120 Gal Bubinga Plywood Vivarium build for DART FROGS, with waterfall (SLOW BUILD)

xTimx

Arachnoknight
Update:

buddy came over last night and helped me hook up the 8 fans for the ventilation for the canopy, the fans are mostly to cool off the Grow n Glow lights, but will also draw up air from the top vent on the tank! here's the progress pics from start to finish. The 8 Fans are hooked up to a Ac/Dc power inverter from 120v to 12v.

Fans finished. installed and wired and cable managed.

Next up....applying the maple trim pieces to the outside of the canopy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This keeps looking better and better. Thank you for continuing to update!! I love the frogs..gorgeous. Do you have a link the inverter?

xTimx

Arachnoknight
Update:

worked on the canopy last night. still need to wire the lights in, and route the water lines too. here's pics

the Trim pieces on the canopy were cut using a compound mitre joint version. where 3 pieces come together to form a point.

Like this

Finished product

here's my buddy brad attaching the hinges.

Finished product on the tank:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That looks good. This is the one thing that manufacturers are missing, a nice canopy esp one for animals that require high temps.

bk10

Arachnopeon
Very nice build. You inspired me to think about maybe doing something like this in the future! :cool:

xTimx

Arachnoknight
Weekend Update: (Obligatory?) haha

soooooo the canopy is pretty much done. buddy brad came over tonight, finished the wiring on the fans, hooked up the tubes for the misting system, get everything fitted in nicely, added a 2nd timer for the lights so i'm actually offsetting the light for morning, afternoon, and evening. all the timers are set up and set. (here's hoping there wont be a power outage haha) here;s some pics.

So to start things off, my brom bloomed 3 flowers.

here's the underside of the canopy. yes there's Ducttape on there right now but will change that out once i find a better way to attach the wires neatly (probably gorilla tape)

and here it is.... the canopy done, with the lights on and misting on. i think i'm going to buy more nozzles, possibly 3 more double nozzles to get better coverage.

and a pic of the misters that just stopped

Thats it for now. i didnt get much done this weekend as i wasnt feeling very good :(

Cheers!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you need to build a nice stand for it..This is gorgeous, my Ts are ready to move in! Are you going to plant it more?

Quinquangular

Arachnoknight
Wow dude. True art, looks so cool...!!!!!
Anyways.
I heard that pet poison dart frogs aren't poisonous since they aren't feeding on poisonous things, since isn't that how poison dart frogs get poisonous? By eating poisonous plants or animals? Forgot.
If that's true, are those plants you put in poisonous? Just really curious, they are so vibrant in color and that use enclosure really shows the beauty of their habitat and the animals themselves!

Bill Myers

Arachnopeon
Wow dude. True art, looks so cool...!!!!!
Anyways.
I heard that pet poison dart frogs aren't poisonous since they aren't feeding on poisonous things, since isn't that how poison dart frogs get poisonous? By eating poisonous plants or animals? Forgot.
If that's true, are those plants you put in poisonous? Just really curious, they are so vibrant in color and that use enclosure really shows the beauty of their habitat and the animals themselves!
From what I understand, the poison dart frogs synthesize poisonous alkaloids from their prey. So, the captive bred dart frogs are less toxic because they usually aren't fed a diet of centipedes and other venomous critters. Dart frogs prey on small insects, so their diet doesn't consist of plants. Ergo, the plants are of little consequence unless the prey item eats the plants.

That's about all I know on that subject.

Cheers

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Bumping this just wondering how it's going? Awesome looking build!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

xTimx

Arachnoknight
well.... the frogs are in the tank, but i got impatient with the build and didnt finish the wrapping on the stand. so as it sits right now, the frogs are in the tank like i said. and the plants are growing in it. i need more plants though for sure. when i'll be finishing it? well...... dunno yet honestly lol. things have been coming up in my life that have been pulling me away from the build soooooo...... i hope you guys can understand. thanx everyone who viewed and liked and thanked the thread! you guys kept me going! :D cheers!

xTimx

Arachnoknight
Currently there is 5 frogs housed inside. i'm actually thinking about taking them out and putting them into my 40gal breeder i'm gonna re-build. then buy some Leucs (probably 6 of them) and put them into this tank.
I'm also going to be building another tank that'll be placed just below my projector screen. when i'll be doing that....i dunno.
i'll be making a new build thread for each new tank. i'll keep you all informed when i start them up