Yunnan Goliath Pede - S. s. subsnipes?

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
Hi Guys,

We just received a few of these big pedes from Yunnan province. Not sure what they are but they look like what we call Scolopendra subsnipes subsnipes. :? Never got them this big before though, maybe from a lightly collected area. At the moment we're calling them "Yunnan Goliath Red Centipede".

Will try and post a pic with a ruler later if i can get it to cooperate! :cool:

Sam
Zoological Connections

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow, sure is a chunky looking pede, definitely looks like a subspinipes to me, post another pic next to a ruler as mobiles can be very small & misleading, I look forward to seeing more updates on this.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:drool: :clap: yes! definitly more pics,wow awesome,could be suspinipies sp.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
anymore precise location?eg, mountain name, altitude, as far as i know that province is about 400 thousand square kilometer big.....

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Sam,

Any chance for a clear picture of the terminal legs and their underside? :)

Zhaoermia118

Arachnopeon
Here is another pic.

We received these from a collector that comes form Yunnan province so we assume its from there, it could be from a neighboring province, it could be from Nepal, Burma who knows. I don't ask too many questions because few people would tell you where they actually got the animals from and if they sensed you were trying to get to threaten their livelihood, they'd never sell to you again. All he said was that they were from Yunnan province. So with this information we'll just call it that for now.

ChineseDragon

Arachnopeon
little short fat pede ...seems aweful bulky to be only 6" ...
If it was laying straightened out it would be around 7.5 to 8 inches I believe. Doesn't look too fat to me, from my 1st impression I would say that's a nice looking Scolo =D!

~mark
Chinese Dragon

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looks like a chinese giant(Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani)

maybe chinese calls it as "red dragon"

absolutely subspinipes.. but dehaani, subspecies of subspinipes..

take a close picture for its terminal legs underneath the prefemor of ventral side.

it's the most correct way to ID a species between Ss. subspinipes and Ss. dehaani.

take care..