Zoophobas larvae question

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was feeding my G. roseas this morning and I'm pretty sure that I got bitten by one of the super mealworms (zoophobas) as I was taking it out of the container. It didn't break the skin, but I felt a hard pinch on the tip of my finger.

Am I imagining things? I didn't think these guys were biters.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've been feeding them to my box turtle, and I dangle them in front of her so she can grab them with her mouth. I swear they reach up and try to bite my fingers..I wasn't sure if they actually could though.
I know crickets can, so it would not surprise me if they did...ugh, that grosses me out even more!

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Oh yes, the devils definately bite - a very hard pinch, just as you described. One reason why I crush their heads before feeding to my horned frogs - I have heard that they can do some internal damage if they aren't crushed by the frogs jaws well enough. Apparently they don't die right away when they are swallowed whole and can chew up the frogs guts. I have seen them try to bite some of my adult T's as well. The avics seem to know they can bite and always try to grab them by the head first.

Gail

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that you mention it, all three of my G. roseas grabbed them by the heads. The male even spit his out and repositioned for a better bite.

skolopender

Arachnopeon
I never feed my tarantulas these Zophobas as i heard from different sides that they are able to injure the tarantulas and some of them died through the injuries by Zophobas....

I captured them (for my Basiliscus vittatus - they don't hv any problems with the Zophobas) in a plastic-box and over the night they perforated the plastic and came out....

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a dozen at the pet store because they were out of crickets and waxworms, but I don't think I'll use them again. None of my ts were hurt, but I certainly didn't like the bite that I got.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The danger to t's is mainly if the larvae escape into the substrate and attack the T while it's molting.

They have good, chewing mandibles. In the wild, they burrow into rotten logs.

Wade