1 Month of keeping T's and looks like my first death curl

Pugsley

Arachnopeon
What I thought was a adult female G.rosea may well be a MM ready to go.. :(

She/He fed well the first week I got him and since hasn't eaten anything (not so unusual for a rose) but the last few days he (I'll stick with 'he' for now) has been very active plodding around the tank and staying out of the hide on display all of the time, yesterday and today he's been moving the just plonking down with legs tucked up underneath then moving a bit... and so on.. Below is his current position which doesn't look good. I can touch rear or front/side legs, Abdomen or carap etc.. and this produces no movement or attempt to get away at all.. He's still alive and kinda stands up a bit and then flopping back down every now and then.

This is not good huh??? or is this a rose just being a rose.. :?

Meecht

Arachnosquire
If it's a mature male, then his pedipalps will look like punching gloves and could very well be on his way out.

However, I've been reading Tarantulas and Other Arachnids lately and it said that MM G. rosea have been known to molt and lose their boxing glove palps afterward. I'm not sure if that information is still accurate, though.

It's also possible that it could be getting ready to molt. They are supposed to flip on their backs when doing this, but some Ts have been known to molt in other positions.

Just leave him alone and see if he moves. If a strange smell starts to come from his enclosure, then he's passed :(

Pugsley

Arachnopeon
No hooks or boxing gloves .. so maybe she is a she and is just getting ready to molt in her own quirky way.. I really hope this is the case as in the short time I've had her I've really grown fond of her.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Poor guy, he sure is pretty though. I've had a T start a molt this way, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll just molt..? I don't know about G. Roseas, but I've had a MM A. Avic molt again, and he came out with no pedipalps. He's not doing so hot, so I hope that doesn't happen if this is a MM. Good luck.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it's a mature male, then his pedipalps will look like punching gloves and could very well be on his way out.

However, I've been reading Tarantulas and Other Arachnids lately and it said that MM G. rosea have been known to molt and lose their boxing glove palps afterward. I'm not sure if that information is still accurate, though.
That's only for MM attempting a post-ultimate molt.

Alexandra V

Arachnosquire
I know it's not a 100% way of telling, but it doesn't seem to have a very male build to it either, and since you didn't noticed the hooks under the legs or the clubbed pedipalps, then I'd put my money on it being a female just getting ready to molt.

Just make sure she has everything she needs (water, clean enclosure, etc) and I'm sure everything will come out fine. :)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know it's not a 100% way of telling, but it doesn't seem to have a very male build to it either, and since you didn't noticed the hooks under the legs or the clubbed pedipalps, then I'd put my money on it being a female just getting ready to molt.

Just make sure she has everything she needs (water, clean enclosure, etc) and I'm sure everything will come out fine. :)
Males only have a different build after they mature. The only way you are gonna be able to sex it is via the molt.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
My rosie used to do that pose all the time. She only died recently but she was doing it years before she died.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
Males only have a different build after they mature. The only way you are gonna be able to sex it is via the molt.

I agree. No hooks and boxing gloves only mean that it's not a Mature male. It could still be either male or female.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a fresh molt to me. Substrate could be a little on the dry side as well for rosea.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

I agree. No hooks and boxing gloves only mean that it's not a Mature male. It could still be either male or female.
A ventral shot would help us determine the sex.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like a fresh molt to me. Substrate could be a little on the dry side as well for rosea.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

A ventral shot would help us determine the sex.
How does that look like a fresh molt? And a little on the dry side for a rosea?

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How does that look like a fresh molt? And a little on the dry side for a rosea?
In my opinion it does, he/she looks really rosy and fresh to me. And if I'm not mistaken, rosea like it extremely dry. I don't keep tarantulas anymore but I remember when I had my rosea the substrate was super dry with only the water bowl as her moisture.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my opinion it does, he/she looks really rosy and fresh to me. And if I'm not mistaken, rosea like it extremely dry. I don't keep tarantulas anymore but I remember when I had my rosea the substrate was super dry with only the water bowl as her moisture.
Well the OP didn't say anything about it molting.

And I thought you were saying that is was TOO dry for it. I was like :? :D

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the sub appears to be a soil mix with perlite, perhaps why it look "damp" compared to something like dry coir.

as to the rest of the thread, the shot is wrong to determine sex and the lighting wrong to determine how long its been since it moulted, at least for me anyway. kind of does look like the beginnings of a curl, but i'll admit i could be wrong because i have no experience with deaths in this fashion.

Thompson08

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the OP didn't say anything about it molting.

And I thought you were saying that is was TOO dry for it. I was like :? :D
Ahh that is true! To the op can you post a ventral shot of your t so we can determine the sex? What you describe though by him being more and more active, walking around the cage, makes me think he may be a male searching for a female. Females would stay in the burrow.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahh that is true! To the op can you post a ventral shot of your t so we can determine the sex? What you describe though by him being more and more active, walking around the cage, makes me think he may be a male searching for a female. Females would stay in the burrow.
Only mature males search for females, and the OP already said it didn't have the MM features.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To the op to end this issue is simple coax the T...
if it moves around and starts walking then your t is not in a death curl... but if doesn't or it does but just a little bit then you might have a problem!!!!
id put him in icu asap simple as that!!!!....

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes thank you I know that. Could still be a male.
True, but that wouldn't explain the wandering.

Nonetheless, OP get up a ventral. Also, an ICU isn't gonna help unless it is dehydrated, but you could use it as a last ditch effort.