A. Avic enclosure check

Kaervek

Arachnopeon
Hi all. Been doing my research and think I covered everything. Due to need, after initial husbandry errors at the time I acquides Darth Pink, I quickly picked up on of Jaime's 8x8x14 kits and went to work. I made mistakes; You name it... exo-terra screen, enough water to fill a camel, campfire inside the enclosure for warmth, marshmallows for when (s)he prefers sugar, enough sub to burrow deep ... the list goes on.

Then I found you all.

- Dry sub on top of a very very lightly moistened base. Like, moist from the whispers of the word "water" within 20 feet of the enclosure
- Cork ledge up top with anchors that was rapidly turned into an apartment of web.
- Climbing slab with anchoring; maybe not enough foliage, but was quickly passed up on after the initial climb onto the upper pad.
- Water dish on the ground.
- After a few days quickly downed 2 crickets and a super worm that I placed in the only tube entrance that was open.

All in all seems happy with eating and webbing. I fear that he/she doesn't come down to drink ever. I'm of the understanding that hydration will come from feeding as well. I've read all the horror novels of wet sub and misting so I've not touched that option yet (except for week 1 in my days of being a complete ignoramus).

That all said, my two inquiries are:
1. The enclosure will do for the A. Avic as a final enclosure?
2. The water... suggestions? Despite reading a hundred million posts on Avics I'm still not sure whether I should ignore hydration aside from an ignored dish, or throw a (1-2) spritz of mist at the tube once every two weeks or so.

Kindly and thanks for the education many of you have already supplied me with in your many threads. Great community.

20181215_105707.jpg 20181215_105853.jpg 20181215_110048.jpg 20181215_110202.jpg 20181215_115231.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It should have more foliage, quite honestly you have it in a prison cell, barren etc. W/that said, it has made a nice tube, which is a good thing. But they are highly adaptable, meaning it may have made that same tube w/ or w/out more foliage. But the reason you want more foliage is so that it feels more secure in its home.

Hydration- The key to successful Avic keeping that has worked for ME, is paying STRICT attention to the size of the Ts abdomen. It's the only initial indicator you will have of whether the T is hydrated or not. The second indicator is often legs curled underneath, "death curl". However, death curls can happen even if hydration is fine.

I don't find randomly adding water droplets to the web helpful because I cannot read its mind and know when it's thirsty. BUT, if I watch ab size along with its general behavior, I have a much better success rate of adding water droplets and observing drinking.

I have noticed that when Avics get a bit dehydrated they don't eat, even if their abdomen suggests they should eat due to small size. If you don't keep a feeding journal you will not have a good idea of what may be going on if your Avic doesn't eat.

I have observed many times that once they provided water on webbing etc, and drink, they will then eat at some point - either later that day OR following day.

Kaervek

Arachnopeon
It should have more foliage, quite honestly you have it in a prison cell, barren etc. W/that said, it has made a nice tube, which is a good thing. But they are highly adaptable, meaning it may have made that same tube w/ or w/out more foliage. But the reason you want more foliage is so that it feels more secure in its home.

Hydration- The key to successful Avic keeping that has worked for ME, is paying STRICT attention to the size of the Ts abdomen. It's the only initial indicator you will have of whether the T is hydrated or not. The second indicator is often legs curled underneath, "death curl". However, death curls can happen even if hydration is fine.

I don't find randomly adding water droplets to the web helpful because I cannot read its mind and know when it's thirsty. BUT, if I watch ab size along with its general behavior, I have a much better success rate of adding water droplets and observing drinking.

I have noticed that when Avics get a bit dehydrated they don't eat, even if their abdomen suggests they should eat due to small size. If you don't keep a feeding journal you will not have a good idea of what may be going on if your Avic doesn't eat.

I have observed many times that once they provided water on webbing etc, and drink, they will then eat at some point - either later that day OR following day.
Appreciate that feedback. I will work to build the foliage up and create that security.

Regarding the water; I've been in tune with the abdomen size (full but not obese; no collapse or shrivel) and am confident in the health. I'll put the needed effort to the feeding journal to aid. Additionally I'll continue to keep the idea of spritzing water as a tool for the peculiarities in feeding and abdomen health you mentioned. This as an unlikely and rarely necessary action as opposed to a scheduled activity.

Kindly and thanks for making me better at recovering in the my effort to take care of this Avic.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Appreciate that feedback. I will work to build the foliage up and create that security.

Regarding the water; I've been in tune with the abdomen size (full but not obese; no collapse or shrivel) and am confident in the health. I'll put the needed effort to the feeding journal to aid. Additionally I'll continue to keep the idea of spritzing water as a tool for the peculiarities in feeding and abdomen health you mentioned. This as an unlikely and rarely necessary action as opposed to a scheduled activity.

Kindly and thanks for making me better at recovering in the my effort to take care of this Avic.
Id rather see you enjoy an Avic, than kill one ;)

The consistency of an Avic using a water bowl is like herding cats. Also keep tools to manually water them.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Regarding the water; I've been in tune with the abdomen size (full but not obese; no collapse or shrivel) and am confident in the health. I'll put the needed effort to the feeding journal to aid. Additionally I'll continue to keep the idea of spritzing water as a tool for the peculiarities in feeding and abdomen health you mentioned.
Another option to increase the odds that they'll find their water dish is to use an elevated dish. I use Command soap dishes from Walmart. (You just need to plug the drain hole.) Once mounted, you can slide the dish up and out to clean it.

I like that they have a gentle slope, allowing the Avic to drink from multiple angles.

Kaervek

Arachnopeon
Just a follow up for those that helped with, or find useful, the content in the Avic enclosure advice.

I lowered the flat to give more room for foliage and opened up the plane to give more freedom east/west to the Avic. That space was used to outline with leaves. I finished up by buying a mess of plants from the craft store to lay on top and behind the enclosure to add shade and a consistent treetop environment. I'd consider going nuts with that inside next time I do a complete re-house; thoughts?

Naturally I can't tell what the Avic would rate it on a 1-10 scale. I can say it has become more active though with hunting and "stretching out" which I, perhaps ignorantly, take as a sign of comfort (don't mind the slight stress position in pic... it moved into that when I opened and went in for a snap; likely a breeze)

Still keeping it bone dry and have used Viper advice to keep a feeding journal. Also the occasional slight mist or droplets to the web. When I do that, the Avic often settles on the droplets so it appears well received.

Lastly the places and amounts of poop have increased (it used to stay local as if the aim came from the flat only) I take this as healthy activity suggesting its moving around at night and its body is doing what its supposed to.

Thank again; loving this T.

20190302_112858.jpg 20190302_112914.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is not to bad of a cage! The most important thing besides sub is to have a large enough piece of bark so that the spider can hide and make a home! Sure more foilage wouldnt hurt! But the important thing is that you provided big enough bark
Good ventilation is key, and for goodnes sake, dont over wet the sub! Slightly moist is good! Let it dries out pretty often and overflow the dish a little now and then! Thats how i did when i had lots of Avics!

jilly

Arachnopeon
Another option to increase the odds that they'll find their water dish is to use an elevated dish. I use Command soap dishes from Walmart. (You just need to plug the drain hole.) Once mounted, you can slide the dish up and out to clean it.

I like that they have a gentle slope, allowing the Avic to drink from multiple angles.
What did you use to plug the drain hole? This is a great idea.