A. australis vs. A mauritanicus

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Ok, so I'm probably going to end up keeping some Androctonus species in the near future, I've narrowed it down to these two. So, from keepers, what are the pros and cons of each? How do growth rates compare. Any major behavior al differences? Also, could someone post pictures of them that really give a good size reference compared to something else, like a cricket or roach. I know their given lengths in mm, but it's not the same as seeing the overall size of the animal. I've read before that A. australis can grow nearly as large is P. transvaalicus, is this accurate? I also want something that's relatively calm, and not too shy to eat prey in front of me. Thanks in advance.

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Copper, I favor A. bicolor myself. It's the tail that gets me. Sorry, no pics. Just remember that A. australis is quite toxic, but I'm sure you already know that.

David

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CopperInMyVeins said:
Ok, so I'm probably going to end up keeping some Androctonus species in the near future, I've narrowed it down to these two. So, from keepers, what are the pros and cons of each? How do growth rates compare. Any major behavior al differences? Also, could someone post pictures of them that really give a good size reference compared to something else, like a cricket or roach. I know their given lengths in mm, but it's not the same as seeing the overall size of the animal. I've read before that A. australis can grow nearly as large is P. transvaalicus, is this accurate? I also want something that's relatively calm, and not too shy to eat prey in front of me. Thanks in advance.
well if you are looking for calm AA isnt it, they are defensive and dont like you bugging in their enclosure and are not shy on letting you know you dont belong ,my AM's are a little more docile....if your looking for size the the AA is what you are looking for...it takes almost 2 years for the AA to mature (or 8 molts)from a baby but well worth the wait..a little less for the AM..both are great to watch when feeding sooo it really depends if you like a yellow or black scorp????both are great lookers, though i would lean toward the AM for looks...if you can get both then do so as both are nice additions to anyone's collection....hope that helps i breed AA's and keep AM's soo i like both...bicolors are nice to, alittle smaller but the tail looks better on it then the AM....

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yeah, I like the looks of A. bicolor a lot too, but I've heard that they're more skittish than other species. As far as venom, most of the Androctonus species seem to have pretty similar LD50 ratings, except that A. australis has more venom. I've already had experience feeding and maintaining an adult Leiurus quinquestriatus and Parabuthus villosus, and a juvenile A. australis. Those aren't in my home though, I'm still a bit wary of keeping Androctonus at home, but it wouldn't be much different than keeping anything else really. Actually, I'm getting to like keeping these desert scorpions more than keeping the centipedes, I think centipedes are amazing, but having to keep the high humidity can lead to problems with flies and such, and the scorpions seem a lot less skittish and easier to photograph in general. So, will A. bicolor eat in front of me, or run and hide as soon as it's got it's prey?

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sick4x4 said:
if your looking for size the the AA is what you are looking for...it takes almost 2 years for the AA to mature (or 8 molts)from a baby but well worth the wait..
Yeah, the one I've been taking care of is a small juvenile, and hasn't molted once in the months I've been around it, so I really don't have any first hand experience of how impressive the adults are. As for color, I generally prefer black scorpions, that's all I have so far, but having som contrast would be kind of nice too. Thanks for the input by the way. Do you have any pictures of your adults you could post, maybe with prey for reference?

CaptainChaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well my Bicolor tags her prey and takes it to her hideout to feast. Don´t know how skittish she is ´cause she´s a runner(as nearly all of my scorps are). Maybe if i cornered her or poked with the forceps she could become skittish but i´m not gonna do that. But when i get the infrared lamps for nightviewing (don´t wanna use UV otherwise than checking that they all are where they should be) i´m sure that i´ll see much more of her.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CopperInMyVeins said:
Yeah, the one I've been taking care of is a small juvenile, and hasn't molted once in the months I've been around it, so I really don't have any first hand experience of how impressive the adults are. As for color, I generally prefer black scorpions, that's all I have so far, but having som contrast would be kind of nice too. Thanks for the input by the way. Do you have any pictures of your adults you could post, maybe with prey for reference?
yeah i have posted pics of my gravid female on the boards and my LQ they are a little bigger then usual...but are great scorps my female AA gave birth to about 70 plus off spring which have shed and are feeding readily...

Last edited:

azatrox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well...

