A geniculata IMMATURE Male making sperm webs?

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Prank or not, April fools or not, the pic is a interesting one. It kind of looks like a sperm web, so I believe you. That would be a hard pic to set up and fake. It would be great to see pics of him on his back under it though, and a confirmation of the sex.

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Prank or not, April fools or not, the pic is a interesting one. It kind of looks like a sperm web, so I believe you. That would be a hard pic to set up and fake. It would be great to see pics of him on his back under it though, and a confirmation of the sex.
I agree. And I tried. I was SO close too!

Maybe again soon.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 10:20 PM ----------

I also gotta say that I have seen others write that pen-ultimate males often show bulging pedipalps, but I have never noticed that. That is until I saw this one. I do hope he matures, brock or genic.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Maybe again soon.

I also gotta say that I have seen others write that pen-ultimate males often show bulging pedipalps, but I have never noticed that. That is until I saw this one. I do hope he matures, brock or genic.
No problem, I think your spider is pulling a prank on all of us. Ha, ha, ha.
Amanda should be very helpful to you and I know it sucks when some of you get sold the wrong gender or wrong species it has happen to me in the past also. Let us know what Amanda has to say and try to get a clear shot of underneath your spider. Regardless it is a cool spider to have specially with talents like building heavy webbing like yours.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 10:34 PM ----------

Maybe again soon.

If he is a male your male should mature next molt. Specially if your male is that big.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 10:39 PM ----------

Agree......

Jose

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
Amanda had never heard of this either. And she has seen a lot of stuff, including a gynandromorph pokie a few years back.

She also said that at 7.5" he HAS to mature next molt.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jose, you mean you are calling my prank, or that you were pranking me on the brocklehursti? I hope the latter as I would not like this boy to turn out to be a brocklehursti. I looked at him as a mature male, saw a leggy dude, trusted the seller, and assumed he was mature. I was actually looking to see if he was (as a mature male) a genic or brock. I saw the stripes on the knees and was settled it was a genic.

As you will see tomorrow and the future on this, the day is coincidental. I am not pranking. I have posted this elsewhere, and have been conversing a bit with Amanda at Tarantula Canada for the last couple weeks on this.

I admit, it would make a great prank, but it is real. Trust me.

And cold blood, no, there are no palpal bulbs, but the act of standing over the sperm web and dabbing the bulbs was not observed because I interrupted the process trying to get a picture.
It's definitely not geniculata so no I was not pulling a prank on you. I just wanted you to be aware so in the future you can be sure not to cross breed the brocklehursti and geniculata.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

Amanda had never heard of this either. And she has seen a lot of stuff, including a gynandromorph pokie a few years back.

She also said that at 7.5" he HAS to mature next molt.
In the past I have spoken with Amanda a few times over the phone nice person and pleasant to speak with. She knows a lot about spiders. She should be very helpful to you and others.

Jose

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
It's definitely not geniculata so no I was not pulling a prank on you. I just wanted you to be aware so in the future you can be sure not to cross breed the brocklehursti and geniculata.

Jose
The pictures show an Acanthoscurria geniculata. A. brocklehursti has been classified as a junior synonym of A. theraphosides which looks nothing like the spider shown. Given the synomy, A. brocklehursti is not even a valid species anymore. Paula, et al. 2014 has shown that there are variations in the leg stripes and coloration in males and females as well as palpal bulb morphology between individual male specimens of A. geniculata, one of which matches the picture.

It is disturbing to see laymen in theraphosid taxonomy assigning scientific names to spiders in the pet trade with no evidence to support their claim while there are scientists that have done major field work and analysis to support their's. Even more troubling is when such laymen are regarded as experts and such claims by them are accepted without question.

To ManlyMan7,

Please review the article here for more information on the above to see for yourself.

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/zool/v31n1/08.pdf

Sorry I can't provide any insight to your seemingly immature male tarantula attempting to make a sperm web. As others have said, this is definitley interesting behavior since it doesn't have the "equipment" to mate.

