2 of my tarantulas died in a similar way. Trying to find the cause to prevent more deaths

Michelle Reveles

Arachnopeon
Bad luck would be one death. Two is more likely a pattern.

So in cases like these where there is a string of deaths after they molt, I almost always default to pesticide exposure of some kind as it makes the most sense. One of the most common pesticides used today in the home is methoprene, which is a flea/tick treatment and has a rather insiduous method of action. It's a growth hormone analog meant to disrupt the next molt of the exposed invertebrate. Your tarantula can be exposed and be a "dead bug walking", just waiting for it's next molt weeks if not months down the road. Methoprene is water soluble, and has a half life between 1-28 days depending on exposure to sunlight, so it sticks around for awhile.

IMHO, an entirely possible scenario is a keeper pets someone's dog recently treated for fleas, didn't wash their hands prior to husbandry (or did but re-exposed themselves by handling contaminated items like keys or a phone), changed their spray bottle from mist to stream, contaminating the nozzle in the process, and exposed their collection to the pesticide, not fully realizing this has happened until weeks or even months down the line when specimens start dieing off.
I understand this is a possibility. In my case, since I haven't sprayed any kind of pesticide and am not aware of any exposure, although I know it is possible since I do go out in public and live in close proximity to others, what can I do to prevent any more deaths? Just make sure to wash hands thoroughly before touching anything tarantula related?

One of my fears is that a neighbor sprays and it comes in my window. If you live in any type of multi family dwelling situation (apartments, condos, duplex) or a tightly packed area where your neighbors are just a few feet away, that could be a possibility.
My neighbors are a few feet away. I used to have my tarantulas close to the fireplace, which we never use. I moved them because some air from the outside does come through the fireplace and it was also close to a vent. I was worried about the tempt fluctuating too much where they were. But now they are in a spot that isn't next to any vents or windows, so now I'm worried about lack of ventilation.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I understand this is a possibility. In my case, since I haven't sprayed any kind of pesticide and am not aware of any exposure, although I know it is possible since I do go out in public and live in close proximity to others, what can I do to prevent any more deaths? Just make sure to wash hands thoroughly before touching anything tarantula related?
In reality, the only thing you can do is just be aware it's a possibility and be proactive about identifying and mitigating potential contamination vectors.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I lost an E. Campestratus last year after having it for about a year. Raised it from a sling to about 2 inches. It molted one day and never ate again after that. It was slow, uncoordinated and ultimately slowly died. Fast forward to this year. I had a GBB that I had for 2 years. Also raised it from a sling to about 2.5 inches. It molted in January and never ate after. Same as the E. Campestratus, it became slow, uncoordinated and I just found it dead today. Both instances I posted on here trying to find a reason and a way to save them. My guess is dehydration but I don't know how to prevent this in the future. I ALWAYS provide a water dish, I only have arid species, so I keep the substrate dry except for around the water dish when I let the water overflow a bit. Both Ts were kept in an 8in medium cube tarantula cribs enclosure half filled with biodude substrate. I would feed them a medium mealworm once a week. Always ate unless in premolt. Now I have 4 Ts left. A G. Pulchra I've had for 2 years also raised from a sling and is now 2 inches, a 2.5 in. A. Anax, a G. Pulchripes sling and a C. Versicolor sling. The G. Pulchra and A. Anax are both in the 8 in. Tarantula cribs cube enclosure with at least half filled with biodude substrate. The slings are in 4in. Tarantula cribs cube enclosures. The C. Versicolor has an arboreal setup. All Ts have water dishes. I apologize for the long post but I am hoping for any answers on how to prevent this so I don't lose anymore. Thanks.
You should keep half the substrate dampened for really young slings. They don't all seem to be smart enough to seek out the water dish.

sparticus

Arachnoknight
My guess is dehydration but I don't know how to prevent this in the future.
Feeders with a high moisture content (my staple is gut loaded dubia roaches from my colony), and drip water on webbing once or twice a week. I use a syringe to place a couple drops on their webbing, a little pipette works well too. Mine drink from webbing A LOT more frequently than from a dish. I will even squirt a bit down into the den of my psalmopoeus, and they frequently drink some.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Some of the crazy lengths I've gone to:

