Zilla Jungle Mix for millipedes

pastel351

Arachnopeon
I got a pair of Mardonius millipedes a few weeks ago and for the first week I had them I used a substrate of Zilla Jungle Mix and sphagnum moss until the Josh’s Frogs Milli Mix that ordered online arrived. I just found out that the fir in Zilla Jungle Mix could be bad for millipedes. If so, how concerned should I be about the week they spent in that substrate? Is fir toxic to them, or is it just not very nutritious? Any advice would be appreciated.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Fir in large amounts can be toxic, but I don't think the small amount contained in the Zilla substrate would harm them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pastel351

Arachnopeon
Fir in large amounts can be toxic, but I don't think the small amount contained in the Zilla substrate would harm them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Sorry, one other question. I didn’t exactly go out of my way to clean every trace of the Zilla Jungle Mix when I replaced it, I just sorta dumped it out. There’s still a bit in there At the very bottom. Do you think I need to replace the substrate again and this time scrub the tank clean, or will they probably be fine? Thanks.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Considering many millipede species actually live in areas with lots of pines and firs growing nearby, I don't think that the small amount contained in the substrate at the bottom will do much, if any, harm. It's your call though. I've done things that in retrospect may not have been necessary just to be absolutely sure I wasn't endangering my animals.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

pastel351

Arachnopeon
Considering many millipede species actually live in areas with lots of pines and firs growing nearby, I don't think that the small amount contained in the substrate at the bottom will do much, if any, harm. It's your call though. I've done things that in retrospect may not have been necessary just to be absolutely sure I wasn't endangering my animals.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah see I also asked around in a couple Facebook groups about this, and most people said something similar to you. But then an admin in one of them was all like “ANY FIR AT ALL IN THE TANK WILL KILL THEM!” and that kinda freaked me out. I really don’t wanna drop another thirty bucks on another bag of substrate, but I have a tendency to be a hypochondriac when it comes to my pets. Thank you!