$600.00 ear of corn...pet warning!

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is something that happened to me this past weekend...I was sitting outside with my little ones (chihuahuas) and the small one was staring at my corn on the cob. Now, I usually don't let them have people food but I had eaten all the corn and thought really what would it hurt if she just licked it. Maybe a little snack that wouldn't really be consumed. I was wrong. I didn't think she had eaten anything from the corn piece...until the vomiting began...and didn't stop until 5:30 that morning. Of course I am now calling every vet possible to find out what to do and if anyone can see her other than the emergency clinic. Not that I won't take her but if anyone has ever gone to one of those places you know how ungodly expensive they are. Every vet said I had to get her in ASAP. Long story short it took $600.00 bucks to tell me that my dog had an upset stomach. But it seems that corn on the cob kills dogs. The cob doesn't digest and becomes impacted in the intestines of the dog. After a quick google search I discovered this really does happen often. I thought I would share this warning to others...so they don't have to repeat the same mistake I made!
[/IMG]

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Wow, we used to feed our lab cobs once in a while, I sure won't do that with any future dogs! Glad to hear your little one is doing okay.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep, my gf is a lab tech, they see this all the time

Diggy415

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rott lab X got into my corn cob oats for rats that i feed, talk about spraying all over the place, learned his lesson, corn is no good.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow I never knew that.
I don't feed my dog people food but it's really good to know just in case.
Thanks for the info

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We hardley ever give people food either...thats why it was sooooo bad too...we felt extremely guilty. Like I said we thought she would just lick it...wow we were wrong...

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a lab and she has eaten it with out problems (labs stomachs are rock solid haha) Yeah but I won’t do it again. Thanx for the heads up.

Another thing I found out is dog food with corn in it is like giving you’re dog candy. It makes them hyper and it can be a cause for misbehaved dogs.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a lab and she has eaten it with out problems (labs stomachs are rock solid haha) Yeah but I won’t do it again. Thanx for the heads up.

Another thing I found out is dog food with corn in it is like giving you’re dog candy. It makes them hyper and it can be a cause for misbehaved dogs.
That's funny you say that.
The dog we had before for about 15 years was a black lab.
This girl would eat anything and have no ill effects.
She was like a vacuum.

xchondrox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's funny you say that.
The dog we had before for about 15 years was a black lab.
This girl would eat anything and have no ill effects.
She was like a vacuum.
I feed my Staffordshire Terrier Jalepeno's, brocelli, cauliflower, lettuce, pretty much if she sees me eat it she will. She's so dainty in the way she takes treats etc. its funny. We have about 60acres of corn fields so hopefully she doesnt try munchin on one layin in the field!