A.Avic Question

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hello all i just picked up a A.Avic fro, a local pet place that had it in a hermit crab wire mesh cage. when i said i wanted it i made the mistake of leaving the exotic room, upon purchase at the counter the young man said i didnt know they could jump. Hearing those words i felt a strange urge to smack him because i knew what he was going to say, it had jumped off his hand and onto the floor..... he was a good 5'9 and said his hand was chest level when it made it leep. ok now my problem is this, i inspected the spider really good to check for bleeding non was spotted. i housed it in a exo terra cage. since being in there the poor lil thing has not moved off of the side panel of the tank. is this lil one a gonner? in the past even Avics i had didnt take anywhere nere two weeks to move around.

anyway suggestions would be much appreciated,

Gui

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just keep it in a dark area, mist every other day and leave it be. Ive had my sling Avic Avic for 2 weeks and all it has done is chill out and build half a tube web. when i get up for work, its out and about, when the lights are on it scrunches up and sits still for hours. However, it eats just fine, even snagging a moth flying around with no issues. just give it time and make sure it has water. Most crucially of all, outside of misting, is to leave it be.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's nothing that you said that really indicates anything could be wrong. Nonactivity is pretty normal for T's and Avics in particular will stay in one spot for seemingly weeks at a time. Avics can also jump and fall quite far and be perfectly fine and in fact doing so is a defense mechanism. Just make sure it has water, offer food periodically, and avoid trying to touch or handle it. Even if there was some sort of internal injury, there really is nothing you can do to treat that unfortunately.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
even for an avi that seems a pretty long fall. if it is not injured, though, it's chances are good. i had some avis react like that after a 'traumatic' experience (shipping, cold, injury) - so just leave it be. a lot of humidity and warmth seem to help them come over it.