Zoo Med Clay Substrate?

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did a search on here and found nothing. I was curious if anyone's used this stuff on a desert dwelling T before. I am tempted buy some sort of desert T or something just to use this substrate! It looks so damn fun to make little burrows with! Haha!

http://www.zoomed.com/html/cage_substrates_home.php

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do believe that is geared more toward reptiles, but I guess you could try it with a desert species and see what happens, the second you see wear marks on the undersides of a T or other friction wounds I'd change it out and use peat.

Oh and you posted this thread twice, you might want to go delete the other one. :rolleyes:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm in Arizona and every single place that I've caught wild Aphonopelma's (mostly blondes) the substrate was just as coarse and rough, if not moreso. It sure as hell wasnt no coconut fiber. Idk, I was just thinking it might be worth a shot just to make some neat burrows, or maybe use some of this and put in some soft soil loosely into the burrows to act as a cushion.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like I said try it, see what happens. Some people had great success keeping Ts in more natural setups. Take pictures I am sure everyone will want to see what you do with it.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Indeed. I might be getting another P. Murinus soon and was considering if perhaps, given that they prefer dryer enclosures, would like this substrate. Perhaps some of this stuff with some river rocks formed into a nice deep crevass, to mimic a dry Kenyan scrubland :cool: We'll see, I probably wouldnt risk that, but an aphono might just work.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Zoomed is actually one of our contributors this year for ArachnoCon and I asked for this specific item to be donated towards our door prizes. :D

Debby

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Zoomed is actually one of our contributors this year for ArachnoCon and I asked for this specific item to be donated towards our door prizes. :D

Debby
So then have you used it or know someone that can tell us what they think of the product? I have seen it recently but am a bit skeptic.

Arachnoboards

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
So then have you used it or know someone that can tell us what they think of the product? I have seen it recently but am a bit skeptic.
Nope, sorry, haven't used it yet ourselves, but we are very interested to try it (hence why I tried so hard to get them on board for AC this year). ;)

Guess we'll find out in due time. :)

Debby

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Many many Ts live in sand. others in rocks, many under rocks in sand. I dont see where it wold be a problem. The main problem i see is that we only have a small portion of sand to work wiht and keeping the humidity right will be a bit harder.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw a nice 5 gallon setup with this clay stuff with a nice beefy female Desert Hairy Scorp smack in the burrow. It was nice because you could actually see the creature as it was "hiding".

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm...after seeing this thread i went ahead and orderd a bag...i'll try and get a pic up of a setup with a T on it :)

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know this thread is over a month old but I was wondering if anybody has used this stuff, and if so how is it?
I'm guessing it could only be used for the drier species and not the ones that require more moisture.