A. Chalcodes on her tippy toes

Moneo

Arachnopeon
Hey all!
So I just came home from a day out and found my T standing on top of her hide, looking like she wants to commit a suicide by jumping!
I did some research with uncle Google, but no clear answer from all the relatively old posts.
I use bone dry coco fiber for substrate, temp 23 Celsius, fed her Morio worm 2 days ago. I've had her for 3 weeks and haven't seen this behaviour yet. There was no one to disturb her and she (?) hasn't molted yet. Could she be hungry? Is it mites? My panicking mode is going to red!

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
You are panicking because of a stance??

It means nothing about the health of the animal....sometimes my dog sits in funny positions, i dont worry about it....its no more of a concern with the t really.

Its not a stress posture or a death curl, so you are fine.

Moneo

Arachnopeon
Now she turned around and put her bum even higher. I looks funny, I just don't want her to be sick or stressed...

You are panicking because of a stance??

It means nothing about the health of the animal....sometimes my dog sits in funny positions, i dont worry about it....its no more of a concern with the t really.

Its not a stress posture or a death curl, so you are fine.
Thanks, I hope you are right!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She is just hanging out, being a spider. She is actually pretty darn comfy to be out in the open like that.

Problem positions are stress and death curls - Stress curls involve the spider hunching up in a corner with their "knees" over their "faces." Death curls involve the toes curling underneath the body of the spider (caused by dehydration).

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
She likes to be tall!

Nah, really. My A. chalcodes does this exact thing every so often and I just say "oh she's being tall right now" and later she lowers herself down.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Now she turned around and put her bum even higher. I looks funny, I just don't want her to be sick or stressed...

Thanks, I hope you are right!
Its defensive posturing, my chalcodes does this as well, they stick their abdomens up high and will kick hairs if they are annoyed further. Many other NW terrestrial species will display this behavior as well, especially pamphos IME.

Htwc

Arachnopeon
It looks like you've got the "ATT" Chalcodes. All Terrain Tarantulas are quite impressive :)