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The pictures show an Acanthoscurria geniculata. A. brocklehursti has been classified as a junior synonym of A. theraphosides which looks nothing like the spider shown. Given the synomy, A. brocklehursti is not even a valid species anymore. Paula, et al. 2014 has shown that there are variations in the leg stripes and coloration in males and females as well as palpal bulb morphology between individual male specimens of A. geniculata, one of which matches the picture.

It is disturbing to see laymen in theraphosid taxonomy assigning scientific names to spiders in the pet trade with no evidence to support their claim while there are scientists that have done major field work and analysis to support their's. Even more troubling is when such laymen are regarded as experts and such claims by them are accepted without question.

To ManlyMan7,

Please review the article here for more information on the above to see for yourself.

http://www.scielo.br/pdf/zool/v31n1/08.pdf

Sorry I can't provide any insight to your seemingly immature male tarantula attempting to make a sperm web. As others have said, this is definitley interesting behavior since it doesn't have the "equipment" to mate.
I know A. brocklehursti has been classified as a junior synonym of A. theraphosides. But I would not cross ManlyMan7 specimen with a geniculata cause to me it does not look anything like the true geniculata. Like I stated in my first post I said that ManlyMan7 specimen is not geniculata and that is a spider that some of us are calling it brocklehursti/hybrid.
ManlyMan7 specimen has the same look and marking of this specimen of this photo. The photo that you will see was also sold to me as geniculata and the owner that had her said that this female would not breed with his mature male geniculata. The mature male geniculata was also sent to me once I received the male I noticed that his mature male was in fact a geniculata. This whole time the owner had two different species/hybrid what ever you wish to call it.

The photo I just provided and the photo of ManlyMan7 does not have the same markings of the true geniculata that I have owned or seen from different owners. For example here is my old female geniculata http://i58.tinypic.com/2ibnorn.jpg

Jose

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Ok so maybe its a mature male, just lacking the palpal emboli? Hey, i have a tarantula that has no eyes. Anything is possible. Just saying.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To make things a little clearer I believe that this specimen http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?267240-Acanthoscurria-brocklehursti post#1 is the true A. brocklehursti. Comparing my female brock versus ManlyMan7 and the specimen that I provided a photo was sent to me last year as a geniculata the markings of those spiders aren't the same as my brocklehursti. It seems to me that those markings of ManlyMan7 and mine are in between the true geniculata and the true brocklehursti.

Here is a photo of my friend Travis of his true geniculata http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?267242-Acanthoscurria-geniculata as you can see his specimen markings are as well shorter than ManlyMan7 and the specimen that was sent to me last late last year.

Check out this thread on post #40 you will see what I'm referring to on the markings
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?259175-Really-big-A.-genic-MM/page3
My supporting evidence is based on the looks of this special creatures and experience on them.

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The parents and sibling of A. broklehursti

I think this will help a lot of you to know what spiders that I believe you should stay away from when it comes to breeding or owning. These photos that I am providing is in my belief none other than the true Acanthoscurria brocklehursti and of the Acanthoscurria geniculata. Any other spider photos that owners post that I come across of these two species in my belief I would consider "Hybrids".
Earlier today I came a cross an old customer of mine. This customer of mine bought a sibling of one of my babies Acanthoscurria broklehursti that my female hatched in 2009. Today he sold me the baby he had bought from me that is now 6.5 leg span. Here are the photos of the parents from 2009 and the female sibling that I bought today.

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti Mature Male - Top view "Dad", 2009

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti Mature Male - Front view "Dad", 2009

Acanthoscurria broklehursti 4.5" inch Female - Top view "Mom", 2009

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 4.5" inch Female - Front view "Mom" 2009

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 6.5" inch Female - Top view "Daughter", 2015

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 6.5" inch Female - Front view "Daughter", 2015

Acanthoscurria brocklehursti 6.5" inch Female - Side view " Daughter", 2015

My belief and my advice is, to Acanthoscurria brocklehursti owners/future owners is if the broklehursti you intend to purchase or have purchase should look like the photos I just posted. If it does not, you should avoid breeding them at all cost.

