$45.00 P. metallica??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Suspected webfraud

If you find a website that seems too good to be true, it probably is. One way to check up on a website is to go to http://whois.net/ and type in the domain of the company. They will direct you to the service that owns the domain and you can click on that and enter the domain again. You will then see who owns the domain, how long it has been in service, and when their rights to the domain expire.

If the website you are looking at is only a month old, has a different location and owner than the website says, etc it is most likely a fraud. You can also get the owners home address this way too.

If the website is on tripod or some other site where anyone can create a cheezy site, assume that it is a fraud.

When buying diamond earrings for my ladyfriend, I found a site with an almost too good to be true price. I looked up the guy and saw his business was around for 3 years, called him up to check his story, it was the same as the web info, and purchased the product with a credit card just to be safe. And they were quite nice when they arrived :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also, logic would dictate that they aproach the American dealers first - like with a phone - the dealers would off ther quickest and highest of profits rather than trying to reach individual hobbyists. Even if they were exporting illegally, there is always someone that will do it.
Also, having no price difference in pokies - even if they were able to access all species at the same cost, there is no way they would not look at a price list and mark up to some degree, making P. metallica at least $85 which is still a steal by most standards.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hehehe.
I got that same email.
Twice.
What is not included is the hoops one would have to jump through to be legally able to recieve said spiders, as well as the financial side of becoming a licensed importer, which, by the way, is quite substantial.

One of my favorite clients is in the process of doing just that, and has told me that next time she gets the idea in her head to import spiders to give her a cyanide enema, or something like that.....

Dekejis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm right there with Sheri; if someone's in the business of selling spiders, he'd know he can get more than that for P. metallica. Also, legit species aside, you might also consider if they're wild caught, you might end up encouraging the decline of already rare species by buying collected animals.

Anyway, just my two cents. Now, on the importation, I might be able to point you in the right direction at least, as I have an import/export license and have some familiarity with this process:
you'll need to either hook up with a brokerage or really familiarize yourself with what you'll need for importation. There's paperwork to fill out for the US F&W service, paperwork you'll need to obtain from the exporter and you'll need to arrange for an inspection of the package. You'll likely get asked a lot of questions about the animals, their origin, and your intent with the animals. In my own experience, the inspectors are very knowledgeable and helpful. As far as I know Poecilotheria are not CITES listed at the moment, so at least you won't have to worry about that.
One last thing, you'll also want to take into account the cost of shipping the animals internationally (which can be quite a lot, possibly hundreds of dollars) and also inspection fees (minimum $50), and a lot more in overtime should your inspection run past their office hours.
Anyway, hope that helps some.. I think you'll find it probably cheaper and safer to buy one of the local babies you know are captive bred and healthy. The cost of the inspection and the shipping could very easily equal or exceed the cost of a buying a sling from a dealer here, which doesn't make it worthwhile unless you're buying in bulk..

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dekejis said:
I'm right there with Sheri; if someone's in the business of selling spiders, he'd know he can get more than that for P. metallica. Also, legit species aside, you might also consider if they're wild caught, you might end up encouraging the decline of already rare species by buying collected animals.
In the case of P. metallica at least, I don't think they are all that rare....

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thank you, voices of reason. I'd be sorely peed off if I spent all that shipping, inspection, etc. money and got a shipment of G. rosea in the mail!!! :p I've found 99.9% of the T community to be honest people so I tend to throw caution to the wind. Maybe the scam artists have finally "found" us... AND a way to rip us off!! :mad:

DracosBana

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wasn't able to find any T's on that site at all. But the internet registration data seems to check out properly. I also found a positive review on a fish site (but only one review total)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got the e-mail as well and did some checking. As we all know, exporting spiders from India is illegal, so that was my first question to Babu. He acknowledged that it was illegal and said they circumvented the process by using the postal service. Having just spoken with authorities in the field of importing wildlife (you know who you are), it is most likely that you will receive nothing, or nothing will arrive alive. However, if you do and you get caught, you'll face charges, fines, AND they'll seize your entire collection. Not a risk I'm interested in taking. Good luck to anyone interested in pursuing the venture.

