12x12x18 inch tank what to put in it

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a 12x12x18 inch planted tank with a false bottom. I'm looking for something that is small enough not need to get larger tank. It would also be great if it would be happy at room temps 67 winter 74 summer. I can add some heat but would rather not.

Thanks john

PhiGamTeacher

Arachnopeon
Something along the Avicularia genus is my vote. If you have more exp with Ts, then either P. regalis or P. ornata!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Something along the Avicularia genus is my vote. If you have more exp with Ts, then either P. regalis or P. ornata!
I'm not looking to put tarantula in it. I personally think H incei colony would be cool in that tank, but I have two going already.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thumbnail dart frogs!
Thinking about small dart frogs.

---------- Post added 11-16-2013 at 05:36 PM ----------

Gecko? I don't know much about care though.
If I can find one small enough.

---------- Post added 11-16-2013 at 05:38 PM ----------

I was thinking about pygmy chameleons. Not sure if they are small enough however. Plus from what I've read most are wild caught and full of parasites.

PhiGamTeacher

Arachnopeon
I'm not looking to put tarantula in it. I personally think H incei colony would be cool in that tank, but I have two going already.
Ahh, my apologies! I was on my phone and didn't pay attention to the sub this was posted in. Best of luck deciding!

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
There are some small Phelsuma geckos that would work in there. The darts wouldn't require special heat and light. The gecko would.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds perfect for a pair of thumbnail darts. I just setup a 12x12x18 a month ago and have it planted well with mini bromeliads and other low growing ground plants.

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
get a crested gecko, they are the cutest geckos imo. or as previously mentioned dart frogs, although ive never had much luck with keeping amphibians so ive given up on keeping them.

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
get a crested gecko, they are the cutest geckos imo. or as previously mentioned dart frogs, although ive never had much luck with keeping amphibians so ive given up on keeping them.
12x12x18 is too small for an adult Crested Gecko.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was thinking about pygmy chameleons. Not sure if they are small enough however. Plus from what I've read most are wild caught and full of parasites.

I've owned chams before for a while. Wild caught chams are definitely full of parasites generally. I wouldn't recommend them at all, you only deplete what's left of a likely small population. Also, WC chams don't typically fair well in captivity because they are usually dehydrated from that LONG ass trip from half way around the world usually, stress etc etc. It's a bad idea to get WCs, more so if you have never owned chameleons.

Also the pygmy chams aren't a beginner species, so if you haven't owned chams before, it isn't something I'd recommend. They are quite cool, def. TINY. Just not a species to start with if you haven't owned this type of lizard before.

The Brookesiinae group are not arboreal like the other group of chameleons, They live among the leaf litter, so I think your tank is more designed for arboreal than a terrestrial species. They hunt at night on the ground among the leaf litter, and as sun rises find their favorite spot for sleep, usually a low hanging branch/vine etc.

With that false bottom, man, you have to put dart frogs in their! Have fun raising flies!

Last edited:

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Arent Pygmy chameleons terrestrial, hiding in leaf litter on the forest floor?

If 12x12x18 is too small for a mature crestie, the only common arboreal species I can think of is Anole. Otherwise Id suggest some species of Tree Frog.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Arent Pygmy chameleons terrestrial, hiding in leaf litter on the forest floor?

If 12x12x18 is too small for a mature crestie, the only common arboreal species I can think of is Anole. Otherwise Id suggest some species of Tree Frog.
If I remember correctly, they sleep just above the leaf litter, but not among it.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
Lygodactylus williamsi. I can hook you up with some great care info on them.

Pandinus97

Arachnopeon
Agreed with Perentie, Lygodactylus geckos (I especially love the yellowheads) make great additions to the tank you have, Pygmy chameleons would also make an interesting captive

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Crested would work just fine. I know plenty of folk who keep them in cages that size w great success.

I'd second some sort of Ranitomeya-a pair of imitator would be a good choice-or a small group of variabilis...which is a montane sp. and will do great with your temp range that I am quite jealous of.