Zopherus nodulosus Sexing?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Any Coleoptera experts out there know how to sex Zopherus nodulosus? Found a few on/in a dead tree I cut down. I heard they may each lichen, I can get plenty of that. Anyone have any more info in them? They’re gorgeous! And want to know if it’s even worth taking them out of their environment and home with me thanks guys collected/found Medina Tx 2F7D6594-8C5E-48AC-9B01-C71EF6407874.jpeg 98295F7B-506D-4B90-9BE7-BC2E38C3CF43.jpeg

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Oh man, if you could get those breeding you'd be a really popular guy. They're pretty long lived in captivity, but the big question mark has always been what they eat in the wild/where they oviposit. Sadly I'm not sure how to sex them other than gently trying to pull out the bits to check. I think I've got some papers on Zopherus somewhere, let me check...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Oh man, if you could get those breeding you'd be a really popular guy. They're pretty long lived in captivity, but the big question mark has always been what they eat in the wild/where they oviposit. Sadly I'm not sure how to sex them other than gently trying to pull out the bits to check. I think I've got some papers on Zopherus somewhere, let me check...
Thanks for gettinng back to me!!

If I can get more info on them I may try and go back and scout for a group of them to possibly try breeding. I dont wat to take a bunnch of individuals out without knowing how to get them up annd running.

Last edited:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Oh man, if you could get those breeding you'd be a really popular guy. They're pretty long lived in captivity, but the big question mark has always been what they eat in the wild/where they oviposit.
What do they eat in captivity?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I read some stuff that possibly lichen/algae/fungi related foods. I read an old thread on here talking about possibly feeding on algae based fish food. But the threads didn’t elaborate on whether or not that worked.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
No idea on how to sex them, only that this species is only associated with what, cottonwood and pecan trees in the wild? So their larvae probably eat wood of those tree species, adults will probably only oviposit in the presence of those wood types, but no one has EVER been able to get their adults to oviposit... I'm also gonna make a wild guess and say there's a chance larvae may be cannibalistic, just because I feel like this species would have to make it even harder to rear them that it already is. 😂

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No idea on how to sex them, only that this species is only associated with what, cottonwood and pecan trees in the wild? So their larvae probably eat wood of those tree species, adults will probably only oviposit in the presence of those wood types, but no one has EVER been able to get their adults to oviposit... I'm also gonna make a wild guess and say there's a chance larvae may be cannibalistic, just because I feel like this species would have to make it even harder to rear them that it already is. 😂
This is interesting because they were founnd in/ on coming out of dead Oak tree (bark looked like post oak), on pure oak grove, large property too, (Quercus marilandica, Quercus stellata, and Quercus fusiformis) (maybe one other Quercus im forgetting) . No cottonwood or pecan in the general immediate area that im aware of, only huisache and cedar around there, and I know that neighborhood pretty well, been going there all my life and konw my trees.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
When I kept some they would nibble on carrots and dry cat food, but they didn't really take to it (or any other foods).

This is interesting because they were founnd in/ on coming out of dead Oak tree (bark looked like post oak), on pure oak grove, large property too, (Quercus marilandica, Quercus stellata, and Quercus fusiformis) (maybe one other Quercus im forgetting) . No cottonwood or pecan in the general immediate area that im aware of, only huisache and cedar around there, and I know that neighborhood pretty well, been going there all my life and konw my trees.
I've wondered if oak might be another potential host since as you said, there's a lot of it up in those areas.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
When I kept some they would nibble on carrots and dry cat food, but they didn't really take to it (or any other foods).
Well right now I have them temporarily in an open air container on a piece of oak that is from the same tree they were found on, with tons of lichen and fungi on it. Maybe this will meet there food needs to have exactly what they were found on, idk just my hypothesis.
I've wondered if oak might be another potential host since as you said, there's a lot of it up in those areas.
Idk but I’m going to go back next week and scout around and collect more lichen and fungi oak that is kinda pithy in hopes it might be suitable for oviposition, simulating where I found them. I don’t know but the tree I cut is logged out so I can go look to see if there are any larvae in that tree as well, I didn’t think about it till after I left.
18DF8C45-1FC7-4120-A830-8307D57295FF.jpeg

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Interesting, so they may be fungus feeders after all then, not quite particular about tree types... Definitely get some fungus infested wood and lichen and see how they do then, keep the wood humid, but well ventilated, feed fruits and lichen, and see what happens.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting, so they may be fungus feeders after all then, not quite particular about tree types... Definitely get some fungus infested wood and lichen and see how they do then, keep the wood humid, but well ventilated, feed fruits and lichen, and see what happens.
So far thats what Im thinking given what is was found on, the tree was very dead and had been for a long time and had quite a few shelf fungi on it, as well as "infested" with lichen.

