A. avic Pink toe egg sac? Or something else?

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi everyone :)

I have had two of these species so far, one was a juvi that had a bad molt right after I got it :( But this one is a bit bigger and seems to be doing well :)

I got it at a local pet store (A locally owned/family owned one that actually takes care of stuff) on April 21 of this year.

(Sorry, my $300 camera won't focus on the T...)

Because I have had it a month now, and got it from a pet store, I am a bit doubting of them being good eggs. But I have never had an egg sac before so I don't know what I am talking about ;)

I also figure when it started making the web last night that it might be molting, but now that I see the white glob in there... And that the web is more like a crevice more than a bowl shape like would be more suitable for molting.

So what do you all think? If it is an egg sac will they be viable? I don't know how long the T was at the pet store, and so I don't know how long it went without having other T's close to it.

CodieBlain

Arachnopeon
looks like an eggsack and its prolly viable i work for a pet store and this has happened to us before with cobalt blue and they were definately viable we sold the mom so i hatched the sac myself ... most of the companies that pet stores order from are getting them wild caught so its verry possible that she had mated before she was caught it can take quite along ime for some species to lay eggs ...i would let mama care for it and just wait and see and get yourself a gameplan for when you a 100+ babies runnin around lol good luck

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am very excited now :D

The only bad thing is my room is terribly tiny... Where can I fit them many Ts ;)

Can you keep the babies in one cage together?

I was thinking of getting a bunch of small containers and having each T to itself. But that would be a lot of containers...

How big will the babies be? I don't want them getting through the holes in the lid.

I am going to need more feeder crickets ;)

CodieBlain

Arachnopeon
lol they come out very small lol like less than a half inch youll want to keep those holes coverd with some sort of mesh / screen or something along thos lines there will prolly be anywere from less than 50 up to 200 babies .. i suggest portion cups there inexpensive and great for baby ts ... pink toes are one of the only species that can live communaly with little to no cannabilsm ... but is highly suggested that you remove and house individualy expecially if you dont have HUGE enclosure with many hiding spots . they will be eating pinhead crickets at that age and will be drinking water from the substrate .. it usually takes about 6-8 weeks for them to hatch out .. i suggest reading everythig you can from now till then on A. avic and their breeding/ egg laying .... very happy for you its an amazing thing to see i happen good luck

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will get some sort of small mesh to put over the top then :)

I have a plan for them, I already get tiny crickets for my rose hair sling so I already have those and know where to get them.

I also have glass jars we used to can stuff in, if I wash those up really well those should work. And then I will also check out the stores and get some small containers like you said.

Thanks for all your help :D Will definitely have pictures later on :)

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
Robc has a YouTube video that shows what to do with ewls (eggs with legs) plus some other videos that will help you so I'd def check em out. Good luck

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have watched the EWL video when I first joined :D I will watch it over again because this time I actually have some (maybe) to care for.

I hope it is not a dud/empty egg sac, I might be a bit disappointed if it is ;) It does look a bit flat to me.

Would there be a way to tell if it was empty?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looking flat means nothing,it takes a while for a freshly rolled sack to get "round"..Wait 30-35 days and pull it. Be sure to have an incubator ready as well.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Would something like this be what you are talking about:
[YOUTUBE]HoK98TwjwX0[/YOUTUBE]

And then would they need more heat? I just read on another site that the eggs should stay about 26-28 degrees C. So how would I keep them warmer? I was thinking of getting a heater (like used with reptiles) and putting it in a small glass tank (2.5 or 5 gallon would probably work) and then setting the incubator like in that video inside the tank. Then it would stay warmer and more humid because of the water in the plastic containers.

My room stays about 75-80 degrees F during the day but drops a little bit during the night.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought the deli cups and had everything set up. The humidity where the eggs are stays around 85% and the temp was at 80.

I hate to say it, but I had to pull the eggs early. The mom wasn't getting down to eat, drink, move, or anything. And she wouldn't move this morning and almost looked like she was in the death curl :( I got the eggs out as gently as I could and she is slowly moving now. She didn't fight us taking the eggs out or anything... poor thing.

The eggs look fine though that I can tell :)

(Sorry my camera sucks at closeups ;))

After I took out the bad/dead dark ones, I counted 24 eggs that weren't stuck together, so I have at least fifty there probably (or about). About half of them are stuck together in one blob, should I worry about that or just leave them like that?

So how often should I turn them? I read online something about having to turn them 3-5 times a day, so if that is correct, I figured I would turn them every 6 hours. At 5AM-11AM-5PM-11PM would be the times if it sounds correct.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never bother to turn eggs in the incubator and it has yet to be an issue.And do not worry about the female not eating/drinking when she has a sack.

jreidsma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So don't worry about the moms even if they get really skinny and moving slowly? When I saw her curled up and not reacting to anything I thought she might have been dying.