A. Chalcodes molted dark

spydergyrl

Arachnopeon
I am new to owning t's. My first was in January. A. Chalcodes.
It molted and turned very dark, so I know this indicates male. My guess, and others thought female from ventral pics- clearly wrong.
I don't see hooks though. Does he have another molt or two maybe before fully maturing?
She was Marilyn, now Marilyn Manson.
I'm also wondering if, when time, is it better to try and pair him or let him be...
Thank you

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Your assumptions are just that assumptions...and baseless assumptions at that.

It molted and turned very dark,
Nope, it just looks like a freshly molted chalcodes.
, so I know this indicates male.
Nothing you can see dorsally in any way indicates its male.

Males do darken, but ONLY once they mature, and when they do, they don't look like this.....an immature male and a female are indistinguishable dorsally.

spydergyrl

Arachnopeon
It's legs are black. I live where these guys are native and typically, females legs are not black... Again, still learning. Thank you for explaining to me

Attachments

CalicoGremlin

Arachnopeon
Sometimes they molt out dark, doesn't necessarily correspond to the sex of the spider. Happened to my girl a few weeks back, I was confused about it too. Search "dark chalcodes" there's a good number of posts about it. :)

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Every tarantula can be different. This does not mean it's a male. Usually tarantulas can shift color during or in-between molts.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Your chalcodes looks like a completely normal/average looking recently molted juvenile or adult female. Now you know. It will fade (sometimes significantly) before it molts again. From what I have observed, captive A. chalcodes typically don't fade as much as wild specimens. Most subadult/adult chalcodes sold are WC and display significantly faded colors.

spydergyrl

Arachnopeon
Sometimes they molt out dark, doesn't necessarily correspond to the sex of the spider. Happened to my girl a few weeks back, I was confused about it too. Search "dark chalcodes" there's a good number of posts about it. :)
Thank you! Did lots of research before I purchased this t, but we can never do too much :happy:

Every tarantula can be different. This does not mean it's a male. Usually tarantulas can shift color during or in-between molts.
Thank you! As much as I though I knew about them, apparently I have much more to learn :happy:

Your chalcodes looks like a completely normal/average looking recently molted juvenile or adult female. Now you know. It will fade (sometimes significantly) before it molts again. From what I have observed, captive A. chalcodes typically don't fade as much as wild specimens. Most subadult/adult chalcodes sold are WC and display significantly faded colors.
Thank you so much! I have debated the idea of letting him find a mate, if he was actually male. I just wasn't ready for that decision. I am happy to know I may have completely jumped the gun.

Thank you! Very helpful!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Most likely Female at that size , very cool spider wish I had one . Rip my a anax :sad: A similar looking one . Never see those for sale anymore. I recal it never kicked hairs . Bit Me once but I tried to pinch grab it … :rofl:

spydergyrl

Arachnopeon
Most likely Female at that size , very cool spider wish I had one . Rip my a anax :sad: A similar looking one . Never see those for sale anymore. I recal it never kicked hairs . Bit Me once but I tried to pinch grab it … :rofl:
Well thank you! I hope it is female, but either way- I am just happy it is not mature at least. When I saw it peeping from the burrow, I saw the dark and just though that is what it meant. This was my first T. I have a total of 4, but of course this one is extra special because they are what made me want more :happy: I am sorry about your a anax. I haven't really seen those for sale in my shops as well