I keep both AAs and AMs....As far as size goes, both these animals can grow to over 4 inches in length....AA seems to be a bit more "spontaneously reactive" than AM.....That is to say that an AA will generally be a bit more nervous when forceps are introduced into the enclosure or any other disturbance is detected....Keep in mind that there can be drastic behavioral differences even among different animals of the same species however....

I love 'em both.....AA (when disturbed) will stick it's tail WAY up in the air, spread it's pedipalps and can be quite intimidating for a 4 inch bug...AM is more likely to simply bolt for the nearest hidespot....In my experience, it takes quite a bit of harrassment before an AM will assume a defensive posture. Both these creatures' reputations (and that of Androctonus in general) are WAY overblown in terms of aggressiveness....I have never had one "charge" my forceps, and if given the opportunity both these animals would rather scurry for cover than put up a fight with something that obviously isn't a prey item.

I keep bicolors as well, and these are a bit more skittish than either AA or AM...Also, they don't get quite as big as either AA or AM....They too are still interesting captives and worthy of consideration if one is ready for "hots".....

Regardless of which species you choose, you won't be disappointed...Treat it with the respect it deserves (as you would any other venomous animal with the potential to kill you) and you'll enjoy these for quite a few years....

-AzAtrox

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just like AzAtrox said to each their own...i have over 80 AA's and 15 Am's all act completely different...so to say one will do this or that is all relative..since im sure others will say theirs is shy or demonic usually if you leave them alone they will have their own personality's and have their own behavior unlike the norm lol if the is a norm......:?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CaptainChaos said:
Christ, i feel like a noob :D
Very nice looking your female there!
If only it were easier to get scorps here :(
yeah started with five.. 2 females came gravid, one absorbed the embryos and one my big female gave birth lol now im giving them away lol not really.....now ive started breeding the AM's so im hoping for the best......

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Copper,

Regardless of what you choose as your final selection, all 5 of the commonly offered Androctonus species are easy to care for and if afforded the respect they deserve as a potentially dangerous animal, tempered with a bit of good ol' common sense, none present a threat.
Typical specimens of all 5 species tend to seek to avoid potential confrontations and most are quick to escape into the secure confines of a nearby retreat rather than risk harm by confronting a perceived threat unless afforded no other option.
Personally, as a first Androctonus species I'd recommend A. mauritanicus over all others due to their typically placid nature and reluctance to resort to direct defense without a great deal of provocation. I've had 52 specimens over the years and almost every single specimen conformed to the above stated behavior unless provoked or startled.
As a second choice I'd recommend A. crassicauda. While not as reluctant to defend themselves as A. mauritanicus, they are not as typically skittish as A. bicolor.
As for pure looks, I have to agree that A. bicolor is the "looker" of the lot of five, with A. amoreuxi probably coming in second.
For pure impressiveness and awe, I don't think any Androctonus species comes close to matching A. australis for pure awe! These are very large, heavy-bodied scorps that when provoked into a full defensive stance will impress anyone!
For foraging behaviors and eating massive amounts of prey, A. crassicauda are pure eating machines. My specimens can polish off 50 adult crickets per week if I allowed them to do so. I've had large fems capture and subdue (envenomate) 3-5 crickets at a time and consume every single cricket to the leg! They'll also do this 3-4 times per week!
Androctonus australis seems to have the potential to reach the largest TBL, with A. mauritanicus not too far behind (if at all?). Both can attain TBL's in excess of 10 cm.
However, the best way to experience the various Androctonus species is to acquire 1-2 of each species.
Guess in the end it all boils down to acquiring a black or yellow scorp! LOL
Good luck with your final selection!

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Availability might dictate which one you get. A mauritanicus isnt always available so if you get a chance, you might want to snag some up. All Andros are very easy to keep. Just keep warm and dry and they will do well.

azatrox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Prym....

If only it were so easy to "go out and acquire 1-2 of each species"! HAHAHAHA!!!! I would LOVE to get my hands on a couple A. crassicauda, but they're not very prevalent in the hobby....Consequently, I keep the "common" Andros (i.e. Mauris, australis and bicolor)....I really wish it were that easy! :)

-AzAtrox

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yet there is a hector morph that really looks sick!!!!!!!!!