A.Avic Question!!

MrsT

Arachnopeon
Why would a A. Avic be on its back on the ground spinning a web?

It molted last week, so no molt is due, thats the only info I know on it, any info much appreciated thanks..

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Possibly a mature male. Check the pedipalps to see if they look like boxing gloves and look for hooks on the tibiae (third segment) of the first pair of legs.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
David_F said:
Possibly a mature male. Check the pedipalps to see if they look like boxing gloves and look for hooks on the tibiae (third segment) of the first pair of legs.
But if he is a mature male, why would he be on his back spinning a web??

Is that what mature males do?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it is a mature male he could be spinning a sperm web. They transfer the sperm from the web to their pedipalps. I've seen some good pics of the process. I'll try a search and see if I can come up with anything for you.

EDIT: Here's a link to a thread dealing with B. smithi making a sperm web.

Last edited:

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
MrsT,

What is he spinning the web to and is he circling and/or moving about as he is webbing???? If I agree with David, it is most likely a male sperm webbing. Maybe the area he wanted to web it made it necessary to be on his back.

MrsT

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info, I had a feeling it was something to do with mating, I dont know much else really, the question is asked from a freinds friend lol, all i know is that he said it was on his back, on the ground spinning a web, and with A. Avics being aboreal I just thought it odd he would be on the ground spinning upside down :eek:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
was he upside down drumming on his web? Did you see any hooks sticking out of his palps, like the picture shown? If he was, he was sucking up the sperm with those hooks, which I think is a pretty neat thing to see! Ive seen this male Avic avic do it twice! :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic. question...

That does sound very much like a male doing his sperm web project.
Charging his "equipment" for a potential date. :D