1st instar feeding

raven89

Arachnopeon
My black asian scorplings left their mom last night and now i have abt 15 or so or them in a 2 feet tank , they are varocious eater eating 4 adult crickets last night and now they are hiding all over the place, how do i continue feeding them, should i kill the prey abd leave it lying around or should i place it near them? which is sort of hard as they dont travel in groups and some are in the smallest stone crevices that i am surprise how they got in .

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would just get some small crickets from your local pet shop and throw a bunch in every 4 days or so.

Also I would throw em in alive.

raven89

Arachnopeon
bur i read in some threads that adult crickets may fed on the young is it true?

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Depends how big the meal is, feed them an appropriately sized cricket each twice a week as a general rule

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If they are still in the first instar ( very pale colored, close to a whitish) then dont feed them. At this stage they have not devoloped their chelicarae fully , and will be supplied with enough nutrition from the mom at point of birth until the first molt occurs. after the first molt brings them to I2 then wait a few days and offer some pinheads.

cheers, steve

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think he is using the correct instar nomclemature (i.e. 1st instar is after the 1st moult).

As suggested give them pinhead crickets or kill some larger crickets and the scorplings should scavenge on them, like you've already done. If you keep them together you may get some cannibalism.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
I think he is using the correct instar nomclemature (i.e. 1st instar is after the 1st moult).

As suggested give them pinhead crickets or kill some larger crickets and the scorplings should scavenge on them, like you've already done. If you keep them together you may get some cannibalism.
1st instar actually refers to PE. or post embryo phase. this state is from directly after birth to the first molt. after the first molt is 2nd instar.

cheers, steve

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually far as I know an instar (using its correct definition) is the phase "between 2 successive moults" as such the larval stage is not an instar, since the scorplings have not yet undergone a moult. Technically only after the 1st moult are the scorplings in their 1st instar. However lots of people choose to make it simpler by referring to the larval stage as 1st instar (including lots of scorpologists), its pretty irrelevant which system you use but it can be confusing. Personally I refer to the larval stage as 1st instar as do most people in the hobby.

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
your opinion, may sound right. but that is not the way it works, in my opinion. im pretty positive that the stage after parturition is called 1st instar.

cheers

Last edited:

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the clarification Oliver. There is a difference between what is correct and what is commonly used.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think it is necessarily more correct since it seems to stem from confusion over the definition of an instar (which can also be the period between birth and the first moult, depending where you look), calling the larval stage 1st instar is the most common so it’s probably best to stick with that.;)

Last edited:

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
I don't think it is necessarily more correct since it seems to stem from confusion over the definition of an instar (which can also be the period between birth and the first moult, depending where you look), calling the larval stage 1st instar is the most common so it’s probably best to stick with that.;)
Hey, I was agreeing with you.:)

It is "commonly" believed that scorplings leave the mothers back during their 2nd instar and will feed themselves at that point. There, are we all on the same page.

raven89

Arachnopeon
ok to make everything clear, mine has already molted once and left the mother's back, they feasted on 4 to 5 adult cricket on the first night but ignore the new ones when i put them in the second night, are they not hungry? Funny thing is they like to group together crawling on the top of one another, is that weird?