Botar

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sheri said:
Also, logic would dictate that they aproach the American dealers first - like with a phone - the dealers would off ther quickest and highest of profits rather than trying to reach individual hobbyists. Even if they were exporting illegally, there is always someone that will do it.
Also, having no price difference in pokies - even if they were able to access all species at the same cost, there is no way they would not look at a price list and mark up to some degree, making P. metallica at least $85 which is still a steal by most standards.
yes $45 u.s aint alot to us but if he changes it to rupee's then it is well worth it to him figureing that would be 1,968.75 INR most dont figure the money exchange ...but like botar says its really not worth it ...but if you had a wholesale liscence and could buy from that country then yes its a very good deal....botar is it illegal for peple with out a whole sale liscence?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NightCrawler27 said:
...botar is it illegal for peple with out a whole sale liscence?
It is illegal regardless of what license you have. The exportation from that country is illegal, therefor the way he'd get them into the US would have to be illegal. For someone with a couple hundred dollars worth of T's, it might be worth the risk. I'd lose over $20,000 in stock and my livelihood... not worth it for me.

Botar

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i completely understand ..i was just curious about that and figured you would know .thx bro..not worth the risk for myself either...i wasnt sure if it was totally illegal to export from india or not..thx again for the info

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You'd have better luck taking a trip to india and trying to smuggle one back in my opinion. That's a sign of a true arachnojunky.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
You'd have better luck taking a trip to india and trying to smuggle one back in my opinion. That's a sign of a true arachnojunky.

Wouldn't it be ArachnoJunkie?
I think that could be my next title if I ever change it...

Yes, not worth the risk at all!

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My girlfriend grew up with the princess of Sri Lanka (I'm sure there is more than one but nonetheless she is one). Anyways her family travels there at least once a year and brings back a bounty of stuff (1 dollar unpirated DVDs of movies that are just out in our theatres is an example). I've thought about asking her what she can do for me in this area. Especially next time she travels to Sri Lanka.

When she goes there they announce her arrival in their newspapers and the people await their return when they leave. I don't think she'd have very many problems bringing me back some goodies, but I think she might be afraid of the spiders, lol

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:
Wouldn't it be ArachnoJunkie?
I think that could be my next title if I ever change it...

Yes, not worth the risk at all!
If you own a dictionary... which I doubt ;) you will notice that both spellings are accepted. Hey if you make that book can you sign a copy for me? I'll design the cover for you in exchange for some ink scratches.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
If you own a dictionary... which I doubt ;) you will notice that both spellings are accepted. Hey if you make that book can you sign a copy for me? I'll design the cover for you in exchange for some ink scratches.

Back off jedi - I'm surprised you could spell dictionary. ;)
I meant my arachnotitle... :rolleyes:

So, in the case if importing animals illegally from a closed country, who prosecutes? The homeland? Or can you be extradited?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:

So, in the case if importing animals illegally from a closed country, who prosecutes? The homeland? Or can you be extradited?
I've been practicing. That's a good question though. I'm guessing the goverment fish and wildlife people would like to have a word with you, though since it's an international matter maybe they would press additional charges in India. Any arachnid-keeping lawyers on AB?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sheri said:

It is my understanding that the only way they can get them out illegally is to go through non-official means of importing them. In other words, you couldn't bring them through customs or US Fish and Wildlife checks at a port of call. THAT is what would make the shipment illegal in the US and would result in the seizure of your animals, fines, and charges. I doubt you'd face charges in the originating country. Needless to say, the whirlwind that you'd face in the US would be enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

My facts may be off as this is not my area of work, however, I think I've got the main points down fairly well. The government of India would most likely lop off the hand of the one exporting and the US government would lop off the assets of the receiver.

Botar

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I remember Hendriks mentioning in a similar thread that it is not technically illegal to export Poecilotheria from India.

Here's the page I'm refering to HERE

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GoTerps said:
...that it is not technically illegal to export Poecilotheria from India.
From everything I've read, and from the businessman in question himself, it is illegal to export the Poecilotheria from India. Granted, there may be some exceptions, including the original exportation of the P. metallica, but from what I understand, even that situation was aided by a good bit of luck.

Botar

Status
Not open for further replies.