Zophoba eggs when?

mwreptiles

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I have at least 200 super worm beetles that have been in their bins since Jan 7th. They're all kept at about 74 degrees. They're spread into 4 different containers. Some with cage furniture, some without, different substrates/gutload (but not peat or dirt)

If anyone has bred super worms how long did it take you to see/get eggs/babies?

I check all the time and haven't seen a single baby.

If the beetles are in fact not breeding what changes should I make?

Thanks,

- Mike

siliconthoughts

Arachnopeon
The baby worms are REALLY small. I only found mine when I moved the bran they were in into piles, and they started making little bran-slides down the slopes.

I used a piece of wood with a lot of parallel saw cuts in it for them to deposit eggs in. I think I read that on AB. I'm not sure how effective it was, but they did lay eggs in the cuts. I don't recall the time frame from beetles to tiny worms, but I think it was on the order of two months.

I ran through about two generations (before switching over to roaches) using a sweater box sized enclosure with bran and cut wood block on one half, aspen shavings and some toilet paper tube shelters on the other. Carrots were what I used to add moisture. I had about 20 beetles and produced many hundreds of worms. I'd scoop out the bran with the baby worms to grow out in a second sweater box periodically.

Colin

mwreptiles

Arachnopeon
hi

Ok, thanks..

I'll just wait longer... thanks for the wood idea, since i'm lazy i'll use cork bark though. :D