10Gal too small for Goliath??keeps trying to Climb

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
my 7.7-8" inch Goliath birdeater with a cyst keeps trying to climb its cage
T strimi (burgandy)
Any Help on what I should do??
100% eco earth 4 inches deep , Large cork bark hide, Humidity high 80-90% damp substrate 80degrees room
10 gallon tank

The Goliath bird-eater already has a Small Cyst but it seems very healthy:o_O:

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Substraight is probably too wet or is hungry. Stirmi do no need to be as damp as Blondi IMO................

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Substraight is probably too wet or is hungry. Stirmi do no need to be as damp as Blondi IMO................
Perhaps its too wet I cannot feed it any more due to the fact cyst would kill it. if it got really fatt.
still applying IOdine once a month or two

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
most people will say a 10 gallon is fine for a Goliath I have T. stirmi in a 30 gallon, the substrate shouldn't be the issue. the humidity in my is 90 percent and she doesn't climb in fact she just molted over two weeks ago. did you recently rehouse her because she could just be getting use to the surrounding. I mean how long have you had her?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
most people will say a 10 gallon is fine for a Goliath I have T. stirmi in a 30 gallon, the substrate shouldn't be the issue. the humidity in my is 90 percent and she doesn't climb in fact she just molted over two weeks ago. did you recently rehouse her because she could just be getting use to the surrounding. I mean how long have you had her?
had her for 5-7 months I would say
I did give her new dirt about 4-8 weeks ago. Perhaps that's the reason why

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Are you sure she's not a mature male, wondering around for a mate? Why not just add more dirt so it can't climb?

Later, Tom

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
For me, personally, I would want the T in a larger enclosure, maybe a 20Long, but I like to give more space than a fair number of people. I would think the substrate depth is fine, as 4" of substrate + 8" leg span = 12", the same as the height of a 10 gallon. Substrate dampness I don't think is a problem unless it is rediculously, over the top wet (I have never heard of stirmis needing dryer conditions than blondi). I like Philth's thoughts that it is a MM, as Theraphosa don't have tibial hooks and are not as obvious when males mature. Or it's just a tarantula being a tarantula and not acting the way you want it to.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
10 gallon seems small for a Goliath. If it's not an MM, I'd rehouse in something larger.

Blame Tapatalk + "smart" phone for the typos kthnx

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
For me, personally, I would want the T in a larger enclosure, maybe a 20Long, but I like to give more space than a fair number of people. I would think the substrate depth is fine, as 4" of substrate + 8" leg span = 12", the same as the height of a 10 gallon. Substrate dampness I don't think is a problem unless it is rediculously, over the top wet (I have never heard of stirmis needing dryer conditions than blondi). I like Philth's thoughts that it is a MM, as Theraphosa don't have tibial hooks and are not as obvious when males mature. Or it's just a tarantula being a tarantula and not acting the way you want it to.
The Molt clearly Sexed it as a Female + was bought as female
Fangs are also way larger than a Male

I fed it today one Roach too hold of its appetite perhaps she was Hungry!!

Last edited:

jakykong

Arachnobaron
The Molt clearly Sexed it as a Female + was bought as female
Fangs are also way larger than a Male

I fed it today one Roach too hold of its appetite perhaps she was Hungry!!
What do fangs have to do with the sex of the tarantula? That's a new one on me; I was pretty sure it's bulbous pedipalps and tibial hooks.

Anyway, as has alreday been said, 10 gallon seems a bit small for a goliath, or pretty much anything else with 8" legspan (my 10 gallon tanks are only about a foot wide. Doesn't leave much for a tarantula that's going to want to wander.) I can't really add anything new here, though; I don't own a goliath. (Perhaps I'll get one someday, but it's LP's for now. :D)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It is sexed a female I am a pretty Advanced at sexing molts, rarely wrong.
But Perhaps it needs a Larger cage.
I am broke though so Ill spent most my money left for the cage!!!:(

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I mean you don't have to buy an tank obviously you can always get a nice big plastic container at walmart for cheaper than a 30 gallon tank

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If its display and aesthetics, larger enclosure is the way to go. But honestly, once a T settles down (assuming its not a MM), it should just stay in a relatively small area within the vicinity of its burrow. Why not just give it time to settle back down again?

Regards,
Ryan

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Not disagreeing with your result that the T is female. I just don't understand why you mentioned fangs; as far as I know, you cannot determine the sex of a tarantula by the length of their fangs.

Also, cheap, clear containers are not all that hard to find. Around here, Target carries plastic tubs that are as clear as KKs - they work great. Alternatively, check classified ads near you. A broken fish tank that doesn't hold water will still hold a T just fine. :)

sugarsandz

Arachnosquire
You know what they say about big fangs? It's a girl! LOL sorry I can't help myself. . .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not disagreeing with your result that the T is female. I just don't understand why you mentioned fangs; as far as I know, you cannot determine the sex of a tarantula by the length of their fangs.

Also, cheap, clear containers are not all that hard to find. Around here, Target carries plastic tubs that are as clear as KKs - they work great. Alternatively, check classified ads near you. A broken fish tank that doesn't hold water will still hold a T just fine. :)
Molt has a Very pronounced flap , its a female.
Sorry I couldn't resist talking about the big fangs:laugh:

nolan

Arachnopeon
You can always look for a decent used tank i picked up a 21 long for like 15 dollars plus stand

---------- Post added 02-18-2013 at 03:56 PM ----------

Although it does need like 2 1/2 bags of eco earth to get proper depth