Zoomed excavator clay for scorpion?

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
Yes, just mix it with clean sand. A little goes a long way, I mixed my setup with over two parts sand to one part clay or less. If you mix to much clay, it will turn very hard and would be hard for the scorpions to burrow thru.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Yes, just mix it with clean sand. A little goes a long way, I mixed my setup with over two parts sand to one part clay or less. If you mix to much clay, it will turn very hard and would be hard for the scorpions to dig in.
Do you have a picture of it?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
If no zoomed excavator clay, can you use the clay like soil from the mountains?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've used it and you need to use a little with a lot of sand or else it gets like cement.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
A
Yea I mix it dry then add water . Once you add the water it will all turn brown . When it dries it starts to look like mine
And the cocofiber that you mention, that's the long brown threadlike hair? Or something. . .

For measuring it, 1 cup of clay and 3 cups of sand?

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Is zoomed excavator clay good for hot/dessert scorpion?
Yes!
It's what most people use, mixed w/h sand, makes an ideal substrate for them to tunnel in.
I've read people using different % of clay/sand mixtures, 25/75 to 50/50, all work. I keep mine simple, 40/60, nothing else added.
Take the DRY sand and clay, mixed well in a bucket, add water until you can form a ball, lightly rolled in your hands. Place the mix into the enclosure and lightly pack it down. Allow it to dry completely, mine took 2 days using a small fan to speed drying time. You can start a hole for them or place a hide along one side, they'll take it from there. DO give them a water dish, I've watched mine drink occassionly.