it right there! The pale one with the round abdomen! Woo-Hoo, a baby picture!