zonbonzovi's myriapod photos

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Awe maaaan, why is it still there, she didn't pick it up? I've seen some over go solo.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Awe maaaan, why is it still there, she didn't pick it up? I've seen some over go solo.
He stepped away to coax her back when I took that pic. She came back through but only partially picked it up. Could be good but I'm going to pair them again just in case.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Mystery millipede, Santa Cruz Co., AZ...would love an ID ;) 3-4 in. adult size

Do you still have this millipede? :) I thought it looked like a species of Tylobolus but from that far south, I think it must be a species of Arinolus, probably Arinolus nogalanus.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Erin, no, haven't had that one for some time now. I can't remember for sure but that would have likely come from either Madera Canyon area or Ruby Rd. I have a feeling it was the latter, in a riparian zone. I've never even heard of that genus! I wish I would have kept better records as there are none on bugguide if that's truly what it is.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Erin, no, haven't had that one for some time now. I can't remember for sure but that would have likely come from either Madera Canyon area or Ruby Rd. I have a feeling it was the latter, in a riparian zone. I've never even heard of that genus! I wish I would have kept better records as there are none on bugguide if that's truly what it is.
I compiled spreadsheets of all named species of North American millipede, starting with Hoffman's 1999 Checklist of Millipeds of North and Middle America and updating with papers published after. :)

Arinolus is a genus of Atopetholidae found primarily in Arizona but also in Nevada and California. There are several named species in Pima county and one in Santa Cruz but I think most were based on single specimens. Who knows how many species there are really or their ranges? Someone needs to do a review and update of the genus -- or better the whole family -- as most have only been described in papers prior to 1970!

I love the black-and-silver and black-white-and-gold Atopetholidae millipedes on BugGuide! Oh how I wish I could make a collecting trip through Arizona up through California!

EDIT: I now think that I was mistaken, sorry. It would really help if we had pictures of all these species! I had overlooked that there is one species of Hiltonius that ranges from Mexico to Santa Cruz Co., Arizona. I have never seen an Atopetholid millipede with red banding whereas some species of Hiltonius definitely do.

Last edited: