A few questions on a breeding project.

REDRUM

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,
I have searched the board and found LOTS of info on breeding but I still have a few questions and I would really like to get some of the folks that have bred B.Smithi ideas on my situation. I have spent the last few months gathering a breeding group of B.Smithi and most of which have come from dealers and members of this board. I have 12 full grown females and 2 males that are one molt away from being mature and one mature male. Two of the females I gathered were bred for me before I recieved them (Thanks Varden!) and I have bred my mature male with 2 other females so far. I found a Airshield C100 infant incubator in the want ads and bought it cheap. It contols heat pefectly. I know its probably overkill with the child incubator but I just want to give my girls the best captive conditions I possibly can. Currently I have each of the 4 bred females in 2 1/2 gal. glass tanks with the exo terra small caves for hides and the small exo terra water dishes. These 4 enclosures fit perfect in the incubator.I am using coconut fiber as substriaght in all my enclosures. The temp is set at 75F and the humidity stays at a constant 50% in the incubator.(I added a water tray inside the incubator this morning before work to raise the humidity a bit more and I will report the % when I get home) although I beleive the actual humidity in the enclosures to be a bit higher with the small water dishs inside. (I will install humidty gauges in each enclosure today).I have a low wattage (reptiglow) flouresent bulb above the incubator in an effort to simulate natual daylight and its on a timer. If anyone can give me your thoughts on my set-ups and any additional tips for husbandry specific to (hopefully pregnant) B.Smithi it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

JDS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mate them often, the more the merrier.

REDRUM

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the tips!

The humidity inside the enclosures is @ 65%.

REDRUM

Arachnopeon
Very intersting reading Eddy! Thanks.

I am going to "flood" my enclosures asap.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
please keep in mind that this is how i bred smithi... i don't say it is the way anyone else should!

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ok... strange..... checked on my large female tonight .... to find her builging a bowl of web:}
talk about coincidence