Yummy Tarantulas

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would hate to be the one who had the job of defanging them... one by one by one......... by one......

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and they try to blame the pet trade for exporting to many. at least they wont be fried up for dinner.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hot and Crispy huh? I'm so hungry I'd actually try one! But I'm all about exotics foods!

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Repost, to a major degree.
I'm fully aware that most everyone here realizes that people in Southeast Asia eat tarantulas...what I'm doing here is trying to share this good video. Plus, I searched the forum and couldn't find a match.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I havent watched the vid coz it makes me feel bit weird... I saw it on tv once though... they're Haplopelma minax or Haplopelma albostriatum. When i bought my albostriatum its labelled common name was "Thailand Edible Tarantula"
They catch hundreds, defang them all and fry them in hot oil.. a local delicacy i believe... I own a big minax female.. hard to think she could be being eaten by some Thai =S

Like us in england eatin animals tho.. altho.. can't really c there bein much meat on a spider?!?!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I'd try one.

Not much meat no, but there are plenty more examples of delicacies with less substance on them.

-Sean

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
where are the PETA activists on this one? de-fanging seems pretty damn cruel to me.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's like anything thats a countries way of doin things though... (not wishing to offend anyone who is religious..) But its like kosher meat and how the animals are killed. Coz as far as i know, the animals aren't allowed to be stunned b4 they have their throats cut, for religious reasons. Guess its the same kinda thing there...I'd much rather have them alive and in my bedroom in DEEP tanks though :D Or even better.. safe in the wild.
I believe the ones in that video (its the same one i have seen on tv) are Haplopelma minax.

Amazing though... if you look.. all them spiders in that box.. hundreds of them... yet when the people pick them out.. not one tries to threat posture.... poor lil things.. too terrified :(

Here's my big girly... shes my pride and joy coz i saved her from near death :D

She's not the happiest of spiders!

They also eat H. albostriatums......

Another one of my favs in my collection.. shes beautiful...

Can't imagine me sinking my teeth into either of them =S

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know this happens, but still... poor things...

okay, i sound like a little girl but, whatever. i guess it's juist teh same as chicken, or fish. that would be so cool to just lie down in that basket thing and have them crawl all over you. i'll bet that feels so stinking cool!!

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know this happens, but still... poor things...

that would be so cool to just lie down in that basket thing and have them crawl all over you. i'll bet that feels so stinking cool!!
until they attack your face

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ew... that counts as an attack, i guess. which type of t is it that shoots it's poo? I know there isone known for doing taht...

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ew... that counts as an attack, i guess. which type of t is it that shoots it's poo? I know there isone known for doing taht...
any T can shoot projectile poop. it's just as big a warning sign as getting flicked with hairs or the T rearing up.