I gave it some fruit as well tonight. They have spent part of the afternoon diggin in the substrate as well, disapearinng for couple hours and then popping back up to walk arounnd and climb on the wood. This will just be a big experiement to see what happen, its only as good as guesses right now.

I have no idea how old it is, or how much longer it even has to be expected as far as life span goes. lot of uknowns, but maybe I can learn something for the hobby's sake, I hope I can at least learn something!

Edit. To add have not noticed any feeding behaviors yet.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
So far thats what Im thinking given what is was found on, the tree was very dead and had been for a long time and had quite a few shelf fungi on it, as well as "infested" with lichen.

I gave it some fruit as well tonight. They have spent part of the afternoon diggin in the substrate as well, disapearinng for couple hours and then popping back up to walk arounnd and climb on the wood. This will just be a big experiement to see what happen, its only as good as guesses right now.

I have no idea how old it is, or how much longer it even has to be expected as far as life span goes. lot of uknowns, but maybe I can learn something for the hobby's sake, I hope I can at least learn something!

Edit. To add have not noticed any feeding behaviors yet.
Best of luck, hope you're able to get larvae from them! Would definitely try and collect more for a proper breeding project if I were you, you may just have a single male after all... 😅

Larvae will look something like these:

Larvae-of-Zopheridae-sensu-Slipinski-Lawrence-dorsal-A-C-A-Hyporhagus-sp.png

Worst case scenario you can always send a few to me along with some rotten fungus infested wood and shelf fungi from their habitat and see if I have any luck with them... 😜

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Best of luck, hope you're able to get larvae from them! Would definitely try and collect more for a proper breeding project if I were you, you may just have a single male after all... 😅

Larvae will look something like these:
Worst case scenario you can always send a few to me along with some rotten fungus infested wood and shelf fungi from their habitat and see if I have any luck with them...
Yeah Im going back on tuesday and thursday to try annd collect more of them and look for larvae as well. Im going to set up some pitfall traps, (if I can find some fungi, maybe ill fungi/lichen bait trap the pitfalls) around the cut up tree, and set up a light trap to see if they are attracted to them as well. Haven't heard of any anyone trying to actively attract them, so maybe I can learn a little bit more on them on attraction aspect as well.
If I can collect some for you I will, most definitely!! Maybe we cann get a tag team breeding and rearing project going!
If you send them to @Hisserdude the hobby will be INFESTED with them before long!
If I find a bunch, he'll get some!

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah Im going back on tuesday and thursday to try annd collect more of them and look for larvae as well. Im going to set up some pitfall traps, (if I can find some fungi, maybe ill fungi/lichen bait trap the pitfalls) around the cut up tree, and set up a light trap to see if they are attracted to them as well. Haven't heard of any anyone trying to actively attract them, so maybe I can learn a little bit more on them on attraction aspect as well.
If I can collect some for you I will, most definitely!! Maybe we cann get a tag team breeding and rearing project going!

If I find a bunch, he'll get some!
Think you'll have the best luck searching the outside of the tree, and then striping bark from it to look for the Zopherus, as far as I know they are not attracted to lights, nor do I see them straying far from their food source and being attracted by baited pitfall traps, (though I could be wrong). I'll look more into it and see if I can find any particular methods used for collecting them!

That would be pretty cool, would love to see if we can get them breeding somehow! 😄

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Think you'll have the best luck searching the outside of the tree, and then striping bark from it to look for the Zopherus, as far as I know they are not attracted to lights, nor do I see them straying far from their food source and being attracted by baited pitfall traps, (though I could be wrong). I'll look more into it and see if I can find any particular methods used for collecting them!

That would be pretty cool, would love to see if we can get them breeding somehow! 😄
Yeah thanks for the collection advice! I figure it couldnt hurt to try out some other collection means, I’m going to get out some of my mycology books and maybe make some slides and maybe try and pull some ID’s for the fungi present on that tree. Used to diagnose tree diseases so maybe I can investigate (fungi wise) whether or not they are limited to polypores or basidiomycetes or if their food source includes other families of fungi as well.

project right up my alley I love fungi and mycology and miss dealing with fungi on a regular basis. 😊

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Yeah thanks for the collection advice! I figure it couldnt hurt to try out some other collection means, I’m going to get out some of my mycology books and maybe make some slides and maybe try and pull some ID’s for the fungi present on that tree. Used to diagnose tree diseases so maybe I can investigate (fungi wise) whether or not they are limited to polypores or basidiomycetes or if their food source includes other families of fungi as well.

project right up my alley I love fungi and mycology and miss dealing with fungi on a regular basis. 😊
That'd be cool, let us know if you can ID that fungus for sure! 😁

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Papers I found don't really mention anything about sexing, so I can't help you there unfortunately. Good luck hunting more and with your fungal ID project!