Your shipping tips

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read a post recently (within 6 months) that said fed ex is the only courier service that allows animals to be shipped and they must be O/N
This is what I know to be true as well.

If Euler's friend said it's OK, well that's not sufficient. We need verification from an official site/source etc. If the link I posted is OLD and there is a new one, then great! Euler's friend needs to point us to it or provide him with the proper printed Federal document.

In the mean time here's a good petition to sign.

http://tarantula-shipping.rallycongress.com/

http://tarantula-shipping.rallycongress.com/2714/shipping-tarantulas-usps/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I feel really bad for derailing Eulers thread..

Back on topic... Don't forget to pack the T in the box before you tape it up! ( unfortunately I have done this)
Same, but we don't want someone to read this and end up with fines and legal problems either.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Thread closed in 3... 2... ;)

Shipping inverts is like Fight Club.
Rule #1 of shipping inverts - you do not talk about shipping inverts!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thread closed in 3... 2... ;)

Shipping inverts is like Fight Club.
Rule #1 of shipping inverts - you do not talk about shipping inverts!
No way to talk about shipping tips without talking about shipping.. IMO like everything in this hobby it should be done legally or not at all..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No way to talk about shipping tips without talking about shipping.. IMO like everything in this hobby it should be done legally or not at all..
I can only speak for what I've received. I've never ordered tarantulas from a breeder/dealer and not had them come through USPS.

symbol

Arachnopeon
Interesting that you can ship via FedEx in the States, but apparently can't (or may not be technically allowed to) ship via USPS. It seems to be the opposite here in Canada.

I got my Ts shipped O/N via Canada Post ($17). I had initially asked about using FedEx instead though since Canada Post was on the verge of striking when I placed my order. Was told that FedEx was a no go and, upon checking their official policies, found that they have a specific "no arachnids" rule as well as a "no venomous animals" rule. So tarantulas are extra out of bounds. But apparently only with FedEx Canada. Very strange.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I can only speak for what I've received. I've never ordered tarantulas from a breeder/dealer and not had them come through USPS.
I don't know anything about that.. Not my concern..
I know that I try my best to play by the rules.. Like I said too pretty for jail..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting that you can ship via FedEx in the States, but apparently can't (or may not be technically allowed to) ship via USPS.
Esp since FedEx contracts out to the USPS if I recall to ship some of their packages on the USPS planes.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You haven't ordered from Swifts Inverts, Arachnoiden or Heartland Invertebrates

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You haven't ordered from Swifts Inverts, Arachnoiden or Heartland Invertebrates
No I have not :D Due to the subject of this thread I won't say who I've ordered from, but I'm not talking about small-time dealers here.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No I have not :D Due to the subject of this thread I won't say who I've ordered from, but I'm not talking about small-time dealers here.
*Scratch that* On second thought yes back to tips @viper69..

Wasn't anything bad @EulersK just a funny analogy.. I think viper is right probably best to get back to your original topic..

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Back to tips?
A bag of ice wrapped in plenty of cloth works just as well as a proper freezer pack in case of an emergency.

Go to a Staples any Saturday night and ask for their old ad. You'll have hundreds of newspapers for packing.

When shipping roaches, pack them with food in the container. Keeps them from cannibalizing. I learned that one the hard way.

magicmed

Arachnobaron
Make sure to offer a cricket to the goddess so that she may grant the T's safe travel,

Also, probably already been mentioned, and I haven't tried shipping yet, but I have found the soda bottle and paintbrush method great for rehousing, probably works well for shipping as wel.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Whoa! How have I not heard of this? Bravo, sir. I'll certainly be using this.
It makes it nice because it cant leak if it thaws out even if the baggie gets a hole and its virtually select a size