Here are photos of the Acanthoscurria geniculata.

Acanthoscurria geniculata Female - Top view, 2009

Acanthoscurria geniculata Female - Front view, 2009

Acanthoscurria geniculata Female - Side view, 2014

Acanthoscurria geniculata Mature Male - Top view, 2009

Acanthoscurria geniculata Mature Male - Front View, 2009

Same goes with the geniculata if it does not look anything like this I would not consider breeding them at all.

This is my supporting evidence of what I believe is the real Acanthoscurria broklehursti and Acanthoscurria geniculata. I don't believe that they are the same species.

Please refer others new or old members to this post. If you or others have questions please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks.

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm. I wonder if one of those genics is the parent of my genic?
Both A. brocklehursti and geniculata hatched out babies the same year.
In 2009 the A. brocklehursti during the summer she had I believe it was about 600 babies, but a lot of them died cause I opened the egg sac to soon. So a little bit over 200 hundred had survived out of those 200 babies half of them went to Paul Becker at that time. The mature male brocklehursti was loaned out to me by Paul Becker as a Acanthoscurria geniculata. That mature male is the one that is on my photo (see photo post #31). Lucky that I got a 4" inch female brocklehursti by Kelly Swift (see post #31). This was my very first time that I have ever owned brocklehursti. The babies I had left went to Kelly Swift, Joey Mugleston, and I believe Anastasia. The following year Joey Mugleston purchased from me the Acanthoscurria brocklehursti female from me when she was at the size of 4.5" inches. I believe my old female had babies under Joey's care.

In 2009 my female A. geniculata was ready to breed. I purchased from a member on Arachnoboards a mature male A. geniculata (see photo post #31). My female had over 1200 babies, the babies were sold to Kelly Swift, Todd Gearheart, Anastasia, KenTheBugGuy and Joey Mugleston.

It is possible that a lot of you have some of the babies that came from my females.

Jose

Last edited:

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
I appreciate the discussion here. I haven't abandoned this thread, just am very busy through the weekend. I will look at this more carefully later, but one question I have is if my girl is a genic or brock. Others, including KcFerry elsewhere tell me she is a genic, but I am not so sure.

And from what I have seen here, this issue of my immature male making sperm webs is still novel?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here are a few pics of my "genic". She is now about 8".

View attachment 135640
View attachment 135641
View attachment 135642
Hey Manly, you have shared info with KcFerry , well in regards to his claim of your female being a geniculata KcFerry is correct. I must have taught him well. Please read closely on this link why I belive your female is a Acanthoscurria geniculata (see post #40) http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?259175-Really-big-A.-genic-MM/page3 Your second photo of the spider gives me a better look of what it is. It could use better lightning of your photo though.

It really would be helpful if the photos of your spider would be taken outside in a shaded area no direct sunlight and without a flash.

If your other spider is in fact a immature male when it matures please provide photo I really would like to see it. Since I believe that your male is a hybrid. Manly I do appreciate the fact that you have been following my post of the geniculata and brocklehursti. I can tell that you are concern about your specimen. As for myself I learn from others also.

Jose

Last edited:

ManlyMan7

Arachnosquire
OK, so someone on another forum just posted yesterday that they caught their clearly immature P. metallica boy going through the motions (just yesterday), including trying to charge emboli that he doesn't have. No drop of sperm on the web though.

At least it is a bit of comfort knowing I am not the only one who has now seen this.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It is possible that a lot of you have some of the babies that came from my females.

Jose
Yeah, I got a 1.5 inch genic last September that was listed as from one of your hatches. :) If the time frame doesn't match any you hatched, maybe the description had not been updated or something.