Bottled spring water
Spoiled rotten feeders - organic produce, reptisoil, bottled spring water
Humidifier to offset the fans I have ventilating *the whole room*
Natural cleaners in every room except the T room - hydrogen peroxide, vinegar. Distilled or spring water only in the T room.
T room door stays closed at all times
Wash hands, supplies and enclosures (Ts and feeders) with unscented biodegradable dish soap, wipe with alcohol
Clean occupied enclosures with distilled water only
No perfume, no air fresheners, no candles anywhere in the house
Natural deodorant and body products, avoiding scented products regardless how natural, essential oils are bad too (was already doing that though)
Keep all other pets out of T room
Keep feeders on a separate shelf that does not make contact with a T shelf
Products that are specifically designed for reptiles that do not contain odiferous woods
I boil then bake my wood, then I use springtails to combat the inevitable mold that pops up because I gave it a non-competitive environment
Anything I forage comes from places miles from man, vehicles, or water runoff
When I lived in an apartment I only opened the windows at nights or Sundays when I could be fairly certain there wasn't anyone spraying the exterior of the complex
When we moved into the house we painted right away and then let everything off gas for almost 6 weeks before moving the Ts in. I regret not washing the walls after.
In the event of an unforeseen home repair that involves fumes, it can only be done with the central air off for long after the work is cured, and the T room will be taped off
I know I can fit every one of my enclosures in my car if need be (only have room for a few more rehouses though lol). It took me 16 trips down stairs to move everyone and a few hours. I'm now on a single level, so it would be a lot easier in the event of an evacuation.
I intend on adding casters to my shelves so I can roll them out faster in the event of say a house fire or haz mat situation
Carbon monoxide monitors. For you and them.
I read, read, read here. They say not to borrow sorrows from tomorrow but that is the antithesis of being prepared. Someone once suggested putting the entire enclosure in a giant trash bag, trapping as much air as possible, before the unavoidable interior pesticide treatment by the apartment complex.
But hey, smell that bag first, and every container you ever expect to come in contact with your T, even if third party. If it smells, molecules made their way from the material to your nose.
Goodbye smelly lotions, and that fancy hand soap in your guest bathroom. It's not worth the one time you were in a hurry.
My cats only have a few years left but I guess I found one other good thing about living in the desert, never seen a flea here. My cats are indoor only and no dog, and probably never a dog while I have Ts, because I don't want to stay living in the desert and I don't ever want to treat for fleas lol. And heartworm medication is mandatory for any dog here.
Only plants I bring into the house are advertised as terrarium and reptile safe. That way when my idiot cat slaughters one of them and I pick up the pieces and weep, I don't have to worry about cross contamination.

That's all the crazy I can think of right now

Michelle Reveles

Arachnopeon
Some of the crazy lengths I've gone to:

Bottled spring water
Spoiled rotten feeders - organic produce, reptisoil, bottled spring water
Humidifier to offset the fans I have ventilating *the whole room*
Natural cleaners in every room except the T room - hydrogen peroxide, vinegar. Distilled or spring water only in the T room.
T room door stays closed at all times
Wash hands, supplies and enclosures (Ts and feeders) with unscented biodegradable dish soap, wipe with alcohol
Clean occupied enclosures with distilled water only
No perfume, no air fresheners, no candles anywhere in the house
Natural deodorant and body products, avoiding scented products regardless how natural, essential oils are bad too (was already doing that though)
Keep all other pets out of T room
Keep feeders on a separate shelf that does not make contact with a T shelf
Products that are specifically designed for reptiles that do not contain odiferous woods
I boil then bake my wood, then I use springtails to combat the inevitable mold that pops up because I gave it a non-competitive environment
Anything I forage comes from places miles from man, vehicles, or water runoff
When I lived in an apartment I only opened the windows at nights or Sundays when I could be fairly certain there wasn't anyone spraying the exterior of the complex
When we moved into the house we painted right away and then let everything off gas for almost 6 weeks before moving the Ts in. I regret not washing the walls after.
In the event of an unforeseen home repair that involves fumes, it can only be done with the central air off for long after the work is cured, and the T room will be taped off
I know I can fit every one of my enclosures in my car if need be (only have room for a few more rehouses though lol). It took me 16 trips down stairs to move everyone and a few hours. I'm now on a single level, so it would be a lot easier in the event of an evacuation.
I intend on adding casters to my shelves so I can roll them out faster in the event of say a house fire or haz mat situation
Carbon monoxide monitors. For you and them.
I read, read, read here. They say not to borrow sorrows from tomorrow but that is the antithesis of being prepared. Someone once suggested putting the entire enclosure in a giant trash bag, trapping as much air as possible, before the unavoidable interior pesticide treatment by the apartment complex.
But hey, smell that bag first, and every container you ever expect to come in contact with your T, even if third party. If it smells, molecules made their way from the material to your nose.
Goodbye smelly lotions, and that fancy hand soap in your guest bathroom. It's not worth the one time you were in a hurry.
My cats only have a few years left but I guess I found one other good thing about living in the desert, never seen a flea here. My cats are indoor only and no dog, and probably never a dog while I have Ts, because I don't want to stay living in the desert and I don't ever want to treat for fleas lol. And heartworm medication is mandatory for any dog here.
Only plants I bring into the house are advertised as terrarium and reptile safe. That way when my idiot cat slaughters one of them and I pick up the pieces and weep, I don't have to worry about cross contamination.

That's all the crazy I can think of right now
This is the kind of crazy I was looking for! 🙌 I appreciate all the info. I'll keep all of this in mind 👍