💛💙First old world on the way💙💛

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Ooh yeah, they are beasts. Mine just molted to 2”. It did take a few months for it to start webbing, that part killed me every day and it’s like nope, not ready.

Rehousing this week. First rehouse at 1” and it was one pissed lad, that’s what my pic was from. I was told it’s the fluid they use to groom. Can’t wait to see what transpires this go around (I really can, but it’s time to upgrade).
Mine is still in a BBQ sauce condiment cup. I will be rehousing to a 16oz deli when it molts next, assuming it'll outgrow the cup it's in. I typically use nice acrylic for every spider I have, but for OW terrestrial/fossorial I use deli cups until they're in their final homes. Just easier to deal with for me.

PXL_20211223_065214507.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Mine is still in a BBQ sauce condiment cup. I will be rehousing to a 16oz deli when it molts next, assuming it'll outgrow the cup it's in. I typically use nice acrylic for every spider I have, but for OW terrestrial/fossorial I use deli cups until they're in their final homes. Just easier to deal with for me.
I used something similar, it was a plastic snack container that probably holds about 12-15 nuts or small snack stuff I got from the container store. Then bumped it up to 4x4” Amac box which was a good size and inexpensive. Now it’ll go into a 8x6” acrylic.

I did buy some mini acrylic enclosures, but in the end it’s not worth $15 a pop for something that many T’s will outgrow quickly and the air holes are same size as the larger enclosures…seriously, how does that make any sense. I find inexpensive stuff to work better a lot of the times.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I find inexpensive stuff to work better a lot of the times.
For years I saw Cold Blood saying use deli cups, use deli cups. I didn't want to, but I wasn't into OW at the time. Deli cups are perfect for slings too small for the small acrylic enclosures (4x3x3) and for Old Worlds until they outgrown the 16/32oz, and I am a fan of letting them get a little cramped in the delis so I can put immediately into final home, or the home right before the final home, to avoid doing more times. Lol but all others get nice display acrylic through adulthood if they fit comfortably in the smallest acrylic to start with, once it outgrows BBQ sauce cups

Craig73

Arachnoangel
For years I saw Cold Blood saying use deli cups, use deli cups. I didn't want to, but I wasn't into OW at the time. Deli cups are perfect for slings too small for the small acrylic enclosures (4x3x3) and for Old Worlds until they outgrown the 16/32oz, and I am a fan of letting them get a little cramped in the delis so I can put immediately into final home, or the home right before the final home, to avoid doing more times. Lol but all others get nice display acrylic through adulthood if they fit comfortably in the smallest acrylic to start with, once it outgrows BBQ sauce cups
I got a darlingi sling from him the other month and said just use a deli cup. damned if it doesn’t work better than some of the stuff I’ve used, hahaha. And it still looks decent next to my acrylics.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I got a darlingi sling from him the other month and said just use a deli cup. damned if it doesn’t work better than some of the stuff I’ve used, hahaha. And it still looks decent next to my acrylics.
Agreed lol. My sling and Juvie shelf. The space that can fit "one more T" on the right is for my OBT sling. I'm monitoring it's eating now so it's misplaced currently, but when it's in there it fits snugly next to the rest lol

PXL_20211223_073120089.jpg

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Agreed lol. My sling and Juvie shelf. The space that can fit "one more T" on the right is for my OBT sling. I'm monitoring it's eating now so it's misplaced currently, but when it's in there it fits snugly next to the rest lol

View attachment 406456
Very nice! The obt RCF sling was hands down one of the smoothest rehousings I’ve done to date as terrifying as I made it out to be in my mind. It’s 3” in a 8x6” now and needs to be rehoused, but I want a nice enclosure since it appears to be female. It’s really chill so far, but if it
molts before I rehouse it I’m going to crap my pants. It’s got the same amazing orange as the H. pulchripes with amazing blue/green pads.

