zonbonzovi's myriapod photos

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Smoke, I tried keeping them communally a while back and they generally ignore each other (and occasionally can be seen eating together...when you can get them to eat). If I can get a hold of a large group I would love to give it another shot, ideally ending with a reproducing Habitank(C,TM). I read recently that small larvae and annelids are the way to go, just in case you Californians find a large batch of Strigamia...

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found a large pale specimen in central texas that dwarfed the ones I've come across where I live(Austin area). It was between 4 and 5 inches, I've never seen another one but I took a pic of it. I think it would come close to size of those red ones. Could be an undescribed sps., I was out in the boonies when I found that thing.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Smoke, I tried keeping them communally a while back and they generally ignore each other (and occasionally can be seen eating together...when you can get them to eat). If I can get a hold of a large group I would love to give it another shot, ideally ending with a reproducing Habitank(C,TM). I read recently that small larvae and annelids are the way to go, just in case you Californians find a large batch of Strigamia...
How much substrate do you give them?

The one kellakk gave me is accepting termites, so long as i dont freak it out too much.. I just drop them on the lid, and gently push them into a vent hole. :D

Ive been doing this lately to reduce stress, and it works wonders for scorps and pedes. have you tried that?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey I forgot about that thing. But no, that wasn't it, I don't think I posted a pic of that 4-5 inch geo I found. I'll look around in my bucket to see if I put the pic there, I think I did.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Hey I forgot about that thing. But no, that wasn't it, I don't think I posted a pic of that 4-5 inch geo I found. I'll look around in my bucket to see if I put the pic there, I think I did.
zonbonzovi said:
Smoke, I hadn't tried that just springtails, smashed roaches/random yard insects, leftover veggie stuff. They were kept in a semi-moist, large deli with about 6 in. of substrate mixed with leaf/wood decay.
Have you tried a nice plump earthworm? They will tackle a worm much larger and thicker than themselves!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey John, I do remember why I called that doood a "poser". I never explained that in that thread. To me that thing had characteristics of being millipede. Look at the antennae, they are more millipede looking than centipede looking imo. It also has a tiny head like the Polyzoniida you posted. It's the missing link man! haha.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow!, really makes me want to do the saltwater thing! Some creatures in the ocean blow my mind.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Pseduopolydesmus sp. (maybe canadensis?)

w/ friend, Xystocheir dissecta

under UV

Polyxenus sp.

I think this is Sigmoria trimaculata, maybe...

Photobucket is making me gnash teeth :(

Last edited:

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Pseduopolydesmus sp. (maybe canadensis?)

w/ friend, Xystocheir dissecta

under UV

Polyxenus sp.

I think this is Sigmoria trimaculata, maybe...

Photobucket is making me gnash teeth :(
Nice pedes! Would you happen to know the care requirements of the Polyxenus sp?

numbat1000

Arachnosquire
Oh, those are some beautiful pedes! Always wanted an Alipes multicostis, where did you get it? And how big is it?

Is the one with blue legs a mirabilis as well?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That Alipes looks awesome. I kind of wanted some of those but I'm stuffed over here, I honestly don't want anything else right now. I hoard babies so I'm going to have to dump some stuff sooner or later, kick them out of the house.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Sorry, Lee, last two. The other showed up mangled and stinky. I hope the rest that came in to the states make it to adulthood so more can be made.

Galap, they are supposed to be larger than grandieri. I'm sure you could have shifted a few containers ;)

Hisser...they came as a sample from a friend. I know they specialize on some sort of lichen/mold/fungus but they disappeared into a communal tank before I could work out the details.

numbat, yes.