Zeeboo, my Short Tailed Opossum.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's been a while since I last took pictures of my little STO Zeeboo, so I decided that I'd go ahead and do a few now. She recently built up another burrow outside of her initial one (which is inside her hide) and I figured this would be the perfect time to snap some shots of her.

She's easily amongst the coolest of pets I've owned, and I can safely say she's one of my favorites! I'll get some full body shot when she's out and about the next time. I just didn't want to dig her up out of her snug little den.

The pics were all flipped "horizontally" when I edited them, but for some reason, when uploading them to photobucket the ones that were "vertical" were made that way again. Sorry about that.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CUTE!!! Looks like elephant shrew, chinchilla and hampster combined! Hehehe!!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
EEEE!!! I used to have a STO named Nougat I bought back in 2000. I miss him so, they're awesome!!! Pics make me want one again, lol. Is she a lighter color than the standard? My boy used to be really dark brown in color, it's been a while so I'm guessing there's probably color mutations out there by now?

STO's really are one of my favorite little exotics.. We're waiting until next spring for a baby prairie dog, but I may wind up sneaking a STO into the house again if they have one there instead, lol.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi folks!

Thanks for the kind words! I absolutely love this little one. She's so cool!

Hey pouchedrat, I'm pretty sure there are a few different morphs around where these guys are concerned, but I'm not too sure how many.

The place where I purchased her had a few more babies, and they were all very dark in color. Zeeboo is a very light gray / silver and she's got a really nice brown tint to her underside.

I really like how she looks!

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks alot! She's definitely a sweet heart!

Thanks for looking :)

jcornish86

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i really want one but with 3 tegus, pacman frog, 2 dogs and over 7 tarantulas now i just cant justify geting another pet.

TheAssyrian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
STO are adorable, what is general care for these?

And is it easy or demanding?

Curious because I have considered many different mammalian exotics over time including STOs.

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Adorable! I love that shot with her mouth open!
One of the down-sides of living in California is that I miss out on the opportunity to care for some of the most interesting critters!

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Glad you guys enjoyed the pics :)!

As far as whether or not they're demanding care wise, not really to tell you the truth. Just make sure you offer them a pretty good variety where the foods concerned and then it'll be up to them to decide what they like and what they don't.

I keep her in a 20 Gallon Tall aquarium, and she does just great in it. For her substrate I went with Carefresh bedding and haven't had any issues with it. I decided to go with a more natural look when it came to her setup. These guys seem to be great climbers so I gaver her a few nice sized pieces of driftwood / sand blasted grapevine and she's all over them. Uses them all the time actually. I opted not to go with the "hamster / gerbil" type setup just because I wanted her to be in something that was more decorative I guess.

I've seen some websites that have people using wood shavings for the substrate, but I really didn't feel like going that route as I've heard they can be toxic to quite a few other animals out there.

I keep her temp right around 77 - 80 degrees, and that's pretty easy to maintain in the room she's in. It happens to be the same room with my other exotics and theres plenty of heat going to them to keep her warm.

I change her water at least every other day as well. As far as food goes, I leave the kibble in her enclosure 24/7 and offer her crickets once a week. On the week that she gets her pinkie I don't offer bugs at all.

Hope that helps!

Thanks again for all the nice comments folks! She is pretty rad!

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been curious about these as well.
Do they have much odour?
I love the name btw

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Haha, I definitely dig her name as well :)

As far as whether they stink or not, I can honestly say that her odor isn't anything really noticable. I've read some people have had some pretty smell ones, but I don't have that problem with Zeeboo.