Zoomed terrarium moss

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
so i justbought myself some terrarium moss from zoomed for a little over 5 USD.i was enticed because it looked still greenish in color,which is what ive been looking for.although,im still not satisfied bcuz I'd really like them to be more greenish in color and give them a more lively look,is there anyway i could get that look from any remedy methods?

I would've bought other types/brands of moss but they're really hard to comeby in my area except the peat moss,it is more of a brownish in color which is what im not looking for.

Also, the store clerk told me that although they are dry,there is still a possibility to revive them as plants?is this true?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
it is possible to revive dry moss, yes. There are often seeds or spores (whatever it's called for moss), so if exposed to a lot of moisture it could grow. However, that depends how was your moss treated.
Moss is great at retaining moisture so it is suitable for species that need lots of it. I wouldn't recommend live moss with more arid species, since the moss needs high humidity to grow.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
So i just soaked the moss overnight,and now it smells ...uh,... Sea-ish? Or maybe pond-ish,i immediately regret my decision,but thats what the instruction on the box indicates,im planning to dry it out in the sun tomorrow,think that'll remove the smell?any other tricks you guys can share to remove the odor?

Also,i was planning to place some on the water dish,instead of decorative stones so that the water dish will look nicer in the terrarium,thoughts?

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
So i just soaked the moss overnight,and now it smells ...uh,... Sea-ish? Or maybe pond-ish,i immediately regret my decision,but thats what the instruction on the box indicates,im planning to dry it out in the sun tomorrow,think that'll remove the smell?any other tricks you guys can share to remove the odor?

Also,i was planning to place some on the water dish,instead of decorative stones so that the water dish will look nicer in the terrarium,thoughts?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I bought some of that moss (if I'm not mistaken) a while back. Came home, did a little research on it, and decided to not use it. Seems few ppl had anything good to say about it.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
Have had limited success getting that zoomed moss to green up and grow. The only moss that has done well is stuff I collected from outside, guess conditions in my home are close enough to outside that the moss will thrive.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A lot of stuff in the pet trade (including some feeder larvae) are imported from other countries. Depending on the country of origin, they may be given a hefty dose of radiation. This will prevent larvae from pupating and spores/seeds from germinating, and this is done to avoid any invasive species taking hold abroad. I have no idea if this moss has been treated, but it might be. And if it is... well, then it will be impossible for you to get anything from it.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Well,i tried soaking it in water,bad idea.it got a funky sea-ish smell.it seems that im better off putting it in the terrarium as is,no treatment whatsoever,thoughts?

Can you guys share the moss you've been using?just the dry and greener looking ones,so ill know what type of moss fits what im looking for.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
I hot glue it onto cork slabs for decoration but that's pretty much all I use it for.
Cool idea!! I might do that on my hides,ive been using styrofoam cups and it doesnt really look well on the enclosure,ur idea might camouflage it a bit,care to share some picts of ur product?i could really use a model. :p

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Cool idea!! I might do that on my hides,ive been using styrofoam cups and it doesnt really look well on the enclosure,ur idea might camouflage it a bit,care to share some picts of ur product?i could really use a model. :p
Leave it dry, pick out a clump of it then hot glue it wherever you want it, just brush off any loose stuff and trim any excess bits you're not happy with, the P. cambridgei one is my most recent so it's the best looking but I can't get a good angle shot of it because of the leaves :banghead:

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dont expect it to grow. Most mosses put in tanks need lots of light and lots of moisture. I have live moss growing in my vivarium but not for my T's. I use them for decor as well. It wi inevitably dry up and turn brown. Well.. more brown.