9D2092F7-A2EA-46DD-8226-DD17A46C359D.jpeg

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
@Craig73 man that's a beautiful spider. Mine is the RCF too. But it's only 1/4" right now and not very orange yet. In time though, in time. Ya. I plan to use the BBQ sauce cup for it, then 16oz deli, then a 12x10x8 (if I let it outgrow the deli for a while) and if it's a big specimen that outgrows that I'll get it a 5 gal aquarium tank with a custom acrylic lid. Same does for my H. pulchripes

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@Craig73 man that's a beautiful spider. Mine is the RCF too. But it's only 1/4" right now and not very orange yet. In time though, in time. Ya. I plan to use the BBQ sauce cup for it, then 16oz deli, then a 12x10x8 (if I let it outgrow the deli for a while) and if it's a big specimen that outgrows that I'll get it a 5 gal aquarium tank with a custom acrylic lid. Same does for my H. pulchripes
If I recall correctly 1” you really start to
see the color pop on the abdomen and around 1.5 - 2” you are fist pumping from the color popping. Legs were the last to really get color.

I suspect the H. pulchripes to be male. Not super bummed, but bummed. Hope I’m wrong, but if not it’ll go off for breeding. I’d get another for sure. For the obt…I plan on seeing a long life out of her. I can do ow terrestrial and fossorial, but ow arboreal is a fear. Tried with a pokie and folded 3” in. Live and learn; too new to keeping and in over my head in that one.

My Ow:
obt (RCF)
H. Pulchripes
C. darlingi
I. mira
king baboon (too lazy to type the name) 😆

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
My Ow:
obt (RCF)
H. Pulchripes
C. darlingi
I. mira
king baboon (too lazy to type the name) 😆
My OW
P. metallica
P. vittata
H. pulchripes
OBT
C. Fimbriatus

The vittata is 3" now, it was intimidating for sure to move it. When I first got it, being arboreal. I ended up doing the "drop the current enclosure in the new one" method, and taking the cup out later. I feel the same way, but I'm very careful. I've made contraptions of cardboard and deli cups to make transitions smooth as butter. But I still have those dreams or "what if it escapes" to get my dog, or when I'm sleeping. But I embrace the feelings. Better than getting sloshed and hammered on the weekends. I'm sober, so my addiction went from booze to spoods. Gotta get my thrills from more than just a Hamorii :p but I do ride a Harley on the freeway at 90mph, so that's a thrill too. If I can do that and not worry about dying, I can take a bite from an OW (I'd still hate it and try to avoid it tho)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
My OW
P. metallica
P. vittata
H. pulchripes
OBT
C. Fimbriatus

The vittata is 3" now, it was intimidating for sure to move it. When I first got it, being arboreal. I ended up doing the "drop the current enclosure in the new one" method, and taking the cup out later. I feel the same way, but I'm very careful. I've made contraptions of cardboard and deli cups to make transitions smooth as butter. But I still have those dreams or "what if it escapes" to get my dog, or when I'm sleeping. But I embrace the feelings. Better than getting sloshed and hammered on the weekends. I'm sober, so my addiction went from booze to spoods. Gotta get my thrills from more than just a Hamorii :p but I do ride a Harley on the freeway at 90mph, so that's a thrill too. If I can do that and not worry about dying, I can take a bite from an OW (I'd still hate it and try to avoid it tho)
Nice, inspirational. I am on a slow path, cut out drinking 3 days a week, just take it day by day.

I went hard core on my second attempt at keeping spoods starting back up in 2020. The few slings I’ve lost I took it hard. I’m some aspects it’s a blessing to know that my passion for these animals surpasses my fear. In other aspects it’s compulsive. I’m a hot mess that’s a work in progress.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
I’m a hot mess that’s a work in progress.
I think anyone that decides to own T's voluntarily is a hot mess in some form or another 😂

Ya.. I had a hard truth hit me about 6 years ago. I cut drinking out altogether.

I've only had one spider (sling) pass on me and it was about a month ago. Still don't have a clue what it was or why. It went to molt and died in molting position. I hated that.. I still fear the spoods but mostly fear the "What Ifs" of escapes of OW, but I'm consciously avoiding those scenarios. The NW are a piece of cake compared to the OW though, but I treat them all with the same amount of respect now. I decided to jump into OW a little earlier than others, but I respect them, never handle and research a crap ton, (research never ends) and had a few basic T's for 2-5 years before I got them.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I think anyone that decides to own T's voluntarily is a hot mess in some form or another 😂

Ya.. I had a hard truth hit me about 6 years ago. I cut drinking out altogether.

