3D scorpion. Cast Your Votes!

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good shots. Some are overexposed but many are very nice and detailed. If you do have any extra time it would help to have a few shots directly above looking down on the scorp, it's mouth, and from the sides, but being dead and crusty I'm sure it's hard to get to stay in position. I appreciate it, and I'll do the best I can, thanks again for the time put in. I'll post examples when I start modeling to get everyone's feedback. color, textures, detailed bumps in exo and and hair will be added last BTW so model will be grey or white to start.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also at the least, if you could stretch out one of the palps so I get a 360 look of the pincers that would be helpful.

<edit> actually don't even bother, I'll do what I can for now, but I'll post images I used to make a human head so you know what I usually use for 3D image based modeling, probably should have done that to begin with.

Last edited:

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cam examples

Hey dave.

Here is an example of photos I used to model a head. Orthographic views, that is direct front, left side, right side, back, top, bottom, are ideal because you can easily place them in 3D space and then the images will ine up so I can sculpt the model based on the photos.

The roughly 3/4 angled shots are very hard to place in 3D space in relation to the 3D camera and are only useable in specific situations.

Most of your photos are not direct angles so I will have to make the model by looking at the photos and guessing mostly, but your photos are very detailed which is a big help. Just wanted to try and explain what I meant.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The problem is that the specimen is rigid and thus can't be repositioned. I was using sand at the time that one died, so it was dessicated before I got it in alcohol. I have quite a few moveable specimens, but not of the species you want.

Cheers,
Dave

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's cool man. what cam and lense do you use. pretty detailed. Also, what species you have that you can position?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Those were shot with an Olympus C4000 Zoom. It does take reasonably good shots. I also use an old Pentax SLR for some of my photography. I have a 250mm macro/zoom lense.

http://www.arachnopics.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=109

Moveable specimens include:

P.transvaalicus
C.exilicauda
M.martensii
H.troglodytes
L.quinquestriatus
L.mucronatus
A.amoreuxi
P.imperator
H.spinifer
H.cyaneus
Vaejovis sp.
V.coahuilae
V.spinigerus
C.margaritatus
C.gracilis
P.gracilior

and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Cheers,
Dave

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Macro lense is key.

:eek: I'm gunna think it over... may need another vote :D

Might actually be cool to do P. transvaalicus and animate venom spraying :D

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Dave,
Beautiful pictures :)
How do you take pictures with black back-ground ? (as the Vaejovis spp).
Thanks,
Eric

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey

I may be able to answer that if you clarify. Are the scorps black and you want a white background? Or do you want to have a black background for a light colored scorp?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you mean the pics in the gallery, looks like black sand or black gravel to me.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes you're right, on the S.donensis picture it looks like black sand, thanks :)

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No problem. Hey, after looking at skinheaddave's list of species, any in particular you would like to see in 3D? I was thinking of making P transvaalicus spraying venom... just an idea since he can take good pics of the scorp.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Actually, the S.donensis pic is just full of lint and the light is too bright and at the wrong angle. I use a piece of black velvetine as the background for those pictures, as it just sucks in the light. Idealy, there should be some space between the background and the subject, as in this pic:

but this is obviously not as easy to do with scorpions, as they must rest on a substrate.

Cheers,
Dave

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That Hadruroides charcasus is a fantastic specimen, its a very attractive species, do you know where it native to?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:mad: Damn, the most interesting species are always the hardest to get to.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
:mad: Damn, the most interesting species are always the hardest to get to.
...or the hardest species to get to are the most interesting ? ;) ;)

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ythier said:
...or the hardest species to get to are the most interesting ? ;) ;)
Very true, although I still find H. arizonensis really interesting. :)