7.5" MM avic avic or braunshauseni? differences?

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
My avic avic sold as female molted with the molt measuring less than a cm under 5" its now approx 7-8" which is gigantic for a mm avic avic IMO. any way I can tell the difference besides size? should I be looking for a female braunshauseni, will I even find a female avic avic bigger than him? post molt, molt, and premolt pictures

e057e4e8dce311e2990022000aeb0f0c_7.jpg

7239a514dce311e2900122000a1f932b_7.jpg

ad6edab0d87311e28ab422000aa80430_7.jpg

post molt, molt, and premolt pictures

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
You should go to the craft store and get something like the below so you can verify what you are saying/claiming.

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
since it just molted I have a picture of the molt being measured, its too soft to take out right now, but it gained a considerable amount in size if you look at the fatness of the abdomen pre molt. pic of the gloves as well

IMG3833.jpg

62df6da8dcf511e2848422000ae91451_7.jpg

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Nice, can't wait to see the current size with a measurement tool of some kind.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
From this it looks like it measured 4.5" before it mouted and now it's 7-8"? I find this extremely unlikely, is this after one moult or multiple moults? In any case I'm surprised an MM avic could reach that size, female maybe, but male? My MM avic hooked out at 3.5"

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
From this it looks like it measured 4.5" before it mouted and now it's 7-8"? I find this extremely unlikely, is this after one moult or multiple moults? In any case I'm surprised an MM avic could reach that size, female maybe, but male? My MM avic hooked out at 3.5"
Right, he is roughly double the size of most MM avicularia avicularia, hence the point of this thread.
Braunshauseni seems the most likely answer but could be a potential urticans, whatever it is, it certainly is not an avic avic ...
I can confirm that he is about 6" while laying in his web. Post of measuremnt to follow

Last edited:

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
Nice, can't wait to see the current size with a measurement tool of some kind.
thoughts? Urticans maybe? Still too large to be a MM avic avic, not sure how large the male braunshauseni run.

lancej

Arachnolord
Looks like it could be metallica, but I could be wrong. Metallica gets pretty big.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
thoughts? Urticans maybe? Still too large to be a MM avic avic, not sure how large the male braunshauseni run.
What makes you think it's something other then an out of the ordinary large male Avicularia avicularia? I've had males that were 5" and 5.5", I could see a few odd ones getting a little larger to 6". Is this that "female" you bought from the breeder a year or so back? Why don't you ask them?

Looks like it could be metallica, but I could be wrong. Metallica gets pretty big.
It's not what we have in the hobby as Avicularia metallica.

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
What makes you think it's something other then an out of the ordinary large male Avicularia avicularia? I've had males that were 5" and 5.5", I could see a few odd ones getting a little larger to 6". Is this that "female" you bought from the breeder a year or so back? Why don't you ask them?
It's not what we have in the hobby as Avicularia metallica.
Because I have another Avic avic that looks different, and this guy is larger than most male avic avics I haven seen. most MM avic avics I've seen were ~4" or the size of my MM diversipes.. I spoke to the breeder, he said he traded 50 H.mac slings to someone in florida for a bunch of different slings, when he received them, they were just labeled as avicularia sp. when they got bigger he assumed it was an avic avic, after showing him these pictures, he said hes convinced its something else. Another local breeder said he has large and small avic avic MM's and to just find an avic avic female and breed them, but he is also the one convinced my other avic is some wierd guyana/or peruvian variant.

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
Urticans are purple, though.
I agree, plus when it was a juvie it didnt have the abdominal markings of an urticans.
Tarantula_tamer of ig suggested it, thought id throw it out there.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just give up, and forget about finding a female to avoid crossbreeding and perpetuating the avic ID mess.

Last edited:

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree, plus when it was a juvie it didnt have the abdominal markings of an urticans.
Tarantula_tamer of ig suggested it, thought id throw it out there.

I'm starting to think maybe I should just give up, and forget about finding a female to avoid crossbreeding and perpetuating the avic ID mess.
My MM A.Avic looked like that when it was freshly molted. Then his satae color came in for some reason. I could just be your every day A.Avic on steroids. What were you feeding your feeders?! hah.

rob0t

Arachnoknight
Looking at the two pictures of the ruler on your hand and the spider on your hand he doesn't look to be much more than 5". Certainly not out of the question for an A avic in my opinion.

AgeAye

Arachnosquire
Looking at the two pictures of the ruler on your hand and the spider on your hand he doesn't look to be much more than 5". Certainly not out of the question for an A avic in my opinion.
Molt measurements of the past were 2 7/16, 3 5/8, 4 3/4.
I'm not looking to argue, I'm mostly just looking for someone knowledgable in avics to tell me the notable phenotypic differences between an avic avic and a braunshauseni, but noone has been able to do that for me yet.... from what I could gather braunshauseni have orange hair on the chelicerae and red hairs on the back legs, I've held a few mm avic avics before and this guy is definitely larger hence my point of posting. Can someone please find an expert or someone who knows the tell tale signs between a braunshauseni and an avic avic because if size is the only difference, this braunshauseni species might be something that needs to be rethought. Can anyone find anyone with a MM braunshauseni to throw in a size and input? Does anyone have anything of worth to say, regarding the notable differences besides focusing on speculating size. I was more so hoping for useful information instead of people debating size within an inch. I posted those pictures with the hope of someone being able to help.

---------- Post added 06-27-2013 at 12:45 AM ----------

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?62770-White-toes-pink-toes-so-many-toes a previous thread on how screwed up this genus is. Did someone just find a larger avic avic and say oh hey its a new species!?

Last edited: