“Show” species recommendations

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
So I’m currently in the process of making shelves for some nice display enclosures and was curious what your opinion would be on some rarer species that are mostly out. (Not opposed to fossorial species but would much rather prefer if I could see them. The bigger the better as well. Any color is fine but the more color the better)

I was looking into getting a Pamphobeteus sp. Solaris and a Xenesthis of some sort. What other species would you guys recommend?

I plan on getting anywhere from 3-8 more species depending on the size.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Search the forum there are tons of this EXACT question

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I am certain, the answers to this question will most likely be vary to each person who answers.

To me, ‘show’ tarantulas would be most heavy webbing tarantulas. I will always be amazed by how they intensively web / decorate their enclosures.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
A lot of the time it depends on the individual more than the species. I would say a pokie that loves to hang outside of the cork bark would be the #1 show tarantula, because theyre huge and pretty, but most pokies do not do this. I hear people say gbbs are always out, and theyre pretty and big. Both my h. pulchripes and obt love coming out despite being fossorial. Some species will be out more than others, but its kind of just a lottery to see if you will get a shy individual or not

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Great question! I love reading other people's answers to this question.

My list:

- Theraphosa apophysis
- Acanthoscuria geniculata
- GBB
- Tliltocatl albo
- Lasiodora parahybana
- G pulchra
- B klaasi
- B emilia
- B hamorii

Disclaimer: the last 4 usually grow pretty slowly so it'll be a while before they reach the size and stage at which then make great display Ts. First 4 are incredible.

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
I am certain, the answers to this question will most likely be vary to each person who answers.

To me, ‘show’ tarantulas would be most heavy webbing tarantulas. I will always be amazed by how they intensively web / decorate their enclosures.
Me personally it can be either a heavy Webber or non Webber. My opinion of a show tarantula is just one that’s always out in plain sight. If it happens to be an active species then even better.

A lot of the time it depends on the individual more than the species. I would say a pokie that loves to hang outside of the cork bark would be the #1 show tarantula, because theyre huge and pretty, but most pokies do not do this. I hear people say gbbs are always out, and theyre pretty and big. Both my h. pulchripes and obt love coming out despite being fossorial. Some species will be out more than others, but its kind of just a lottery to see if you will get a shy individual or not
I actually currently have both a GBB and a P. Regalis, they’re both luckily always out, especially the GBB

Great question! I love reading other people's answers to this question.

My list:

- Theraphosa apophysis
- Acanthoscuria geniculata
- GBB
- Tliltocatl albo
- Lasiodora parahybana
- G pulchra
- B klaasi
- B emilia
- B hamorii

Disclaimer: the last 4 usually grow pretty slowly so it'll be a while before they reach the size and stage at which then make great display Ts. First 4 are incredible.
I actually Already have those first 3 lol, I was thinking for a black tarantula to get a P. Antinous since it’s bigger and more on the rare side. I’ve never had a Pampho so I’m not sure if they happen to be more out than other species

The best show T is the one you can see!!!
I definitely agree!

Last edited:

DustyD

Arachnoknight

I took the OP question to mean a more visible T and to me more webbing = more hiding. I am sure there are probably exceptions. But then I don't own any heavy webbing tarantulas.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brachypelma boehmei is hard to beat, that contrast of red/orange and black is truly stunning !