Your shipping tips

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Every so often, I like to make threads with the sole purpose of archival information. We preach the search function, so why not actively contribute to it?

For this, put down your shipping tips. Packaging, companies to use, container options, cold/heat packs, cushioning, LAG advice, so on and so on. Whatever you think will be useful. Do not discuss brown boxing or anything of the sort - we want to keep this thread open.

For those that have been shipping overnight for quite some time, my tip may come as no surprise. I have found that through USPS's "Click and ship" option (where you print off the tag yourself at home) does not take into account the size of the box, only the weight. Note that they do care if any dimension of the box exceeds 12", which is obviously quite large. This is great, because the price raises exponentially with size if you take it into the post office. Why is this such a big deal? It allows you to have an enormous box to make room for insulation, cold packs, multiple inverts, you name it. For a long time I was struggling to fit shipments into tiny boxes to keep the cost down, often sacrificing insulation to do so. No need for that by using this feature.

In terms of a container for the tarantula, I've also grown fond of coffee cans (obviously thoroughly rinsed out). They can't be crushed, they insulate to a degree, and I personally always have them on hand.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Think about the T first shipping costs last..
O/N through fedex is the best option IMO.

Don't skimp on the bubble wrap!!!

Watch temps in the regions that your Ts will be crossing.. Not just your temps and the buyers temps..

Tape or rubber band the lid to the container that the T is in so that it can't pop off if the box is abused.. Electric tape works best you can stretch it out and run it along the rim of the lid securing it to the container...

Triple check the shipping address..

Make sure to clearly mark all sides and the top of the box with the words fragile, an arrow pointing up and keep from extreme temps..

When you fold down the first 2 flaps on the box tape them! Its just an extra step that can save your Ts from spilling out if the tape on the outside fails or gets ripped off.

Never put tape over any barcodes on the shipping label.. The glare can make it impossible for the laser scanner to read..

(insider tip) Remeber that whenever you put the words live animal on your box it's an open invitation to any sadist in the facility to spin and shake the box to make the critter dizzy so make sure your packing is top notch! * I really wish I had my wink emoji*

Last edited:

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
The best general tip I have would be to not save on packing material. Sure delicups and such are cheap but they offer little to no protection and also styrofoam boxes aren't that expensive. I never used overnight and I think ít's not necesarry if the climate is right. If you pack your Ts like you are supposed to they will have no problem with 3-4 days of transit.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The best general tip I have would be to not save on packing material. Sure delicups and such are cheap but they offer little to no protection and also styrofoam boxes aren't that expensive. I never used overnight and I think ít's not necesarry if the climate is right. If you pack your Ts like you are supposed to they will have no problem with 3-4 days of transit.
I agree to a large extent that most Ts can survive 3-4 days no problem in a well packed box in almost any weather.. Thats not the biggest problem..
It's the monkeys in the facility kicking your box of Ts from sorting belt to sorting belt and delivery truck to delivery truck like it's a soccer ball...

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Think about the T first shipping costs last..
O/N through fedex is the best option IMO.

Don't skimp on the bubble wrap!!!

Watch temps in the regions that your Ts will be crossing.. Not just your temps and the buyers temps..

Tape or rubber band the lid to the container that the T is in so that it can't pop off if the box is abused.. Electric tape works best you can stretch it out and run it along the rim of the lid securing it to the container...

Triple check the shipping address..

Make sure to clearly mark all sides and the top of the box with the words fragile, an arrow pointing up and keep from extreme temps..

When you fold down the first 2 flaps on the box tape them! Its just an extra step that can save your Ts from spilling out if the tape on the outside fails or gets ripped off.

Never put tape over any barcodes on the shipping label.. The glare can make it impossible for the laser scanner to read..

(insider tip) Remeber that whenever you put the words live animal on your box it's an open invitation to any sadist in the facility to spin and shake the box to make the critter dizzy so make sure your packing is top notch! * I really wish I had my wink emoji*

I'm not sure of this is just at airports or not but usually anything labeled 'fragile" is treated worse than if it didn't have the word on it at all.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
I agree to a large extent that most Ts can survive 3-4 days no problem in a well packed box in almost any weather.. Thats not the biggest problem..
It's the monkeys in the facility kicking your box of Ts from sorting belt to sorting belt and delivery truck to delivery truck like it's a soccer ball...
That's why I say to use good packing materials. Sure they can't protect from 100% of the impact but having a tight packed box with styrofoam around it will defenetly help with that. And what do you expect from somebody who's getting paid 8 bucks an hour and is probably not the smartest of the bunch?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure of this is just at airports or not but usually anything labeled 'fragile" is treated worse than if it didn't have the word on it at all.
Depends on the level of frustration at the hub that day.. Lol.. I know if it is marked fragile some people will treat it accordingly.. If not anything goes no matter what!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That's why I say to use good packing materials. Sure they can't protect from 100% of the impact but having a tight packed box with styrofoam around it will defenetly help with that. And what do you expect from somebody who's getting paid 8 bucks an hour and is probably not the smartest of the bunch?
Agreed.. My point is that if you ship O/N its in the danger zone for only a short time.. If it's shipped 3-4 day your package is being exposed to 9 shifts of hostile package handlers...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Depends on the level of frustration at the hub that day.. Lol.. I know if it is marked fragile some people will treat it accordingly.. If not anything goes no matter what!
Yeah, a buddy of mine works at a USPS sorting facility. He's told me to never label anything fragile - they're treated far worse than any other package.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Yeah, a buddy of mine works at a USPS sorting facility. He's told me to never label anything fragile - they're treated far worse than any other package.
Is it legal to ship Ts usps now? Like I said depends on the person.. I know that some people respect handing instructuons.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
WHOA, when did this happen?
Right! I had asked Eulers because he mentioned that he had a friend that worked there I figured maybe he would have a definitive answer...

I have heard yes when I call and no when I get there.. Yes as long as they aren't lethal (Lol) To no under any circumstance..
I read a post recently (within 6 months) that said fed ex is the only courier service that allows animals to be shipped and they must be O/N..
I have been useing fed ed ex to stay within the law... I'm too pretty for jail..

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Awesome it's something that for some reason is always in debate.. Fedex is expensive!

@EulersK never mind..Lol

It's the same as fed ex I think but the overnight
WHOA, when did this happen? I believe this information is wrong.

See below

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c5_008.htm#ep203359
I shipped my Ts on the week of the 7th, this month and before I did I asked and they said it's legal as long as its shipped overnight.

It cost me $46.....
As a matter fact when I did I had a full blown conversation about them while the clerk made the packing slip lol

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

I shipped my Ts on the week of the 7th, this month and before I did I asked and they said it's legal as long as its shipped overnight.

It cost me $46.....
This is interesting. Objectively speaking, the person you spoke to may not be fully informed on the law (assuming it hasn't changed). That's second hand info and thus is suspect. We need source material on a Fed website indicating it is legal.

14pokies

Arachnoprince

It cost me $46.....
I don't doubt you at all but unless something has changed recently I think its a No no.. Check out post #14 +15..