A. Braunshauseni on its last leg?

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So does this guy/girl look to you like it's dieing? It has been slow the last week or so but it did eat well (3 crixs) on Saturday... Any thoughts?

Attachments

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just saw the hooks. My guess is the ol' boy has had it. That is a bummer

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
first of all, that looks a hell of a lot like an A.Avic. secondly, holy crap! i would suggest an immediate ICU.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that thing is haggerd looking!... it looks dehydrated... it may be a MM

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is a MM, time looks to have taken it's toll there is not much you can do. Keep offering food when you can, and water, that will keep him going a while longer.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what exactly is an ICU?
It's just a setup with moist paper towels, maybe a water dish, good ventilation, and that gets placed in the dark. Most of the time it is used for badly dehydrated tarantulas and it seems to help them recover.

Tank_21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How often are males "needed"? I have a another A. Versicolor that is a male and is in great shape. I was just going enjoy him until he died. Is there a big need out there for males?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How often are males "needed"? I have a another A. Versicolor that is a male and is in great shape. I was just going enjoy him until he died. Is there a big need out there for males?
There are plenty of males to go around it seems like. I know a bunch of people that just let the male live out his life. There is nothing wrong with that. But keep in mind there are people that do breed that would love to put him to use! In the end there will be more to go around. But it's a personal decision I guess.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about your avic going down Tank. I have a MM G. Rosea that was hooked out when I bought him and he just keeps going and going like the energizer bunny. Don't completely give up on your avic yet. Try to keep him hydrated and keep offering him a feeder from time to time.
You say he ate 3 crix on Sat?-Wow thats up there with my L. Parahybana!
Try the ICU and see if that livens him up any. Good luck Bro.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd give him every chance too. If he is still eating there is definitely hope. give him the ICU and check on him from time to time. I find it helps a T if it doesn't stress about confinement. Keep the feeding going and good luck!

Re the other MM. I have three MMs in diff species. The OBT I still never see; the rosea is still in great shape and eating; my H lividum has already mated with female I bought him. When I saw how having a mate calmed him down (completely) I resolved to get a female for all my MMs. I hate to see them roam with no where to go and I hate more, the idea of endless rounds of shipping to many females.

Good luck on all counts!

Last edited:

Smilodon

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's always a bummer. I just had one of my little babies die for reasons unknown to me. I'm gonna be sad when my oldest G.rosea goes. :( I hope you can get a few more years outta him though! Good luck with the ICU. Let us know how he does.

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The old fellow looks pretty haggered. I would just keep him sated and hydrated at this point. As for "needing" MMs-IMO that is the males purpose. I am sure you can find a lady for your versicolor male.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It doesn't look particularly haggard for an ultimate male. Provide for him as you have so far, if there's not a needy female somewhere : )

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
first of all, that looks a hell of a lot like an A.Avic. secondly, holy crap! i would suggest an immediate ICU.
A braunshauseni's look like great big A avics. So yeah, it does.

Enjoy your old boy while you can. It's sad seeing a mm deteriorate... Chin up!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A braunshauseni's look like great big A avics. So yeah, it does.

Enjoy your old boy while you can. It's sad seeing a mm deteriorate... Chin up!
oh ok, i'm not well-studied in the Avics because I'm only raising two of species of that genus.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh ok, i'm not well-studied in the Avics because I'm only raising two of species of that genus.
I'm just begnning to learn about them myself. Apparently they're the only avics that are relatively defensive. A feisty avic, imagine that!