I've only had one spider (sling) pass on me and it was about a month ago. Still don't have a clue what it was or why. It went to molt and died in molting position. I hated that.. I still fear the spoods but mostly fear the "What Ifs" of escapes of OW, but I'm consciously avoiding those scenarios. The NW are a piece of cake compared to the OW though, but I treat them all with the same amount of respect now. I decided to jump into OW a little earlier than others, but I respect them, never handle and research a crap ton, (research never ends) and had a few basic T's for 2-5 years before I got them.
Only thing I really regret is not experiencing an adult tarantula and all that goes into raising one to adult before I went nuts on acquiring a lot. Ironically my hotter nw (Psalmopoeus) and ow are quickly out growing more docile/entry level T’s and becoming my learning curve for rehousings.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Only thing I really regret is not experiencing an adult tarantula and all that goes into raising one to adult before I went nuts on acquiring a lot. Ironically my hotter nw (Psalmopoeus) and ow are quickly out growing more docile/entry level T’s and becoming my learning curve for rehousings.
Yes, I would say the same for me. I raised 2 to adulthood, then 2 to sub adults, then acquired a lot. But, working on the computer, I'm on AB half of the time I'm free during work, and in my free time, have become friends with some great breeders and collectors, I gained confidence and more passion for the hobby that I felt adequate enough to continue to go deeper down the rabbit hole. But yes, I would agree with you, some of my OW and Arboreals were a faster learning curve than say one of my Brachypelmas.. but YOLO lol, I don't think I need a certain number of T's before I get into OW. Like "you need to raise at least 20 first" or things like that. I apply things I've learned with respect, carefulness, preparedness, and knowledge when dealing with any spider now. But I'd still not recommend someone's very first T to be an OW, I waited 5 years to get an OBT (not like I was counting the days or anything) but people get those as their first T's that arent knowledgeable, and that's a mistake. I'm grateful for this place.

Last edited:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Yes, I would say the same for me. I raised 2 to adulthood, then 2 to sub adults, then acquired a lot. But, working on the computer, I'm on AB half of the time I'm free from work, and in my free time, have become friends with some great breeders and collectors, I gained confidence and more passion for the hobby that I felt adequate enough to continue to go deeper down the rabbit hole. But yes, I would agree with you, some of my OW and Arboreals were a faster learning curve than say one of my Brachypelmas.. but YOLO lol, I don't think I need a certain number of T's before I get into OW. Like "you need to raise at least 20 first" or things like that.
Ooh yeah. I’ve met a few people in person and several in chat here. Literally texted someone tonight for advice; that’s pretty rock star stuff when you can really make connections with people.

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
Ooh yeah. I’ve met a few people in person and several in chat here. Literally texted someone tonight for advice; that’s pretty rock star stuff when you can really make connections with people.
I have random ongoing chats with some breeders, one of which is very well known, and he's SUPER chill. Just chat on FB whenever, random things about T's, advice, and life. Good stuff 👍

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@JonnyTorch should we give @CerealMilk back the thread?

What’s the saying, possession is 9/10th the law? Maybe we now own this 50/50. I’ll sell my half to you for $1.2M. I’m sure in the fine print (or not so fine) AB owns the content, but you can still pay me for my 50%. 😂

CerealMilk

Arachnopeon
Haha I don't mind at all I love this place there isn't alot of places you can go to spill your guts about how much you love terantulas plus everyone is helpful and pretty great to talk to :D

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Haha I don't mind at all I love this place there isn't alot of places you can go to spill your guts about how much you love terantulas plus everyone is helpful and pretty great to talk to :D
How’s your new addition doing? Amazing I hope.

CerealMilk

Arachnopeon
Yea everyone is super happy eating and i got my husband his first T (Versicolor) and it molted a couple days ago. It's pretty cool to see how excited he also I got a juvenile balfori and I can't get enough of It