Yup...This is a question about a Rose Hair

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone,

This is Rose. She was originally my sister's and the reason I got into the hobby. If you don't know the story already. I had Arachnophobia and my sister bought this spider on an impulse to furnish her new apartment. Holding this spider, curiousity over came my fears and now I have a decent collection. My sister left her in my possession when she moved to California to escape her circle of friends so she can attempt a "clean life" without the breaking bad lifestyle temptations.

So here is the question... What in the world is she? Is she a true g.rosea, porteri, or just some colormorph? I have a had multiple issues breeding her. She has molted on me every time she has been bred. She loves to burrow and molts at least once a year without any noticable growth. She got that long booty, never gets too plump when she has been over fed. I posted several pictures in hope you can all help identify this mystery spider I had for almost 7 years.

Thanks everyone.

The photos have been uploaded to an imgur gallery located here:

Is this a rosea? https://imgur.com/gallery/b1Jkd

If anyone needs better pictures, let me know. @Exoskeleton Invertebrates this is the Rose hair I have been talking about

Attachments

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Looks like a porteri. Could you get a better pic? If it has a reflective, pink carapace, I'd be willing to bet that it is indeed a porteri.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Please don't breed them if you don't know the species.
This was about 3-4 years last time I attempted. Back then people just told me it was a colormorph. I haven't attempted since. I want to get a conclusive answer so I can attempt again

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This was about 3-4 years last time I attempted. Back then people just told me it was a colormorph. I haven't attempted since. I want to get a conclusive answer so I can attempt again
She's not your regular common Grammostola porteri, bring her down to my place next time you come over. I have a few of that species myself.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
She's not a G rosea. Looks 100% G porteri to me. Here's a pic of my female. Very similar. I think in the right light, they really pretty up.

Attachments

Paiige

Arachnobaron
IMO she doesn't look like a G. porteri. Slightly different shapes, different coloring on the carapace and first segment of the legs, and my porteri's abdomen doesn't get long, it gets FAT. She also doesn't burrow, though that can be a matter of personal preference

Kellie

Arachnopeon
i adopted mine off of craigslist, and had no clue what kind of t she is, so i was mad googling for a while. mine has very similar coloring. is it possible that she is a g porteri instead of a rosie as i previously concluded? I've only had her 4 months, and her age is a mystery to me. she molted about a month or so ago, sideways, when i wasn't home. she has that whole reflective pink thing going on as well.

Attachments

jaycied

Arachnoknight
You're never going to get a conclusive answer on tarantula identification, especially over the internet. Please please please do not breed her. Don't taint the hobby with any more hybids. Just be happy with your pet.
If you do want to breed, start with something that is sold by a reputable tarantula breeder.
I have an Avicularia that I call 'sp. Pet Store' because I'll never know her species.

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
Sorry, I feel like a jerk correcting what was clearly a typo; but I want to make sure that new people don't misinterpret your good advice, @jaycied. :kiss::kiss:

If you do want to breed, start with something that is sold by a REPUTABLE** tarantula breeder.