your opinion on size....

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big would you say this is, without actually picking it up and holding a ruler to it?:?

I am guestamating and saying around three inches, what do you say?....going by the battery.

Attachments

Last edited:

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Between 3 and 3.5" would be my estimate.

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wassat?

What is that spider? Indian ornamental is what it looks like. Don't blame you for not wanting to take it's inside leg measurement:}

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
That is a 3.75 inch Poecilotheria rufilata.

Bill

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
a comment you guys made me wonder....

where exactly should you measure a T to determine it's size? thanks! :D

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think it all depends on who's doin' the measuring. Standard is to measure with a relaxed (?) tarantula, from leg I to leg IV, on any side.
As long as you're in the ballpark, most hobbyists generally know how big the thing is.
I say "relaxed", 'cause something like an adult female Poecilotheria rufilata, in their typical "hide-n-seek" flattened out position, could be like 10" or more. I doubt I'd ever see a Theraphosa sp. stretched out like that.
If someone is selling and advertising a 5" brown hairy spider, the buyer may get it and interpret it as a 4". So, that all depends on who's selling too. Like I said, if it's in the ballpark...
john

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
measuring tip for ya....

If that container is the 4 inch square beanie baby box I think it is then I would go 3 inches on the spider. Also a tip for you when measuring fast stuff like that. Once in the container such as in the pic you can easily lay the container on top of a ruler and get a pretty accurate measurement of the spider. Seems rather obvious I know but sometimes it's easy to overlook something simple like that. :) Also I tend to lean towards Larizs thinking in that I try to measure them relaxed instead of trying to get them stretched to the max since they don't stay that way often anyway.

Phil

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
you know...i'm not sure exactly how muich this would be needed/helpful, but there's a snake measurer you can download online.

for snakes it is IMMENSELY helpful. :) you basically stretch out the snake as much as you can and take a picture from above with a ruler somewhere in the picture.

then, you measure the ruler first with the software (in the picture, you open it inside the program), tell it what length that is, and then bit by bit measure the snake. it does a continuing connect the dots type measurement. it is amazingly fantastic.

just a thought, though it seems a lot of work for a T. completely worth it however when dealing with curving snakies. :)

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is a beanie box, the reason Im asking is that I sent him away for a swap, he appearently "died" on the way, it happens , but now the person is trying to tell me that the same t in the pic is 6" and matured, male, I have quite the few pics, at least fourteen from trying to sex it, you all might remember the thread.....
if it had hooked out, I would have known it was male
it is in no way near 6"

oh, and the way I packed it..
two small heat packs(10hr ones) was chilly up here, warm down there, hense the small ones, t was in a deli cup, paper towels with a moisted paper towel on top, hes stating that I may not have put enough moisture in it, plenty of paper and such for the ride down, un-insulated box, priority mail.

what do you guys think of the situation?:?

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
mebebraz--you're an expert packer. and there's no way that spider is six inches.

do you need me to beat someone up? and shall i beat them up in mud wearing a bikini? i'll do it, you know....

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
and shall i beat them up in mud wearing a bikini? i'll do it, you know....
please do that for me!!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by mebebraz
It is a beanie box, the reason Im asking is that I sent him away for a swap, he appearently "died" on the way, it happens , but now the person is trying to tell me that the same t in the pic is 6" and matured, male, I have quite the few pics, at least fourteen from trying to sex it, you all might remember the thread.....
if it had hooked out, I would have known it was male
it is in no way near 6"

Wasn't this one sold as Male? This is the one I wanted to buy from you until I found we decided it was probably male. Some people tend to overexxagerate size a bit, but is it possible it molted during shipment?

Bill

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think you should request that the guy preserve its body and send it back to you and THEN you can do whatever. i would insist upon proof though personally.

i agree, if that's the one with the battery in the picture, the guy must not be thinking straight.

hey, i'll help beat him up too! :) i dunno about in mud or a bikini, but i could dress up like a ninja! :D

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
Wasn't this one sold as Male? This is the one I wanted to buy from you until I found we decided it was probably male. Some people tend to overexxagerate size a bit, but is it possible it molted during shipment?

Bill
No mention of molt, besides, right when I started talking to you about it, is the last time HE molted, that was less than two months ago.

and yes to the mud wrestling......
Im having a VERY bad week with tarantulas and stuff kinda makes me wanna just give it all up.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Ahhhh, cheer up mebebraz, it's Friday and things can only et better!

Look REEEEL close, the front and back legs are not stretched out. If you stretched the legs out all the way and measured from hair to hair.... do you THINK it could be 6"?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

was proof provided that it had indeed died? if no such proof was shown then i think whomever it could would be tring a scam, simplely tell them no pic of dead t ,or body =no refund of any type, if they don't like it well thats how it goes.... by the way their is no possible way that is 6" lol... -- JEFF