Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow! Thats one fat poly !!! Sharp pedes Thanks foe shareing

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi,

nice pics.
The mystery one could be Scolopocryptops gracilis (judging by locale), but there are more detail macro pics necessary to be sure.

Regards,
Turgut

Last edited:

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like the Red one!

*thanx* 4 sharing!

How are your Diversipes doin' ?

My girl is ready.....MM en-route.

- Jason

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Turgut- you may be onto something, although this one is much more prevalent than the range would suggest. There is a pic on bugguide.net that Shelley refers to as Scolocryptops spinicaudus that is a dead ringer for the mystery pede: http://bugguide.net/node/view/269187

This one I posted last year: http://s604.photobucket.com/albums/tt127/zonbonzovi/?action=view&current=coastpede2.jpg&newest=1

Found in the right locale(extreme SW Washington), but I've also found it much farther north.

Jason- it ended badly. A very skittish species to say the least. One very brief insertion and the ill-fated decision to co-habitate. Male was dead the next morning. Knowing what you're probably paying for a male, I'd highly suggest chaperoning their dates! Good luck!

peterbourbon

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey,

the article on bugguide implies that Shelley identified this pede as "Scolopocryptops spinicaudus" - but I'm not sure it's correct (cause you need a closer look as you see later on). Judging by a pic is always difficult in Scolopocryptops at least in my opinion.

Most of the Scolopocryptops-species more or less resemble each other in coloration - except S. sexspinosus who has a very remarkable deep red bloody color.

Anyway - it could be spinicaudus as well - we can only find out the difference if you examine your pede in a more detailed way.

1) Take a look at the paramedian sulci on tergites.
As you can see on the pics you should find out if it has complete paramedian sulci on tergites at the more posterior half (or if it lacks complete sulci)
You have to iluminate in a good angle to see them (if there are any):

a) No paramedian sulci

--> 2)

b) Paramedian sulci

--> 4)

2) Take a look at the second segment of the antenna.

a) You can notice dense hairs

--> Scolopocryptops sexspinosus

b) There are no hairs or maybe only a few

--> 3)

3) Scattered hairs on terminal legs. The difference is very hard to notice on those sketches, but if you take a closer look you can see some hairs (look like dots) on the terminal legs (pic 1!):

a) a few hairs on terminal legs

--> Scolopocryptops nigridus

b) no hairs visible

--> Scolopocryptops spinicaudus

4) As Shelley uses taxonomical features that don't really make differences 100% clear (margins on cephalic plate are definitely absent in a), but can be present or absent in b)...furthermore paramedian sulci can start from 2-6 in a) and 2-7 in b) I don't consider those features as "safe")...there is only coloration left:

a) color more yellowish
--> Scolopocryptops peregrinator

b) color orange or reddish
--> 5)

5) Again only a distinction between sexes (doesn't make sense if we don't know the sex of your pede) and paramedian sulci "ranges" (I truly hate that)...location is left in the end:

a) Paramedian sulci on tergites start from 2-3. Distribution: California to Utah, Idaho and environs.
--> Scolopocryptops gracilis

b) Paramedian sulci on tergites start from 3-7. Distribution: Minnesota and Wisconsin to Texas.
--> Scolopocryptops rubiginosus

Key is taken from Shelley's 2002 paper.
Hope this helps a little bit - I know it's hard work, but you have no other choice to be sure.

Regards,
Turgut

Last edited:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Thanks, Turgut. I found the paper after I posted. Unfortunately, the mystery 'pede was mixed in isopods for the terrestrial newt, so...

Fortunately, I've been finding at least 1 a week as well as a ton of Geophilomorpha. I think it's time to stop procrastinating, try out the CO2 & get some positive IDs(not to mention sexing the exotics).

B. dubia is my staple feeder- most of the 'pedes had apparently stopped eating in the winter months & then gorged on the surplus recently. Probably time for a diet;)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Nothin' fancy, just had the rare day off w/ nothing on my plate.

Scolopendra viridis

Scolopendra heros "arizonensis"

(Par?)otostigmus sp. "Hawaii"

Scolopendra polymorpha

Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans(is this correct?), red legged morph

Scolopendra subspinipes de haani "Vietnam"

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Realy nice pedes and great shots! The arizonensis is simply amazing, but i love the otostigmus and the mutilans too. Thanks for sharing :)

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Some new acquisitions:

Scolopendra heros, banded...with friend

Ethmostigmus trigonopodus (before some smart arse comes along to bash me for handling- I have dealt w/ the blue-ringed ETs often and find it easier to photograph these shy creatures as they "nap" in my hand. I def. don't suggest this for the yellow-legged variety. Do what thou whilst.). Note damage on middle tergite...hopefully it molts soon, but doesn't seem to impede the 'pede(rimshot!)

What is the best photo width for this forum...680?

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
Wow nice pedes and pics!!! I love ur collection! May i ask wat sub ur polymorpha is on in the prev post? Looks like mine, a combo of cocopeat + sand. Thanks for sharing, ur ethmostigus looks beautiful and peaceful on ur finger haha! Beautiful heros too!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer

Yep that's a mix of coco, peat & sand(no more than 10%). Holds shape & moisture pretty well w/o stinking or molding over. The ET blue rings are like puppies, frisky & frantic, but ready to settle in once they've gotten exploration out of the way.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
I see, im also using the same sub bought from the plant shop. ET blue rings looks really cute on ur finger.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Oregon Geophilomorph

dried E. trigonopodus

---------- Post added 01-03-2012 at 01:56 PM ----------

One of the ladies, A. gigas:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright!, a little myriapod action. Have you seen the geo eat anything? I caught a real big one here once, about 5 inches, never seen one around here that long, still thin of course. The next day I was going to put it in a small setup but it shriveled, those things really dry out fast.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
I haven't. It's been in a moist vial since we found it in late Sept. I added a few grain mites, springtails, tiny earthworms from another tank & a crushed dubia nymph in the hopes that it would eat & it seems to be doing OK.