A.Avic Question

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 4" A.Avic and she has stopped eating about 1 1/2 weeks ago...also she has extended her web to the bottom of the cage and just hangs out on the the bottom part of the web touching the ground......Possible pre molt ... she never spends this much time on the ground ....what do you guys think ????

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
a avic

mine didnt build to the ground but it remained in its tube web without moving much at all for a week or so..molted then a week it ate a cricket i offered. but last cricket it ate was the thursday before the tuesday molt. i didnt even see it coming. kinda hard to see in the tube web..and it is my first t.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
but

not the same species...but my grammostola aureostriata(quarter of an inch~) ate its last tiny cricket on the 7th, molted(half an inch~) on the 25th, and ate again on the 28th and my brachypelma vagans(half inch~) ate its last small cricket on the 7th too, molted(1"~) the 19th and ate again on the 24th. they might've eaten before then but thats when i fed them.

rgfx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you using a heatmat under the tank?
My sling jars are standing on a heatmat, and one of my versis (interestingly the fastest growing one of them) keeps extending his web down to floor. I got a new avic. sp. sling yesterday and he's built a web near the floor of his jar too.
Maybe its cos the weather's getting colder.
I'm gonna get a long thin heatstrip to run behind all my sling jars on the shelf.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no i have no heat mat or anything......its web is in the top corner and extends to the bottom of the cage.........looks like a j almost....it just hangs out there..nothing yet as to a molt but im being patient......any advice would be great........ :clap:

Sibeleen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pretty funny u ask this, i have exactly the opposite!
My A. Urticans has built sort of a J but upside down and has enclosed himself entirely. No openings what so ever.
But then, my heat mat is along the side of the tank.
I too am tryin to see what this behaviour consists of, so ill be sure to drop any revelations in this thread and share with u :)
Good luck man!

SiB

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My avics tend to build tube webs that start at the top of the enclosure and spiral down towards the bottom. I keep them in large plastic jars which probably encourages the downward spiral. Those kept in square containers build webs that are more hammock style.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya See my cage is one of those Terra square aquriums..and in the front corner she has made the web.....the top of the web is like a hammoc but then narrows and makes the bottom of a J and there she sits for like 1 1/2 weeks...ill see if i can post a pic for you guys.....thanxs for all advice ...keep it comming......but no one has mentioned the possiblity of a pre molt...what do your A.Avic's molt in the top part of there tunnel web or in the bottom as i think mine is doing... :clap:

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Heres finally a pic of her web.....i outlined the web in red so you could see the " J " shape better...let me know what you think :clap: i had another pic but its file size is too large.... :wall:

Attachments

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
forgot to say somthing...where she's pictured above ...thats usually where she is the last week or so....

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry too much. Almost all of my avics stay inside their webs the majority of the time. One a avic(4.75 in) has a tube web, similar to yours and she ventures in and out, unless she's in pre molt. The othe A avic (4.5 in) webs up her cork bark curl and stays inside...as does my little a versi(2.5 in). The A purpurea (about 3 in)has tented (is that a word?) herself in on the floor of the tank, and the A bicegoi (2.5 in) strung a web corner to corner near the top of the tank. Last, but not least my almost 5 in A metallica wanders around the most and rarely webs. So, they all do their thing. I don't use heat lamps at all. Gee, can you tell I fancy Avics??? {D

If it's not eating it may just be nearing a molt. Toss a cricket into the web and see what happens.

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What did your A.Avic do when it was in a pre molt ?...thats what im interested in ?....knowing if its in a pre molt

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
avic not hiding

heres the first time in a while ive actually caught my avic wandering outside its tube home.

Last edited:

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Crimsonpanther said:
What did your A.Avic do when it was in a pre molt ?...thats what im interested in ?....knowing if its in a pre molt
In premolt, it webbed itself in the corner of the tank, near the floor and stayed there, pretty much on its side. It did not come out to eat or drink. It stayed there for about 2 weeks or more, if I remember correctly...it was was of the longer pre molts.

Last edited:

Crimsonpanther

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanx for your help ...thats what i needed to hear really...because mine is constantly on its side and has not ate for like 1 1/2 weeks...always near the bottom and does not move at all.......anyways thanks :clap: