Yourfavourite true genus!

Veles

Arachnobaron
I made this thread because i wanted to hear from the forum members what are thair favourite spider genuses?You can post some info about them or even add some pictures and videos if you want.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I made this thread because i wanted to hear from the forum members what are thair favourite spider genuses?
That's a tough call. In terms of hunting behavior, nothing beats jumping spiders (Salticidae). They see well and even seem to be curious about everything around them. The only thing I don't like about them is that, like most true spiders, they don't live that long.

A gravid Phidippus otiosus that I rescued from a spiderweb on my porch:

The web dwellers I enjoy keeping most are crevice weavers (family Filistatidae, genus Kukulcania). Unlike most true spiders, the females continue molting as adults (like tarantulas), and they are unusually long-lived, living 10 years or longer.

Grey Lady, one of my female Kukulcania hibernalis:

A genus I enjoy observing in the wild is Nephila (golden silk orbweavers). Their webs are huge, and their silk is amazingly strong, but they are gentle giants if you're not a bug.

Nephila clavipes is native to my area:

Veles

Arachnobaron
That's a tough call. In terms of hunting behavior, nothing beats jumping spiders (Salticidae). They see well and even seem to be curious about everything around them. The only thing I don't like about them is that, like most true spiders, they don't live that long.

A gravid Phidippus otiosus that I rescued from a spiderweb on my porch:

The web dwellers I enjoy keeping most are crevice weavers (family Filistatidae, genus Kukulcania). Unlike most true spiders, the females continue molting as adults (like tarantulas), and they are unusually long-lived, living 10 years or longer.

Grey Lady, one of my female Kukulcania hibernalis:

A genus I enjoy observing in the wild is Nephila (golden silk orbweavers). Their webs are huge, and their silk is amazingly strong, but they are gentle giants if you're not a bug.

Nephila clavipes is native to my area:
P.otiosus is just so cute,nephila looks beautiful but i do not really find K.hibernalis to be super interesting(do not get me wrong i love all spiders i just have my favourites).My favourite family would be Gnaphosoidea.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Sicarius are really great. Their hunting is really cool and, like kukulcania, they can live an exceptionally long time.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Do you by any chance keep Sicariuses?
I do not. I still spend a significant amount of time in a house with small children, so I think that would be pretty irresponsible. But I plan to as soon as I can.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Portia is one of the most astounding spiders I've ever come across, for being such a tiny jumping spider, and having the ability to take out an orb weaver - wow.

Last edited:

Veles

Arachnobaron
I do not. I still spend a significant amount of time in a house with small children, so I think that would be pretty irresponsible. But I plan to as soon as I can.
Thats great man,wish you luck when you buy them.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I couldn't pick. I keep 9 true spiders and they're all phenomenal.

Sicarius terrosus
2 x Macrothele gigas
2 x Gandanameno sp
Phidippus regius
Hyllus diardi
Cyclocosmia ricketti
Heteropoda lunula.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Absolutely love Sparassidae. Heteropoda mainly, but I like them all. Google pics of H lunula, on par with Poecilotheria metallica IMO.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Absolutely love Sparassidae. Heteropoda mainly, but I like them all. Google pics of H lunula, on par with Poecilotheria metallica IMO.
I have few Pisauridae species living in my garden and they are truly beautiful and graceful spiders,but they get eaten all the time by S.blackwallis that live on my porch.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Barylestis Scutatus (Cameroon Crab Spider) is another stunning looking true spider, on par with any sp. especially colour wise, as for feeding they're formidable as well.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I have few Pisauridae species living in my garden and they are truly beautiful and graceful spiders,but they get eaten all the time by S.blackwallis that live on my porch.
These posts are so cool, sometimes I wish I could go out onto our front porch and find exotic sp. like you guys in the States and Australia, alas Scotland has very few exotic sp. (None in fact). :bored::bored::bored: