Youtube Video

BelfastScorpion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just found the following video at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7evHbgNBo

There is a second part to it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiku4aUwZAk

I can't believe this guy snipped the scorpions aculeus off :eek: . He advised people to do this so they could be kept safely as pets and then kids could handle them etc. I really disagree with cutting off a scorps stinger. What does anyone else think? I'm sure the way he is handling them is also causing extreme stress to the scorps and the fact that their aculeus has been cut off is probably very painful for them. Emperor's are generally safe anyway without having to do that!

BelfastScorpion.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I say that he's an idiot. If an animal bites or stings, a child shouldn't even hold them in the first place let alone an adult if the venom is potent. I find this disgraceful to the hobby.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow, that guy is an idiot. Just like stated earlier. emps rarely sting. Why would you go and cut their stingers off? He has issues. There is a reason why they were made with them. I don't understand how someone can do something like that. Then he goes saying how little kids can have em. Wow.:mad:

Oh and his mother showing him for love of animals... BS, if you love them you don't remove anything from them that came naturally.

Haha, the stretch marks means its a female.

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's just WRONG i have posted a comment which i hope he reads.

Dorcus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That disgusts me.... nothing more to say other than that.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This guy needs a dog, not a scorpion. u don't pet and play with scorps, they are not puppies. he seems to really like them tho and care for them i will give him that.. but he really needs to be informed about them more. there not reptiles.

polphot

Arachnopeon
what if, we just keep that guy as a pet and cut off his arms?!?! :evil: That guy doesnt even deserve a mice for a pet. I say he should be castrated LOL!

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The guys definately seems a little bit on the 'weirld old codger' side of things.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think it's time for as many members of AB to post nasty, and informative.... but mostly nasty :evil:, comments and let anyone who watches that know that that is unnacceptable treatment of these animals. I could be wrong but I don't think he has done much homework on keeping scorpions.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's not like we don't alter the appearance of other animails. Frankly, I have less of a problem with someone clipping off the end of an aculeus than croping ears and tails on dogs.

By the way, snipping the aculeus isn't painful when performed correctly. The tip of the stinger is actually made up of rare metals and is actually quite hard, recall him saying "a very small amount". ..but it can be done wrong.

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, it's not like we don't alter the appearance of other animails. Frankly, I have less of a problem with someone clipping off the end of an aculeus than croping ears and tails on dogs.
You don't even want to get me started on that kind of thing ;)

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You don't even want to get me started on that kind of thing ;)
Me either. :) I have a lot of controversial views on life but doing stuff like that for our own asthetic purpose is ridiclous. As in the case of the scorpion, I personally find it unecessary because I don't keep my species as pets, but if someone belives it's safer, thats there perogative. My gripe with the video is A) The guy is creepy and the video is pointless in origin. B) As said before, theres no reason for a 50 year old man to clip an emperors stinger. C) It sets an extremely poor example, people would be dumb enough to go find a scorpion, clip it's stinger and assume it's safe, handle it, etc. ..which isn't always the case. They should just change the name of the website to Itube.... "Idiot tube" which would be much more accurate overall, lol.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't agree with altering the appearance of an animal. Declawing cats, nope. Cropping tail, nope. Have you actually seen that surgery? I observe surgeries at a vet clinic and they were cropping tails on a litter of boxer pups. That's the only time I've ever felt faint watching a surgery. The pups are too young for any kind of anesthetic and they scream. Granted that their nerve endings aren't quite developed and they stop crying within the hour but still...ew...

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with ED, when he said "it's owners prerogatived" and 'xVOWx' when he said "don't get me started". Because it is a very POOR owner who would alter an animal so that he feels safe to hold it, if you don't feel safe don't handle it (especially since they SHOULDN'T be handled in the first place). I personally like everything 100% as it was from the womb I wouldn't own it if it needed to be altered. (I guess I got started).

Just a note; all the traffic it will get from this post will drive it's Views way up, so why don't any who would be disposed to do so rate the Vid as poor 1 star.

Thaedion

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a note; all the traffic it will get from this post will drive it's Views way up, so why don't any who would be disposed to do so rate the Vid as poor 1 star.

Thaedion
way ahead of you there